Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2023 Obs/Discussion

Torch Tiger

2 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I do expect it, theoretically speaking, but I am totally with the "believe when see" crowd, at this point.

Yep and it will be awhile until we see. Maybe next weekend this time it’s within 8-9 days. Then we can believe. Until then expect jack dick with this pattern.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, RDRY said:

Maybe it's more a case of the models simply unable to forecast the teleconnectors even a couple weeks out. How many winters do we see the ensembles suggest a pattern change two weeks out, only to have the teleconnectors ultimately not budging from the persistent pattern?

Oh, so you were talking about the 'modeling' of the telecons, not the telecons themselves.   

If that's the case... yeah, they've been more unstable in guidance performance...I'd say that began roughly 10 years ago.  I recall in the 1990s ... + and - regimes in PNA used to last longer.  They same to Rosby roll-out/back with far more frequency now.  That instability ... the models are going to inherently not do as well performance-wise.  As an aside... that all began roughly when oddities of extremes increased in frequency all over the globe, too, winters and summers.   Probably, not a mere coincidence. 

The teleconnectors work ( by the way...) because what it is really all about is "conservation of mass"    If the heights are high in one spot, they have to be lower in another.  That's just physics in a domain where mass is neither lost or destroyed, as cliche goes - but is apropos.  

Now, it doesn't have to be 1 to 1, either.  Using the NAO again for an example, the domain could be in a very deep negative mode; that doesn't mean that the compensating positive (the teleconnection) is all concentrated in that one spot - there can be an aggregate of local maxes(mins) that suffice mass balance.  There can also be general miasmas of positive heights over the NAO domain that are more tepid with one deep vortex balances that way, too. Sometimes a big NAO block will have a parade of smaller negatives that in total and time, amass to the balance.  etc... The correlations exist, because of that arithmetic.    

Now, to make this all actually confusing ( LOL ), that is all happening in perpetual motion. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Yep and it will be awhile until we see. Maybe next weekend this time it’s within 8-9 days. Then we can believe. Until then expect jack dick with this pattern.

Do you think February somehow avoids going climo canonical La Niña? This Niña is still looking real healthy and well coupled. Region 3.4 just dropped to -1.1C, the SOI is still very strongly positive and the trade winds are still very strong https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/nino34.png

15 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Do you think February somehow avoids going climo canonical La Niña? This Niña is still looking real healthy and well coupled. Region 3.4 just dropped to -1.1C, the SOI is still very strongly positive and the trade winds are still very strong https://www.tropicaltidbits.com/analysis/ocean/nino34.png

MEI is rising precipitously, albeit still low.

• Like 2

Huh... does the Euro qualify as a "cutter" ...  seems it's like a "east-based cutter", if there can be such a thing.   ...which in the absence of enough cold air, in January no less, must also qualify that as a "west-based boning" .. 

I don't know.   I was thinking driving around this morning doing errands ... we can squeak a better result out of that thing, but it can't go west or we're cooked.  Some of the GFS runs have been getting close, but then would Miller B just in time...   What does the Euro do, summarily goes west.  But it's doing it from Cincinnati to Montreal, which is a trek less traveled.  

Yeah... I also think the lack of cold is killing us this winter.   We can't seem to manufacture enough ... it either rolls out or just moderates, too quickly.  If more cold, dense air would slab into the NE ahead of this thing, we probably wouldn't be in the waiting room out aside a Turkish rape clinic ...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Weeklies tries to hold out hope. In this winter, I have zero confidence. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Well DIT is going to rejoice at the 18z GFS :lol:.

Misery loves company. I’m rooting for it though to end up better for NNE. The base depths have to be pretty awful right now. A mild rainer is the last thing needed. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

Screenshot_20230108-172929_Twitter.jpg

I posted a couple of his blogs about the stratospheric warming events, and I got blasted by some of these guys that he's not legit or it's nonsense. So don't be surprised when you get comments back about the same thing lol. Just giving you a heads up. But I'm still optimistic with you

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Snowcrazed71 said:

I posted a couple of his blogs about the stratospheric warming events, and I got blasted by some of these guys that he's not legit or it's nonsense. So don't be surprised when you get comments back about the same thing lol. Just giving you a heads up. But I'm still optimistic with you

Dude is ACATT