Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 15-16 2023 Storm Potential

Baroclinic Zone

46 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

my wunderground forecast just changed to snowier, with periods of snow and an inch today.  radar doesn't show anything, maybe some meso?

Id sell an inch, but there could be some more snow/sleet showers as the stuff off PWM tries to rotate southwest. Mesos show it to varying degrees, but it should be weakening. 

4 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Serious question Steve…for my family (basically my household, mother in law and son’s gf) I told them I expected maybe a coating.   The Euro was somewhat inconsistent with that band.  Not that I expected it to be in one place on modeling.  

What would you have forecast for my area out through Pete?

:huh:   that's your household ...?

HOLY shit what a deliciously tedious hovel of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest that's gotta be.   So how many times a year does the local PD park at angles across the front lawn with their roofs lit up

lol -

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

they were also honking about big ice storm in DE with lots of outages

I don't like to use that word in general around here because it evokes 1998, but coupled with words like major the messaging can get out of control quickly. 

We'll see how it plays out Downeast, but with a forecast of 0.5-0.75" flat ice I could live with significant ice storm. Major? That's like 1" radial (so more like 1.5" flat).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, tunafish said:

best rates of the event right now, at least since initial wave last evening.  all snow too as CC has the line running from rockland to augusta right now.

You could actually see the mixed precip wash out between Augusta and Bath as it ran into colder air to the southwest. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, UnitedWx said:

I saw a couple roads closed myself coming in from westfield. Route 189 north of Granby center is closed so I had to detour. Of course I took Mountain Road up the hill. Snowing pretty good heading up towards Hartland

https://www.wfsb.com/2023/01/16/rt-189-granby-closed-after-vehicle-crashes-into-utility-pole/

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

:huh:   that's your household ...?

HOLY shit what a deliciously tedious hovel of One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest that's gotta be.   So how many times a year does the local PD park at angles across the front lawn with their roofs lit up

lol -

Lol... no... my mother in law and son's girlfriend don't live here. That would be rugged. But we are with them enough and they have to drive in it so I count them.  

In a week our son goes back to Rhode Island for his final semester so that will help a bit

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WxWatcher007 said:

A special TWO is all we’ll get from the NHC, but it’s impressive nonetheless. Kind of tells you everything you need to know about the season so far.

82366500.gif?0.882648759236235

I enjoyed the 0% chance of tropical cyclone formation.

Well it's 0% because they get to make the call on whether it's tropical or not. :lol:

Strictly speaking I would say it's a decidedly non-zero percent chance that it is subtropical. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

I enjoyed the 0% chance of tropical cyclone formation.

Well it's 0% because they get to make the call on whether it's tropical or not. :lol:

Strictly speaking I would say it's a decidedly non-zero percent chance that it is subtropical. 

It’s 100 percent subtropical