• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

We can still get snow threats here with above-average 2M temps in January and February. Obviously as you go towards NYC latitude and points south your chances decrease drastically. Also, keep in mind with using 2M temp maps (in this case is) are the anomalies being driven by well above-average overnight temps or daytime temps? 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

We can still get snow threats here with above-average 2M temps in January and February. Obviously as you go towards NYC latitude and points south your chances decrease drastically. Also, keep in mind with using 2M temp maps (in this case is) are the anomalies being driven by well above-average overnight temps or daytime temps? 

It’s still a split flow look too. So I think we’ll have chances even if it’s above average. My gut still says we trend colder with that look though as we get closer. Anytime I see the core of positive height anomalies centered from Hudson Bay over to northern Labrador, I’m skeptical of big warmth for us.   

The tropical forcing still argues for a bit colder than that look but we’ll see. At least it’s active. Nothing worse than pure zonal flow with no systems. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

It’s still a split flow look too. So I think we’ll have chances even if it’s above average. My gut still says we trend colder with that look though as we get closer. Anytime I see the core of positive height anomalies centered from Hudson Bay over to northern Labrador, I’m skeptical of big warmth for us.   

The tropical forcing still argues for a bit colder than that look but we’ll see. At least it’s active. Nothing worse than pure zonal flow with no systems. 

I'll take my chances with that. The look verbatim too would favor trough axis more into the Southeast as opposed to farther west. Would help with getting any digging system to go negatively tilted as it digs into the region. Much better then recent crap luck of having all this occur more into the Mississippi Valley.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

True.  If we were to get a storm on, say, Jan 20 (This is NOT a forecast!!) with temp here of 25/20, that's a 9° AN day.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

Why would you post something that a met who lives in North Carolina tweets? What does that have to do with New England?

5 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Exactly why I made the post I made :lol: 

I don't think Allan meant to target New England in his tweet haha

This isn’t exactly just a warm pattern for NC……

E62BC5F4-453E-49FE-923F-B8BBFAA3D6DF.png

• Like 1
  • Weenie 3

5 minutes ago, Allsnow said:

This isn’t exactly just a warm pattern for NC……

E62BC5F4-453E-49FE-923F-B8BBFAA3D6DF.png

First of all, Stop backing that troll Qg all the time.

Secondly, you’re from Jersey, if you’re gonna come in here, then stop pimping a MET from NC.  You have to realize there are caveats with that look that could not make it verify. GEFS is completely different. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Weenie 4

14 minutes ago, WinterWolf said:

First of all, Stop backing that troll Qg all the time.

Secondly, you’re from Jersey, if you’re gonna come in here, then stop pimping a MET from NC.  You have to realize there are caveats with that look that could not make it verify. GEFS is completely different. 

The gefs r not completely different in that timeframe Currently 

• Like 1

Just now, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I mean at this point I'm not even feeling a vibe that winter wants to get going in SNE.  We moved to Greenfield in 2007 and this is the least amount of total snow to date that I have experienced.  Obviously the 14" in Oct 2011 skewed that a bit.

It’s comical right now that we will be under 5” for many places come mid month.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

I mean at this point I'm not even feeling a vibe that winter wants to get going in SNE.  We moved to Greenfield in 2007 and this is the least amount of total snow to date that I have experienced.  Obviously the 14" in Oct 2011 skewed that a bit.

What about 2015-16? We had basically nothing at this point. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Almost baseball season. At least Red Sox just showed something of a pulse giving Raffy Devers the largest contract on record for a third baseman.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

What about 2015-16? We had basically nothing at this point. 

Well, the bad winters had nothing or close to it at this point as well.  There are more examples of bad winters up to mid Jan that stayed bad for the rest of the way than there are winters of 15-16.