Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Midwest/Ohio Valley/Great Lakes Snow January 24-26

Baum

6 minutes ago, Chinook said:

At my place, snow is covering the grass, mainly. Below: this SPC mesoscale discussion for snow is probably the only time I'm going to get a mesoscale discussion at my location for quite some time.

mcd0105.gif

Damn I’m pretty happy with that time to go read! Get to be home to watch the main course

I just as I posted the SPC mesoscale discussion graphic, and now... the big snowflakes are here. There are aggregate snowflakes or whatever the term is, snowflakes sticking to snowflakes. It's going to be accumulating 1" per hour for a couple of hours at least.

2023_01_25_1539z_KIWX_snow1.jpg

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chinook said:

I just as I posted the SPC mesoscale discussion graphic, and now... the big snowflakes are here. There are aggregate snowflakes or whatever the term is, snowflakes sticking to snowflakes. It's going to be accumulating 1" per hour for a couple of hours at least.

2023_01_25_1539z_KIWX_snow1.jpg

Thanks for representing the Toledo area.  A bit frustrated with some of the holes in the radar early on but things seem to be filling in nicely now.  Just need the wet-bulbing to kick in and get the temp under 32..

Pretty rare to see the low slide just to our SE and not get dry slotted.  This only happens about 5% of the time in these parts.  Would of like a little more front end stuff though.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, sbnwx85 said:

Should add that we’re losing some of this to melting. I can hear the water dripping down the waterspouts.

While the grass is (finally) covered for the first time this season, I'm debating if I should even clear my long-a$$ driveway. Between the relatively warm asphalt, a bit of solar energy, and melting it looks ma nature might just take care of it for me by the afternoon, leaving me just a few spots to clean up with a shovel. Perk of marginal temps & warm-ish ground temps.

4 hours ago, Chicago WX said:

Looking at CoCoRaHS reports so far, the 10:1 or less crowd is taking a beating. :D

What are some ratio reports so far?

Whatever they are, I would suspect a lowering trend now (especially outside of the primary heavy banding) as temps nudge up.  It's snowing here but not really accumulating at this point.

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

It's beautiful out. Obviously I would have liked better ratios but that was completely expected with this storm.  Next several hours should be fun

I dont think ive seen a sexier radar for the east side. If the low closes off and slows down just a lil, could be double digits

Short term models were spot on with this yesterday.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Brian D said:

Snowing here with 1" so far this morning from a separate little clipper moving SE. Winds off the lake enhancing the snow a little. The energy is washing out over WI as it moves into the bigger system you guys are getting now.

Pixie dust here all morning. Probably still under or around a half inch, looks to have on/off snow here through Friday. 

3 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

I dont think ive seen a sexier radar for the east side. If the low closes off and slows down just a lil, could be double digits

Short term models were spot on with this yesterday.

There's many different ways to rate a storm. In terms of rates, the best rates we've actually seen here in recent years we're on February 4th, 2021 when we saw that in the same band come through and give us nearly 3" in one hour, but the event itself only lasted 3 hours and dropped 4.2". Then of course, a few weeks after that we had an 11" snow storm on the 15th and 16th but it came over the course of 2 days and was a bit drawn out. Last Winter, the much maligned February 2nd and 3rd event came in 2 waves, a very underperforming 6" with wave 1 and 3" with wave 2. Then a few weeks after that we had another storm drop nearly 7". 

So we've had several different good events but each of them has their own thing to pick apart. With this event, I'd have to say the ratios would be what I pick at but it will be remembered for the consistency of the models and several hours of HEAVY snowfall!

2 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

There's many different ways to rate a storm. In terms of rates, the best rates we've actually seen here in recent years we're on February 4th, 2021 when we saw that in the same band come through and give us nearly 3" in one hour, but the event itself only lasted 3 hours and dropped 4.2". Then of course, a few weeks after that we had an 11" snow storm on the 15th and 16th but it came over the course of 2 days and was a bit drawn out. Last Winter, the much maligned February 2nd and 3rd event came in 2 waves, a very underperforming 6" with wave 1 and 3" with wave 2. Then a few weeks after that we had another storm drop nearly 7". 

So we've had several different good events but each of them has their own thing to pick apart. With this event, I'd have to say the ratios would be what I pick at but it will be remembered for the consistency of the models and several hours of HEAVY snowfall!

Yea long story short, again the radar as a whole for the east side, is as good as it gets as far as rates, coverage etc. This looks to last atleast 4 hours which doesnt happen very often.I've seen these bands end up to our nw so many times over the years with lows taking this path, it's just nice to see it happen for the east side, mostly macomb. Alot of my friends in the Shelby twp area are reporting power outages, so I think the heavy nature of it may be causing issues.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Hoosier said:

What are some ratio reports so far?

Whatever they are, I would suspect a lowering trend now (especially outside of the primary heavy banding) as temps nudge up.  It's snowing here but not really accumulating at this point.

You can’t find the website? :P

But of course, ratios are much lower now. Still, point stands…overnight snows were greater than 10:1.