• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey

54 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah people forget about that storm. I had 14" and 30 for the month. Plus it was almost entirely a daytime storm with 2 to 3" rates though the blizzard conditions never materialized

That month I measured 40.5". Next for me in my lifetime was Feb 2021 with just under 36"

2 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

It was called the Snowicaine, and it wasn't 20 inches in the immediate NYC area; more like a foot. Some areas got the higher amounts but not CNJ. We had between 8-13 around Middlesex County; Woodbridge reported 8, Edison reports were of 13. It was decent but overall the whole winter was disappointing for us compared to the Mid Atlantic, but it was absolutely a great winter by this years standards....it was said that the NJ suburbs of NYC were " too far north for 2/6 and too far south for 2/26..." we made up for it the next year though. I think those big winters might just be over for us, but who knows. Certainly DC has had nothing like it since.

I had 21" from snowicane in Astoria, Queens.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Wxoutlooksblog said:

I think wet snow as this second low center moves away is a stretch but not impossible. I'm very skeptical. Anyway, beyond this it's just warmer and warmer and warmer. We'll probably hit 70 sometime this month.

WX/PT

We are going to see record early blooms this season and the ecological impacts could be very damaging due to the record warm Jan/Feb combo. 

We're already seeing leafouts 3+ weeks ahead of schedule in the SE. My forecast is mainly 50s & 60s with even warmer days mid Feb possible. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vegan_edible said:

Euro playing games with my heart rn

The Euro is probably closer to reality than the GFS...but the CMC/Icon idea of basically a miss or weak follow up wave is more likely.  The GFS failing to pull the entire baroclinic zone east and still taking a storm inland is probably not realistic at all

• Like 1

Blustery winds are pushing a colder air mass into the region. Once again, as has been the theme this winter, the cold won't last long.

Generally above normal and much above normal temperatures will continue into at least early next week. During the February 10-11 period, there is a chance that a storm could bring some frozen precipitation to interior areas. There remains a large amount of uncertainty.

The potential exists for temperatures to run generally above to much above normal through mid-month. Both the CFSv2 and EPS weeklies show much above normal temperatures through the second week of February. Afterward, temperatures could cool during the closing 7-10 days of the month. There is disagreement among the ensembles about whether it will turn colder for a sustained period or just briefly.

In terms of ENSO, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly went positive for the week centered around February 1st. That is the first positive reading since a +0.2 anomaly during the week centered around October 6, 2021.

The ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly was +0.1°C and the Region 3.4 anomaly was -0.5°C for the week centered around February 1. For the past six weeks, the ENSO Region 1+2 anomaly has averaged -0.23°C and the ENSO Region 3.4 anomaly has averaged -0.65°C. La Niña conditions are beginning to fade and they should evolve to neutral conditions during late winter or early spring.

The SOI was +10.81 today.

The preliminary Arctic Oscillation (AO) was +1.602 today.

On February 4 the MJO was in Phase 3 at an amplitude of 1.671 (RMM). The February 3-adjusted amplitude was 1.560 (RMM).

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

It was called the Snowicaine, and it wasn't 20 inches in the immediate NYC area; more like a foot. Some areas got the higher amounts but not CNJ. We had between 8-13 around Middlesex County; Woodbridge reported 8, Edison reports were of 13. It was decent but overall the whole winter was disappointing for us compared to the Mid Atlantic, but it was absolutely a great winter by this years standards....it was said that the NJ suburbs of NYC were " too far north for 2/6 and too far south for 2/26..." we made up for it the next year though. I think those big winters might just be over for us, but who knows. Certainly DC has had nothing like it since.

The February 26, 2010 storm actually did bring over 20 inches to New York City. Actually 20.9 inches in Central Park.

That’s still the biggest snowfall of my life up in orange county, highland mills and Monroe both recorded 35 inches from that storm. I think we’re confusing two different events here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

The February 26, 2010 storm actually did bring over 20 inches to New York City. Actually 20.9 inches in Central Park.

That’s still the biggest snowfall of my life up in orange county, highland mills and Monroe both recorded 35 inches from that storm. I think we’re confusing two different events here.

No its the same storm. His area just did worse than nyc. I'm near him and had about a foot

• Like 1

8 hours ago, WX-PA said:

Blizzard of 1978..the most snow I ever saw on Long Island..Measured 25 inches with 6 foot snow drifts. Still the greatest snowstorm in my life!! Today's the 45th anniversary..Cheers to the big one!  For Long Island and New England

Same here.  Still the greatest winter storm I have seen on LI.  I bought a few of these back in December, but saved one for tonight:

20230206_193607.jpg

SyossetNY19780207-1.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, weatherpruf said:

Don’t forget about the second storm that month that dropped 15-20 in our area. I had over 30 inches for the month in Feb 2010. You make it sound like we were living in sne that year when they missed on every storm 

8 hours ago, Stormlover74 said:

Yeah people forget about that storm. I had 14" and 30 for the month. Plus it was almost entirely a daytime storm with 2 to 3" rates though the blizzard conditions never materialized

7 hours ago, FPizz said:

That month I measured 40.5". Next for me in my lifetime was Feb 2021 with just under 36"

@weatherpruf said we missed out that month haha

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

58 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

Don’t forget about the second storm that month that dropped 15-20 in our area. I had over 30 inches for the month in Feb 2010. You make it sound like we were living in sne that year when they missed on every storm 

They didn’t miss the Feb 26 storm in New England it rained the whole time there while we got a blizzard.  It was beautiful. 

• Like 1