• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
January 2023

wdrag

UK is close for Sun night-Monday but has nudged slightly warmer and westward the past 2 runs. All in all an uninspiring 0z. Hard to see a lot of wiggle room in the outcome, especially on the eastern flank. But we're definitely close enough to stay invested. Even the ICON scenario with snow for most cannot be completely discounted.

6 minutes ago, eduggs said:

UK is close for Sun night-Monday but has nudged slightly warmer and westward the past 2 runs. All in all an uninspiring 0z. Hard to see a lot of wiggle room in the outcome, especially on the eastern flank. But we're definitely close enough to stay invested. Even the ICON scenario with snow for most cannot be completely discounted.

I would say it doesn't look good for NYC metro and coast for Sunday night/Monday. Hell, it's dicey for me north of 84 where it's looking like snow/rain. 

• Like 1

I would say it doesn't look good for NYC metro and coast for Sunday night/Monday. Hell, it's dicey for me north of 84 where it's looking like snow/rain. 

Yea, Sun/Mon doesn’t look good for anyone south of Orange County. The UKMET has gotten progressively more unfavorable since 0Z last night. Here’s the ICON zoomed into Rockland, goes from less than an inch in western Rockland to nothing in the eastern part of the county https://weather.us/model-charts/german/rockland/snow-depth-in/20230126-1200z.html

Euro also came in warmer for the wednesday storm. This 0z run doesn't have the front end dump for NYC that the 12z run had. Mostly rain for NYC and you have to go to northwest NJ to get some accumulating snow on this run. 

The Euro went west/warmer for both events. Not a surprise. The 12z EPS didn’t like either one of them for our area

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

The Euro went west/warmer for both events. Not a surprise. The 12z EPS didn’t like either one of them for our area

Good chance both of these events won't work out for NYC, and then just cold/dry for several days after that before a big warmup in early February. Slight chance next wednesday will work out or that we'll score something during the cold window late month, but I'm thinking it's more likely we'll get to mid February without an inch of snow for NYC. That would be off the charts horrible. 

3 hours ago, TriPol said:

Looks like we're going to break that record.

97/98 made it to March with .5”.

There will still be blockbuster winters in the future, but also allot of these everything goes wrong years as well. We were always on the border of a true snow and winter region New England and the paltry mid Atlantic. Unfortunately we are moving into their zone, where duds are just part of the deal. 

3 hours ago, winterwx21 said:

Good chance both of these events won't work out for NYC, and then just cold/dry for several days after that before a big warmup in early February. Slight chance next wednesday will work out or that we'll score something during the cold window late month, but I'm thinking it's more likely we'll get to mid February without an inch of snow for NYC. That would be off the charts horrible. 

That's looking likely. Lots of precip coming up, none of it frozen. February looks mild. 

March is a wild card but it wouldn't shock me if that's where the snow happens like in 97/98. The rapidly changing wavelengths and potential SSWE in Feb could make it interesting. 

That's looking likely. Lots of precip coming up, none of it frozen. February looks mild. 
March is a wild card but it wouldn't shock me if that's where the snow happens like in 97/98. The rapidly changing wavelengths and potential SSWE in Feb could make it interesting. 

EPS has sped up the change to canonical La Niña (Aleutian ridge/-PNA/SE ridge). This is 1/31. Not surprising given the MJO is already in the Indian Ocean
  • Like 1
  • Weenie 1

Morning thoughts…

It will mostly cloudy, rainy, and mild. High temperatures will reach the middle and perhaps upper 40s in most areas.  Likely high temperatures around the region include:

New York City (Central Park): 45°

Newark: 46°

Philadelphia: 47°

Temperatures will average above normal during the week.

Normals:

New York City: 30-Year: 39.1°; 15-Year: 39.8°

Newark: 30-Year: 39.6°; 15-Year: 40.4°

Philadelphia: 30-Year: 40.9°; 15-Year: 41.5°

• Like 1

The next 8 days are averaging      41degs.(37/45) or +8. 

Month to date is     43.9[+9.9].         Should be      43.0[+9.3] by the 27th.

Reached 47 here yesterday{at midnight}

Today:    42-45, wind e., Rain  9am-1am, 42 tomorrow AM

Snowiest part of the winter and still can not get a 100% chance of at least 1".         0% till the 25th/26th.       The 26th. does mark the start of Normal to BN T's and maybe some accidental snow.

1675490400-KxpB9EOJwks.png

43*(67%RH) here at 6am.      44* at 7am.     45* at 9am.(drizzle since 8am).     46* at 10am.       45* at Noon.       47*  at 4pm.

43* at 8pm.      Thunder/Rain at 9:30pm.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

What amazes me the most is not the pattern this winter which has predominantly favored the SW for winter weather, it's the fact that CPK has not even had a fluke half inch yet. 

I mean not a snow squall, not a 70 degree monster SE ridge 4 inch snowstorm like Feb 2018, not a snow QUICKLY changing to rain after a half inch, not a weak trailing wave like Jan 2012, nothing.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, EastonSN+ said:

What amazes me the most is not the pattern this winter which has predominantly favored the SW for winter weather, it's the fact that CPK has not even had a fluke half inch yet. 

I mean not a snow squall, not a 70 degree monster SE ridge 4 inch snowstorm like Feb 2018, not a snow QUICKLY changing to rain after a half inch, not a weak trailing wave like Jan 2012, nothing.

It is amazing.   same here locally-other than a half inch on the grass in mid Dec-nothing-not even a flurry.   Just warm and wet I think we are at 21 or 22 straight days above normal temp wise.

• Rjay unpinned this topic