• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

So far, as I know it, NYC and PHL first measurable of the winter.  Waiting on DC and BWI for which I have yet to find out. 

EC much too heavy with its good axis (18z/31 op) and Canadian models a bit too robust and too far north to I84.

This'll be our blockbuster east coast snow storm. Good old fashioned I-95 special.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wdrag said:

So far, as I know it, NYC and PHL first measurable of the winter.  Waiting on DC and BWI for which I have yet to find out. 

EC much too heavy with its good axis (18z/31 op) and Canadian models a bit too robust and too far north to I84.

The answer is in... All 4 sites in the megalopolis from DCA-BWI-PHL-NYC measured early today... first measurable.  0.2-0.4"

Not sure if anyone saw the flake size in mid town Manhattan around 5A...  snow ratios were probably close to 10 to 1 per guidance.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, RU848789 said:

Been snowing lightly here for about 20 minutes at 29F and we officially have a dusting. which is about 0.1", so my snowless winter is over, lol.  Looks like most places are getting some measurable snow in E PA, most of NJ, NYC/LHV/LI, with my guess being that some bands have delivered at least 1/4" for some and maybe close to 1/2".  Woohoo!

Was outside this morning around 8 am and measured about 0.2" of snow on my car top and back deck (all surfaces were covered, but paved surfaces were covered unevenly). Just got back and we actually still have about the same amount as of 9 am, so very little melted (it's up to 29F from a low around 27F, so it's been below freezing).  Schools had a delayed opening (just kidding).  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MANDA said:

Thank you!  Same here with some events earlier this season.  If that picture is legit it does not look close to .40".

I should have been more clear, my yard looked similar to the photo posted above.  Perhaps a bit more but as pointed out and I agree that I don't think people realize how little .4 is. 

• Like 1

Just now, Volcanic Winter said:

Canada is supposed to stay cold at least, yes? Seems better than Jan where cold was scoured out of all of North America. At the very least doesn’t that by itself allow for some chances if we get “lucky,” or is the ridge simply expected to be so strong it won’t matter?

I don't think we see a repeat of January but probably still a +5 - +7. It's hard to believe we could still see snow with a departure like that but if we cool down after mid month we could sneak out something

• Like 2

Had a few mins and was on climate.gov looking over temperature records for a station down by me out of curiosity. I landed on Jan 1962 which averaged 32 degrees at the Freehold station. However, it was comprised of multiple warmups to near 60 degrees (very familiar to us) but was completely offset by days with a high of 30 and lows in the low teens (seems less familiar these days). Just picked one random winter I can’t recall much about from discussion here.

Obviously winters varied even then, but I still find it interesting how frequent we seem to be missing the colder part of the equation. It still happens obviously, but winters then seemed to have a different character fairly often IMO. 

It’s definitely interesting to go back and review daily temperature record keeping. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Had a few mins and was on climate.gov looking over temperature records for a station down by me out of curiosity. I landed on Jan 1962 which averaged 32 degrees at the Freehold station. However, it was comprised of multiple warmups to near 60 degrees (very familiar to us) but was completely offset by days with a high of 30 and lows in the low teens (seems less familiar these days). Just picked one random winter I can’t recall much about from discussion here.

Obviously winters varied even then, but I still find it interesting how frequent we seem to be missing the colder part of the equation. It still happens obviously, but winters then seemed to have a different character fairly often IMO. 

It’s definitely interesting to go back and review daily temperature record keeping. 

Look up 1966-67 and how long that season was, into deep March and even April and May

From a Xmas eve snowstorm to near 0 in March with heavy snow lol and a blizzard in February in between.

1966-67 and 2002-03 were two of the most underrated awesome winters

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Volcanic Winter said:

Canada is supposed to stay cold at least, yes? Seems better than Jan where cold was scoured out of all of North America. At the very least doesn’t that by itself allow for some chances if we get “lucky,” or is the ridge simply expected to be so strong it won’t matter?

Ensembles have kicked the can somewhat the last few cycles...the 00Z GEFS in the D9-12 period showed no SE ridge whereas 5-6 runs earlier it was raging...I would not call the pattern the next 15 days a shutout pattern at all...something could definitely sneak up

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

we're literally splitting hairs though.

meanwhile it looks like JFK didn't measure anything?

JFK has always had measuring problems...the last 3 years or so they have improved alot because I believe they were told much like BOS/PHL/DTW/DEN airports they were going to have their measuring revoked and moved off the grounds to an observer.  I still think there is a chance in the future that might happen because they've been consistently low for 30-40 years on measurements though better recently

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Allsnow said:

Feels like winter this morning. I guess I’ll consider that a win 

Yeah it was nice to finally see a little white on the ground. I had a 0.2" coating here. For several days I thought this was NYC's best chance to finally end the snowless streak, so I'm glad it worked out. 

Very sad though that this was our best event of the winter so far, and it appears that we won't have another chance for a long time. Quite a blowtorch pattern coming after the brief arctic shot. We have a chance of going the whole winter without an inch of snow, but we'll see if we can get something in late February or March. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

JFK has always had measuring problems...the last 3 years or so they have improved alot because I believe they were told much like BOS/PHL/DTW/DEN airports they were going to have their measuring revoked and moved off the grounds to an observer.  I still think there is a chance in the future that might happen because they've been consistently low for 30-40 years on measurements though better recently

I always thought that 69 inches measurement from 1995-96 was highly suspect, no one was below 70 inches that winter and most were above 80 inches.

1 minute ago, LibertyBell said:

I always thought that 69 inches measurement from 1995-96 was highly suspect, no one was below 70 inches that winter and most were above 80 inches.

I think they have 2 issues...they do not have a great measuring spot and the spots they were choosing were bad...maybe they have recently found a better location.  I think Denver airport ultimately does not measure on the grounds because of the fact the wind would just not allow for an ideal spot to measure.  BOS is the same.  

• Like 1

Records

Highs:

EWR: 68 (1989)
NYC: 67 (1989)
LGA: 66 (1989)

Lows:

EWR: 1 (1935)
NYC: -2 (1920)
LGA: 3 (1961)

Hostorical"

1951 - The greatest ice storm of record in the U.S. produced glaze up to four inches thick from Texas to Pennsylvania causing twenty-five deaths, 500 serious injuries, and 100 million dollars damage. Tennessee was hardest hit by the storm. Communications and utilities were interrupted for a week to ten days. (David Ludlum)

- While arctic cold continued to invade the central U.S., fifty-four cities in the south central and eastern U.S. reported new record high temperatures for the date. Russell KS, the hot spot in the nation with a high of 84 degrees the previous day, reported a morning low of 12 above. Tioga ND reported a wind chill reading of 90 degrees below zero. (The National Weather Summary)

• Like 3

39 minutes ago, SnowGoose69 said:

I think they have 2 issues...they do not have a great measuring spot and the spots they were choosing were bad...maybe they have recently found a better location.  I think Denver airport ultimately does not measure on the grounds because of the fact the wind would just not allow for an ideal spot to measure.  BOS is the same.  

DTW is measured just outside airport grounds in a location more suitable for snow measurement. I heard a lot of airports were doing this. Really, isn't that the best case scenario. You want accuracy.

• Like 2