Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

10 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I don't think it's what we wanted. It definitely moved towards the euro and cmc with dampening out the lead wave and Amping up the next one by the time cold air is moving out.

I’m after first flakes.  Works for me even though it’s pathetic.  

14 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

I don't think it's what we wanted. It definitely moved towards the euro and cmc with dampening out the lead wave and Amping up the next one by the time cold air is moving out.

Verbatim the GFS has ~.2-.3" QPF falling over the course of 12 hours (mostly overnight) with temps in the mid 30s. As shown that could provide the first flakes/coating for most of the central subforum area, but as you said it seems to be trending weaker as that second wave comes in stronger and much too late.

6 minutes ago, Cobalt said:

Verbatim the GFS has ~.2-.3" QPF falling over the course of 12 hours (mostly overnight) with temps in the mid 30s. As shown that could provide the first flakes/coating for most of the central subforum area, but as you said it seems to be trending weaker as that second wave comes in stronger and much too late.

As is I think We would all take. 

I was just pointing out it moved towards the euro/cmc of more emphasis on the Sunday/Monday deal which by that time is probably too warm.. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, WEATHER53 said:

It’s a very wet and non typical Nina so models can’t get things right except for cutters.  Analogs from back on 12/24 showed the two week mild up with a cool/cold down two weeks later.  That starts Thursday.  Cold air is only thing that matters for DC, without it the placement and tracks of the lows  mean zero and right now models cannot predict low pressure movements anyway. 

Low on the coast for Saturday morning is now high in the same place instead in a six hour span.  Just ridiculous. 

27 minutes ago, Chris78 said:

Looks like 2 or 3 chances starting this weekend. Can we maybe hit on 1 of them?

The initial wave this weekend looks like it's going to be squeezed underneath the ridge breaking over the top- the vorticity gets stretched out into an elongated ribbon as it moves east. Limited potential with that one imo. The second one for early next week has a bit more potential for coastal development depending on the timing of that NS vort digging down, shown below on the 18z GFS. A little too 'behind' this run.

1673319600-Ias5DA5Ooq8.png

Later in the week, we shall see, but the general evolution on the 18z run is intriguing with the previous wave acting as a 50-50 low. Looks cold enough, but just a bit suppressed. We got some chances. Timing and exact location of the waves is super critical with progressive flow.

1673503200-yVyKrpil1AU.png

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Ji said:
1 hour ago, Chris78 said:
Looks like 2 or 3 chances starting this weekend. Can we maybe hit on 1 of them?

Probably not

First one gets shredded.

Second one is too warm

3rd is a bomb that misses us but crushes the Northeast.

Sound about right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Kevin Reilly said:

So, a 33% Chance.  So, you are telling me we have a chance!!

So, the more chances we have the lower our chance of getting snow?  Got it! Lol

Agree the middle of the month looks the most promising at this point, but I am not sleeping on the first two.  At least we finally have some tracking to do.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

We usually need that many for one to work out - it’d be kind of funny if we score on one in what was a period that looked sub optimal with the pacific wave train crashing into CA.

You mean the "atmospheric river"? That is what the media has dubbed the stj aimed at CA. Bomb cyclones, atmospheric rivers, polar vortex mania....no wonder people don't want to watch the mews anymore.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic