Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

16 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

Discussion about this winter triggered many in CT.

Disagree!!

I definitely had my moment! But now... I have succumbed to the fact that this Winter might be one of the worst Winters yet. The good news is, we can't get any worse next year ( I hope ). 

Today's weather is amazing... No way to not enjoy it.

10 minutes ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

Ya they (over to Taos) and S Colorado  really seemed to move toward a more active pattern after getting a bit passed over to the north in December 

Flagstaff had 61 inches in January....been slow to start Feb but they will get blasted again it looks like early/mid next week.

I love their weather in late winter though....yesterday they had a high of 50F and a low of 6F....lol. No wonder the snow doesn't melt fast there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah or flagstaff arizona. They’ll get a 35 inch snowstorm surrounded by 57 degree days. 

Also crazy low dews in the southern Rockies. I remember skiing Taos on a sunny 50-degree March day back in 2000 and being amazed at how good the snow still was - not slushy, and almost powdery. Nothing like skiing on corduroy and then having beers on the deck in shirt-sleeves. Gotta remember the sunscreen though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Magnet .. no stickers ever on vehicles 

I’m also against stickers but I have one for various work lots.  But they’re on windows.  In 55 years of voting I never once had a political sticker.  Like somebody driving by gives a hoot…lol.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I’m also against stickers but I have one for various work lots.  But they’re on windows.  In 58 years of voting I never once had a political sticker.  Like somebody driving by gives a hoot…lol.

The people that put political magnets/ stickers on cars are simply doing it to piss people off . There’s no other agenda  . Mine with the 26.2 and Treehouse are normal . Drink beer and run off the calories.. lol. And the Uconn one for my oldest daughter 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, PWMan said:

Also crazy low dews in the southern Rockies. I remember skiing Taos on a sunny 50-degree March day back in 2000 and being amazed at how good the snow still was - not slushy, and almost powdery. Nothing like skiing on corduroy and then having beers on the deck in shirt-sleeves. Gotta remember the sunscreen though.

Yep. And the snow doesn’t melt fast either at those dews. Also helps they have to “waste” a lot of the sun energy just heating up the pack again…even with high temps of 50+ when the overnight low is 7 degrees. 

Only huge drawback there is the droughts. They can get bad at times. 

1 hour ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

I almost wonder if the Stowe Snow stake has maxed out at end of January . Settled a bit the last week ..then Melt a little More today and then add a few tonite and then nada for A week Till a cutter 

I still think most of you are ending things way too early but understand how you guys get there.  It’s like saying there won’t be another 4 inches in SNE in early Feb.  Could be right but it’s hard to wager that unless in full despair.  

The mountain can get like 100” in April.  I’ve seen enough big late spikes to know calling it at 42” at beginning of Feb seems ill advised.  But purely from statistics.

Depth dropped 2” in the 40s and rain last night.  Even the mild valley days it can be 50F in town and 35F with little snowpack change on the mountain.  Hard to go steadily downhill from this point without ever rebounding.

We’ll see… forecast is for 3-7” tonight.

Tonight
Snow showers. Low around 11. Wind chill values as low as -5. Windy, with a northwest wind 26 to 31 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%. New snow accumulation of 3 to 7 inches possible. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

The people that put political magnets/ stickers on cars are simply doing it to piss people off . There’s no other agenda  . Mine with the 26.2 and Treehouse are normal . Drink beer and run off the calories.. lol. And the Uconn one for my oldest daughter 

They have Treehouse magnets?   I’ve seen their stickers