• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 2023

wdrag

On this date in 2007, 0.3" of snow fell. That was Winter 2006-2007's first measurable snowfall of the season. Winter 2022-2023 will become only the fourth winter in New York City (Central Park) to have no measurable snowfall through January 19th. Records go back to January 1869.
image.png.86ff84d8a412518e62c4a84fa3154086.png
There is low ensemble support for some measurable snow during January 23rd. The National Blend of Models shows no snowfall. Most of the operational guidance has moved away from any accumulations in Central Park.
image.png.a45b2cc1ba5ca9279db9c409f3689cc4.png
Another system could bring at least the possibility of measurable snow during January 25-27. Ensemble support is moderate. Such support has also been higher than it was for the preceding event. The operational guidance generally shows little or no snowfall.
image.png.2aec8d7ea7e89e374517549bede463d0.png
In sum, New York City's measurable snow drought will very likely continue into at least early next week. There is some possibility that it could extend through the remainder of the month.

The fact that it made it to this point without measurable snow is a very ominous sign for the rest of winter, if you look at history
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

insanely stupid far away fantasy land, but maybe, just MAYBE we can pull one off before January closes out. I didn't leave southern california to move back here and not get any snow...

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 10.49.12 AM.png

1/27 to 2/2 seems to be the window of cold air so hopefully we get a storm, cold and dry would be a waste. 

7 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

37 and raining in Sloatsburg. Some winters find every way possible to snow, this one has found every way possible not to snow. Total non winter south of Orange County and even Orange has been hurting real bad

It gets worse and worse, that gradient next week is pushing toward western Ulster/Sullivan. Even Orange county looks like mainly all rain with both storms. 

53 minutes ago, vegan_edible said:

insanely stupid far away fantasy land, but maybe, just MAYBE we can pull one off before January closes out. I didn't leave southern california to move back here and not get any snow...

Screen Shot 2023-01-19 at 10.49.12 AM.png

Looks like a better pattern with more cold air for that time frame. Before 1/26 was always a thread-the-needle threat. 

• Like 1

37 and raining in Sloatsburg. Some winters find every way possible to snow, this one has found every way possible not to snow. Total non winter south of Orange County and even Orange has been hurting real bad

This is one of those years. Strongly resembles some 1990s winters to me. We got spoiled by it finding ways to snow the past 20 or so years.

I think a lot of younger posters are living through their first snow droughts.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, NutleyBlizzard said:

You’re telling me it is. I’ve been a weather buff since 1976, and this is the worse one yet. Heck it’s been so bad you can’t even declare winter over when it hasn’t even started.

We usually get snow to rain events or a dusting to an inch events during bad winters. We can't even muster those little events.

Pretty sad 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, winterwx21 said:

This winter is so bad that getting an inch from a clipper would be thrilling at this point. 

Unless 6+ I'd rather shoot for the CPK shut out.  Can do without the nickle and dime stuff that is gone in a day or two.  Just my opinion and I realize I am probably in the minority.

2 hours ago, SnoSki14 said:

Thanks. I almost forgot how horrible 19/20 was too.

Also despite 72/73 being the lowest snow season it was considerably colder than a lot of other futility years. 

So that season was more attributed to bad luck than anything 

Along those lines, the largely quiet 80s are nowhere to be found, which makes sense.  As we know, those winters were largely cold, and the snow wasn't *that* terrible, it just lacked big storms (other than '83) and seemed to have a lot of N&W or changeover storms for us coastal folk.

• Rjay unpinned this topic