• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
The event of the season - 2 days of hell!

Go Kart Mozart

2 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I would imagine this type of cold shot is not great for lawns that don’t have snow cover over them?

Just massive frost canyons developing when the ground freezes and thaws. Ginxy lets 10 dogs out to go poo and only 5 come back, swallowed by the Earth. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

2 hours ago, alex said:

My lowest was -35 if I remember correctly. Lots of guests with dead batteries. I don’t need that again, ever. 

In January 2009 our frost pocket got down to -36 (dwarfed by Big Black River, of course) and needing to be in Augusta the next morning, I ran the Ranger (and the Subaru for good measure) for 10-15 minutes at 11 PM and again at 2:30 AM.  No problem starting at 6 AM for my commute - money for gas was well spent.  Learned that trick from my first supervisor for Seven Islands' Fort Kent district.  His scout troop, along with numerous fathers, had a January campout at Dickwood Lake, SW from FK and a couple miles from power.  He did the multiple warmup act and when the morning dawned at -37, he was able to jump vehicles off his easily started pickup.

I think the coldest temp here with significant wind was -23 in Jan 2004 - the day with an afternoon high of -11.  (In Fort Kent, we had -34 with gusts 35-40 in Jan 1982.  I had a company-owned Chevy Luv pickup, and even with a good heater hose warmer, the critter barely started.  Had 2-mile visibility in tiny grain snow that morning, too.  Wind blew all day and the max was -14.)

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, tamarack said:

In January 2009 our frost pocket got down to -36 (dwarfed by Big Black River, of course) and needing to be in Augusta the next morning, I ran the Ranger (and the Subaru for good measure) for 10-15 minutes at 11 PM and again at 2:30 AM.  No problem starting at 6 AM for my commute - money for gas was well spent.  Learned that trick from my first supervisor for Seven Islands' Fort Kent district.  His scout troop, along with numerous fathers, had a January campout at Dickwood Lake, SW from FK and a couple miles from power.  He did the multiple warmup act and when the morning dawned at -37, he was able to jump vehicles off his easily started pickup.

I think the coldest temp here with significant wind was -23 in Jan 2004 - the day with an afternoon high of -11.  (In Fort Kent, we had -34 with gusts 35-40 in Jan 1982.  I had a company-owned Chevy Luv pickup, and even with a good heater hose warmer, the critter barely started.  Had 2-mile visibility in tiny grain snow that morning, too.  Wind blew all day and the max was -14.)

I need a house up there.

1 hour ago, CoastalWx said:

Coldest I've ever been in, was around -30 in Bartlett NH back in 94. That was interesting. Just pure radiational cooling. 

Jan 1994 was the coldest month on record for a number of northern Maine sites.  CAR had 10.3/-11.7 for their only subzero month and Allagash had 9.7/-19.9, average -5.1.  Only made it down to -25 at my (then) Gardiner home while the Farmington co-op hit -39 for their coldest temp in their 130-year POR.  The quick thaw late that month also produced the greatest diurnal temp range I've seen in the Northeast - 66° as Clayton Lake went from -24 up to 42.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

I saw -30 one time at my friend's house in Island Pond VT.  He saw -40F there a couple of times

I've experienced -30 twice, once at Middlebury VT during January '04 and once in 2016 at Tupper Lake NY. It's pretty effing cold. In the former case, my car wouldn't start after morning swim practice, so I had to walk from the pool to the dining hall. My hair was a block of ice.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tamarack said:

Jan 1994 was the coldest month on record for a number of northern Maine sites.  CAR had 10.3/-11.7 for their only subzero month and Allagash had 9.7/-19.9, average -5.1.  Only made it down to -25 at my (then) Gardiner home while the Farmington co-op hit -39 for their coldest temp in their 130-year POR.  The quick thaw late that month also produced the greatest diurnal temp range I've seen in the Northeast - 66° as Clayton Lake went from -24 up to 42.

I worked in Springfield MA back then; the Connecticut River was frozen over for a few weeks. Ice got pretty thick from what I was told.

2 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

This is partially cheating due to elevation, but Xmas Eve 1992 skiing at Killington...summit was like -27F that day with raging CAA winds. Prob the closest I came to actual frostbite in my life.

WE went to Stratton on a cold day like that, my friend got a hot chocolate and spilled some on his ski, he bent down to wipe it off and it was already frozen.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

WE went to Stratton on a cold day like that, my friend got a hot chocolate and spilled some on his ski, he bent down to wipe it off and it was already frozen.

Only a 6th grader (like I was at the time) would have fun in that. But even I had to go inside more than I ever usually wanted to. I've been in -20s before in rad pits in NH/VT/ME but when you have those temps with strong wind, it's truly a different experience. The wind almost just slices into the clothing....even when you are trying to stop it with 4 or 5 layers of high-quality arctic gear. You can just never seem to fully keep it out 100%.

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

Only a 6th grader (like I was at the time) would have fun in that. But even I had to go inside more than I ever usually wanted to. I've been in -20s before in rad pits in NH/VT/ME but when you have those temps with strong wind, it's truly a different experience. The wind almost just slices into the clothing....even when you are trying to stop it with 4 or 5 layers of high-quality arctic gear. You can just never seem to fully keep it out 100%.

Yeah, takes some of the fun out it, you make a run or two then go inside, back and forth all day.

My coldest at home was prob Jan 1994....I was living at around 600 feet in ORH at the time where it radiated much better than the airport and my crap thermometer showed -21F....could've been off a few degrees, but regardless, it def was near -20F as I think CEF and ORE hit -20s during those outbreaks.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s different because it’s snow, but I’ll always remember being out for hours during this Watertown LES event. It had it all. Blizzard warning, SN+, and big cold. 

14B03D02-2A3B-48FD-9C1B-A32E8EA2E8EB.thumb.jpeg.56ffeb6edbbdb60a13371b383dc92678.jpeg

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

My coldest at home was prob Jan 1994....I was living at around 600 feet in ORH at the time where it radiated much better than the airport and my crap thermometer showed -21F....could've been off a few degrees, but regardless, it def was near -20F as I think CEF and ORE hit -20s during those outbreaks.

I feel like radiating to -20 or lower was pretty common at Cornell (Game Farm) seemingly happened every year I was there

• Like 1

Fort Kent is a different world from any other place I've lived.  Five coldest mornings:

-47   Jan 17, 1979  ("Only" -40 on the border next to St-Pamphile, PQ.)
-42   Jan 12, 1979
-42   Dec 22, 1980
-41   Jan 12, 1976   11 days after we'd moved up from BGR.  Welcome to the St. John Valley!  9-13 lows: -33/-24/-36/-41/-37.  Only 1/13 got above zero.
-39   Jan 11, 1979

In the 10 Januarys we were in FK, there were 5 days with minima >32.  Ironically, all 5 came in the month noted thrice, above.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What do you think NNE ski resorts will see for temps/ chills  sat am