Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

16 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

So this is what living in the Mid Atlantic is like, interesting.

Very Jersey like ...yup.   And south of Newark, too.  

It's funny ...there's been vitriol in the past, when folks dared the 'impertinence' of saying, "welcome to Jersey" ..re the climate bands moving N up the EC.  

Just now, 8611Blizz said:

One thing about the 80's I remember was when it did snow often times there would remnants on the ground for weeks, even it didn't snow for that entire time. It wasn't always warm back then.

The 80s weren’t warm for the most part. They were just snowless. Usually cutters would kill the pack but if you had some leftover then it would freeze into a glacier for a week or two. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

The 80s weren’t warm for the most part. They were just snowless. Usually cutters would kill the pack but if you had some leftover then it would freeze into a glacier for a week or two. 

Exactly ...  man - I was just thinking about this, this morning.   It's not a good comparison, actually, for the temperature aspect.

We 'might be' sorta kinda backing into our own "attribution" association... or risking doing so.  But either way, this whole spring coastal storm shit is different - I'm right on the cusp in life of being an 'old timer'  ...so not ready to fully commit to the "when I was a young" mantra. LOL. 

But this is the first string of winter bonings that have been above normal the vast majority of times.   Even when we put together a cold month...it's like +.25, opposed to +3.0

seems that way anywho. They could still be mutually exclusive - or more so than it seems... That too. But it's not a good look to be above normal all the time, then... no snow/going under.

Oops

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Exactly ...  man - I was just thinking about this, this morning.   It's not a good comparison, actually, for the temperature aspect.

We 'might be' sorta kinda backing into our own "attribution" association... or risking doing so.  But either way, this whole spring coastal storm shit is different - I'm right on the cusp in life of being an 'old timer'  ...so not ready to fully commit to the "when I was a young" mantra. LOL. 

But this is the first string of winter bonings that have been above normal the vast majority of times.   Even when we put together a cold month...it's like +.25, opposed to +3.0

seems that way anywho

Yeah most people have never experienced this type of winter warmth living here. The only semi-comparable period were some of the winters in the 1949-1954 range. We had a string of really warm winters then…not quite as warm as recently but by far warmer than anything prior to the 2000s (save maybe a few winters in the 1930s which were very warm). If we adjust for the underlying CC warming, those winters may have been more anomalous for their time….and then a switch flipped and it was brutal cold for about 2 decades. Someone who experienced the 1930s-1970s would’ve thought we were entering an ice age. 

I’ve often thought maybe that’s where some of those kooky theories took off from. :lol:

• Like 1

Just now, #NoPoles said:

Holy crap, that's ugly

Climate Change Renders Ski Resorts Snowless Across Europe (PHOTOS) | Weather.com
https://weather.com/photos/news/2023-01-06-snowless-ski-resorts-europe-photos

i was just looking at the weather in Europe. The only place where you can find cold outside of the northern Nordic countries is Ukraine (teens). The alps currently are raining heavy with 40's.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 8611Blizz said:

i was just looking at the weather in Europe. The only place where you can find cold outside of the northern Nordic countries is Ukraine (teens). The alps currently are raining heavy with 40's.

No they're not. Paris is raining and in the 40's. The Alps are about to get dumped on.

https://opensnow.com/location/frchamonix

GFS 1.16 PW, is that a BOS sounding record for January?  HOU wasn't much over that being 80F this weekend.  Edit- after the 15F Christmas Eve, which killed a lot of tropical plants that survive our 'usual' (almost every Winter) upper 20s freezes easily, back to a warmer than usual/near daily records weather down here.

12ZGFST120.png

7 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

That shows temperatures at or below 0c until Wednesday?

Yeah roughly.  I believe that is for the town of Zermatt, surely the higher els and glaciers :wub: will get dumped on.  

https://sts006.feratel.co.at/streams/stsstore004/1/04077_63bb0aab-10d0Vid.mp4?dcsdesign=WTP_snow-forecast.com