Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Midwest/Ohio Valley/Great Lakes Snow January 24-26

Baum

Just now, michsnowfreak said:

Pretty pic but I actually was mad to see the sun today. I don't care that it's been cloudy 95% of the time this Winter or that more snow is on the way, I just can't stand to see sun melting snow lol.

It is sad to see as I’m sitting at lunch but at least we are all getting some Vitamin D for a change. I loved how all the trees and shrubs were covered yesterday 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Pretty pic but I actually was mad to see the sun today. I don't care that it's been cloudy 95% of the time this Winter or that more snow is on the way, I just can't stand to see sun melting snow lol.

At least it's not 50F like the day b4 the storms last winter, but yeah, the one day we get a "warm sun" go figure!

23 minutes ago, bowtie` said:

The latest accumulation map from IND and their winter storm briefing has me (Boone county) at 8' to 12" and LAF at 6" to 8".
"

They've been advertising the highest amounts just north and west of Indy for a couple days.   Think thats where they expect the least issues with liquid and if/any trowal type banding to establish.  I'm 40 miles NE of you and that map has a similar cutoff 20 miles to my SE.  I'd take it with a grain of rock salt.

27 minutes ago, Chicago WX said:

Rain? :P
But, seems LAF is right on the line or close to it, on several models for a good hit. Hope it happens. And for our other Indiana people too. 

I like the 6" mark or so for LAF.  Maybe a tad more.  

Would go with the heaviest JUST n/w of Indy, but it's very close and certainly within the realm of possibility that they end up in the heaviest band.  But I think I'd rather be out toward Zionsville or Lebanon.

43 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Hrrr continues to be very anemic on snow amounts up this way compared to other guidance. Curious if that's a more realistic outcome with the marginal sfc temps or if it's underestimating compared to other hi-res guidance. 

With how dynamic this system is and the lack of wind, I doubt we see below 10:1. If anything looking at the HRRR compared to the NAM it looks like convective robbery happening from the thunderstorms in the south. You can see how the storm sort of "dries" out substantially on the HRRR 

15 minutes ago, nwohweather said:

With how dynamic this system is and the lack of wind, I doubt we see below 10:1. If anything looking at the HRRR compared to the NAM it looks like convective robbery happening from the thunderstorms in the south. You can see how the storm sort of "dries" out substantially on the HRRR 

That's always that possibility with these southern stream waves. And with no phasing happening you're really depending on all that moisture getting north into the cold sector.

11 minutes ago, SchaumburgStormer said:

LOT popping the advisory for the whole area. Seems like overkill for areas north of I-80

They are hitting on Alek's secondary band idea in the afd.

Definitely concerned about ending up in the minima zone here, with heavier amounts south and also somewhat heavier amounts north.  Various guidance tries to smooth it over around here via lake contribution, but temps may be a bit too mild by then and result in junk snow.  Guess we'll see.