Total Members
    Most Online
    12bet1 net
    Newest Member
    12bet1 net
February 2023 Obs/Discussion

Baroclinic Zone

4 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Pretty dismal on this tenth of February, in the year of our lord 2023. Most of interior Maine and NH is sittin' pretty sweet though. 

59F and mostly sunny. The station a mile or so to my east at 0ft just popped to 59 from 39 about an hour ago.

nohrsc_full_sd.png

Young SNE weenies grew a strand of chest hair this season. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The last MJO phase 8 attempt in January was a fail. Those RMM charts are very noisy. The problem is the atmosphere is still solidly into La Niña “mode”. The Niña standing wave convection over the warm pool (eastern IO/maritime continent) is going destructively interfere with the MJO wave as it tries to propagate out into the PAC. The trades are still strong, which isn’t helping either, shears the wave apart. The SOI is still very solidly into Niña territory as well, so even though it’s starting to fade at the surface/SSTs and subsurface, it’s still well coupled to the atmosphere. IMO this turns into another phase 8 fail

Makes sense 

@CoastalWx would you not agree or are you tanning this am

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The 4 Seasons said:

Pretty dismal on this tenth of February, in the year of our lord 2023. Most of interior Maine and NH is sittin' pretty sweet though. 

59F and mostly sunny. The station a mile or so to my east at 0ft just popped to 59 from 39 about an hour ago.

nohrsc_full_sd.png

I can say for a certainty, that the whole crown of N. Maine is WAY OVER 24”…Way over. They are getting 5-10” now too. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, The 4 Seasons said:

nohrsc_full_sd.png

That gray and white is going to get wiped out today; up to 4". 

I don't think it's sitting pretty until you find those shades of 6". Areas south/east of that line have had a ton of mixed crap. In a crap pattern I'd much prefer to be far away from the NNE glacier so as to avoid meso highs --> meso lows that aid to sock in 35-40 dank. There's hell to pay for the "brightness" of a snow pack in a shit pattern, and that is, ironically more darkness.

9 hours ago, mreaves said:

That makes sense. I’ve had a pretty good week up here. Not epic miles for a lot of guys but nearing 600 for the four days of riding I’ve had with one more to go tomorrow. Huge group today, 36 sleds. We rode from Limestone to Portage. People from as far away as Nova Scotia and western NY. 

C6D5F732-67DB-4662-958F-38DA4F8A26DE.jpeg

C565BC8D-7A5E-446E-BAD4-568C5547ECED.jpeg

That's about 30 more then i would ride with.............:)

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I don't think it's sitting pretty until you find those shades of 6". Areas south/east of that line have had a ton of mixed crap. In a crap pattern I'd much prefer to be far away from the NNE glacier so as to avoid meso highs --> meso lows that aid to sock in 35-40 dank. There's hell to pay for the "brightness" of a snow pack in a shit pattern, and that is, ironically more darkness.

Not dank today. CAA ftw.

image.jpeg

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Not dank today. CAA ftw.

image.jpeg

Oh it's gorgeous right now. But was pissed to wake up today to dense fog. Lost a few hours of sun.

The point is though, with the glacier close we're much more at risk of getting socked in or reducing the window of a break out to spring-like warm sector, than points 50+ miles south. It's an annoyance I'd much rather not have when the winter pattern, generally sucks.

43 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

I had 6" at 7PM and 5" this morning (officially - obviously varies around the yard).  The pack here is incredibly dense.  I'm thinking my 7AM obs tomorrow is at 3".

9 minutes ago, CT Rain said:

Might be a scalping too based on the soundings. 

Yeah 900-925 is pretty cold while it's a bit torchy up near 850....my guess is underneath the best fronto/lift, it would prob go to parachutes, but outside of that we could see a lot of scalping with that colder BL underneath....this is all hypothetical of course, most likely we don't get any meaningful precip out of this.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, tunafish said:

I had 6" at 7PM and 5" this morning (officially - obviously varies around the yard).  The pack here is incredibly dense.  I'm thinking my 7AM obs tomorrow is at 3".

Yea I had a shit ton of ice too. Rain-soaked pack, a lot of which frozen in the snow as temps dipped. I mean, it really sucked bc it made the walking surfaces treacherous long after we lost the wintry appeal. Not a fan. Happy we torched it.

2 minutes ago, jbenedet said:

Yea I had a shit ton of ice too. Rain-soaked pack, a lot of which frozen in the snow as temps dipped. I mean, it really sucked bc it made the walking surfaces treacherous long after we lost the wintry appeal. Not a fan. Happy we torched it.

Yes, very similar here.  While I appreciate the slow melt, I am also at the point where I want it refreshed or gone.  It's useless as is.