Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

7 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

You mean the "atmospheric river"? That is what the media has dubbed the stj aimed at CA. Bomb cyclones, atmospheric rivers, polar vortex mania....no wonder people don't want to watch the mews anymore. 

The term atmospheric river was coined by Zhu and Newell at MIT in 1998: https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/mwre/126/3/1520-0493_1998_126_0725_apafmf_2.0.co_2.xml The polar vortex and bomb cyclones have been discussed in academic contexts for decades. Just because something is new to you doesn’t mean it’s new, and the media using correct terminology in public communication is a good thing even when these terms are unfamiliar to you. 

• Like 11

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

I know, I know...I'm bit movie illiterate, haha To give you an idea of how bad it is...I only just watched "It's A Wonderful Life" for the first time last week...lol

I'm workin' on it!

First time watching RoadHouse yesterday.

”Pain don’t hurt” is an all time quote.

That and “I f*cked guys like you in prison”

The overall pattern for 11th and 15th windows look good with east-based +PNA over central US building because of troughs in the Pacific and lots of Canadian ridging, which is also supported by NPJ being in a more favorable position(one worry is that guidance extends the jet again which would push it OTS though) and MJO progressing into phase 8. The main issue isn't the pattern but the airmass(cold air supply).

Imo 15th event is best chance we've had so far this year based on upper-air pattern and the strong signal on the ensembles as well as the MJO supporting it. If we can get a strong banana high over Canada and the SLP takes a good track cold air wouldn't be as much of a worry.

gfs-ens_uv250_npac_42.png
gfs-ens_z500a_namer_32.png

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_44.png

image.png

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Maestrobjwa said:

What old movie/show is that? Lol

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

I know your younger but really? 

Eta: Casablanca...Bogey....a classic. 

I was just going to say... Surely everyone would recognize Bogey and Casablanca! Now... Get off my lawn you youngsters while I go watch some silent movies! :lol:

ETA... Bit of trivia. Bogey's character Rick never actually says the phrase, "Play it again, Sam!" He does say, "Play it Sam, play it again! If you can play it for her, you can play it for me!" 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Always in Zugzwang said:

I was just going to say... Surely everyone would recognize Bogey and Casablanca! Now... Get off my lawn you youngsters while I go watch some silent movies! :lol:

ETA... Bit of trivia. Bogey's character Rick never actually says the phrase, "Play it again, Sam!" He does say, "Play it Sam, play it again! If you can play it for her, you can play it for me!" 

Ya know who first told me about that misnomer? My first Music Theory teacher, lol (now I know what movie he was referring to!)

Hey don't forget your ragtime/stride music with that silent movie (actually currently working on a ragtime piece, lol)

The fast, rather zonal flow tends to produce weak waves with little chance for surface development, so the chances of seeing anything of significance over the weekend looks pretty low. The wave for early next week looks to have a bit more potential across guidance(esp the CMC op). Temperature issues ofc. Late next week into the weekend continues to look like the best window for a combination of a stronger event with some decent cold- the signal for frozen precip on the ens means is clearly the highest during that period.

• Like 9

Latest GEFSX indicates that the persistent trough off the west coast will shift eastward with a ridge building in the PNA/EPO space for late Jan. There are hints of that at the end of the latest GEFS runs. Perhaps an indication of the MJO forcing shifting into the western Pac, with some modulation of the Pacific jet. The general HL look is also better, with hints of a -NAO.

1675036800-VXsIcc7ETUY.png

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

The fast, rather zonal flow tends to produce weak waves with little chance for surface development, so the chances of seeing anything of significance over the weekend looks pretty low. The wave for early next week looks to have a bit more potential across guidance(esp the CMC op). Temperature issues ofc. Late next week into the weekend continues to look like the best window for a combination of a stronger event with some decent cold- the signal for frozen precip on the ens means is clearly the highest during that period.

Is the late next week deal the first time the EPS has shown something trackable this winter? I just may not have been paying attention but it seems to be. 
A good cluster of LPs off the NC coast but the trough is still positively tilted so the mean is a bit more offshore than we’d like. But a signal for a coastal low and this far out, all we can ask for. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Latest GEFSX indicates that the persistent trough off the west coast will shift eastward with a ridge building in the PNA/EPO space for late Jan. There are hints of that at the end of the latest GEFS runs. Perhaps an indication of the MJO forcing shifting into the western Pac, with some modulation of the Pacific jet. The general HL look is also better, with hints of a -NAO.

That’s a preferred look IMO. A broad trough as opposed to a sharp one. Different ways to score.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Is the late next week deal the first time the EPS has shown something trackable this winter? I just may not have been paying attention but it seems to be. 
A good cluster of LPs off the NC coast but the trough is still positively tilted so the mean is a bit more offshore than we’d like. But a signal for a coastal low and this far out, all we can ask for. 

Not sure on that, but it has been pretty consistent with a signal around mid month, as has the GEFS. The mean low position is a tad offshore which is pretty typical in a progressive pattern. The exact position/amplitude of the western ridge as it shifts east will be critical.

12 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Despite a trough in the west, that’s actually a colder look I’ve seen in a while. Worth noting that trough entering the aleutians with a poleward alaskan ridge beginning to pop. Previous runs were mostly zonal flow right from the pacific. 

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic