Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Mid/Long Range Disco 2

WinterWxLuvr

10 hours ago, WinterFire said:

The term atmospheric river was coined by Zhu and Newell at MIT in 1998: https://journals.ametsoc.org/view/journals/mwre/126/3/1520-0493_1998_126_0725_apafmf_2.0.co_2.xml The polar vortex and bomb cyclones have been discussed in academic contexts for decades. Just because something is new to you doesn’t mean it’s new, and the media using correct terminology in public communication is a good thing even when these terms are unfamiliar to you. 

Actually, atmospheric river terminology began back in the early 90s by Zhu iirc. I remember discussing research papers in 1995 back at Penn State. My point wasn't that these terms are made up...we all know what a polar vortex is so I really hope you don't think I was implying this is new. I was saying the media tends to use these terms to bombard the general public and was poking fun while trying to keep things light in here. In any event, I always preferred the term Pineapple Express wrt the West Coast stj impacts tho both are fairly Interchangeable.

• Like 2

Is the late next week deal the first time the EPS has shown something trackable this winter? I just may not have been paying attention but it seems to be. 
A good cluster of LPs off the NC coast but the trough is still positively tilted so the mean is a bit more offshore than we’d like. But a signal for a coastal low and this far out, all we can ask for. 

I think it’s the best shot all year, but we’re still so far out and a lot has to go right leading up to that wave….so we wait…

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Actually, atmospheric river terminology began back in the early 90s by Zhu iirc. I remember discussing research papers in 1995 back at Penn State. My point wasn't that these terms are made up...we all know what a polar vortex is so I really hope you don't think I was implying this is new. I was saying the media tends to use these terms to bombard the general public and was poking fun while trying to keep things light in here. In any event, I always preferred the term Pineapple Express wrt the West Coast stj impacts tho both are fairly Interchangeable.

I tend to agree with this...some producer will see a clip from an AFD and then run with it and the meteorological community is cringing on the side.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

Much better surface temps this run as well. Although that is a long ways out to worry about at this point. 

yeah its a smidge better for sure. i think many would just be happy to see snow even if it amounts to a slushy inch. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS and GGEM both give some slushy accumulation north of DC over the weekend. 

The late Sunday into Monday wave has some potential for a little frozen for the northern edge of our region. A little adjustment in that NS vorticity sliding across Hudson Bay and this could be a little colder/further south.

• Like 2

GFS seems completely on an island with the evolution early next week, and we’ve seen how that’s gone for the gfs so far this season. But GGEM also has a potent northern stream shortwave bring in a legit respectable airmass ahead of anything late next week. But that squashes everything. Definitely a lot going on…hopefully we can get something.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

GFS seems completely on an island with the evolution early next week, and we’ve seen how that’s gone for the gfs so far this season. But GGEM also has a potent northern stream shortwave bring in a legit respectable airmass ahead of anything late next week. But that squashes everything. Definitely a lot going on…hopefully we can get something.

A solution like CMC showed would be a total troll event of the year...All warm, then finally cold but...SQUASH (oh and snow for the south too!)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic