Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

Just now, nj2va said:

We always spend between Christmas and New Years there - way too far out to talk specifics and chances but pattern leading up to Christmas is looking really nice so far.  

Pretty good odds out that way there will be multiple snow chances leading up to and including Xmas, given how the currently depicted pattern looks. Whatever falls should mostly be able to stick around during that period.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, CAPE said:

Pretty good odds out that way there will be multiple snow chances leading up to and including Xmas, given how the currently depicted pattern looks. Whatever falls should mostly be able to stick around during that period.

You're not concerned with the EPS at the end of it's run? It shows - PNA and most significant snowfall would be well to our North and West.  Favors the West and Midwest. Of course it's one run , one model. Total speculation. Granted - EPO on the EPS,  but not sure we benefit snow-wise. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

Wasn't that the year where it snowed for Thanksgiving(more SE of I-95), Dec was super cold, the Bay froze, then by mid Jan winter was over?

I was coming home to southern MD from college for Thanksgiving of '89, so I can assure you we got snow   The rain changed to snow around Lake Anna on my way up I-95.  It was a very long drive home.  

28 minutes ago, frd said:

You're not concerned with the EPS at the end of it's run? It shows - PNA and most significant snowfall would be well to our North and West.  Favors the West and Midwest. Of course it's one run , one model. Total speculation. Granted - EPO on the EPS,  but not sure we benefit snow-wise. 

It is at the very end of its run to begin with and GEFS and GEPS both agree in a poleward ridge supporting a -EPO/+PNA to neutral PNA

GEFS and GEPS connect the troughing between Hawaii and the Aleutians, sending the ridge further west and more poleward (better for us, more Pac ridging) while EPS fails to "bridge" them resulting in an okay but unfavorable positioning of the -EPO ridge. I wouldn't be worried, right now at least.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, frd said:

I’m not even looking at the end 384H ensembles.  Let’s also just focus on what’s in the MR to “early” LR before we start talking about long range ensembles.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, nj2va said:

I’m not even looking at the end 384H ensembles.  Let’s also just focus on what’s in the MR to “early” LR before we start talking about long range ensembles.

I mean technically the early range hasn't even happened yet

10 minutes ago, Terpeast said:

Interesting trend for the dec 16 cutter. Rain-snow line was all the way up in michigan/canada just a few runs ago. Now it’s closer to the m/d line. 

that’s the gfs op though. No idea on ens or what the euro says

Amazing what a stout block can do.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

Wasn't that the year where it snowed for Thanksgiving(more SE of I-95), Dec was super cold, the Bay froze, then by mid Jan winter was over?

Right before Xmas that year there was a major storm in the NC coastal plain.  13 inches on Cape Hatteras.  15 inches in Wilmington.  Only had about 4 inches at my area in Cumberland County but it was still nice.  I have a distinct memory of playing in the snow and sleet on Christmas Eve.  Oddly enough I have no memory of the subsequent Xmas.   I also have no memory of the pattern flip in January but I am told it was epic in a bad way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CAPE said:

It did snap back for a cold, active period from late March into early April. Too late in the calendar for much road sticking, but there were 3 accumulating snow events nevertheless all the way down into urban areas, including one in April. IAD recorded 10.4” in March and April. 

With temps so marginal, though, a repeat of that pattern probably wouldn’t result in all 3 events having snow in the urban corridor today. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nj2va said:

This is one of those threats that could trend in our favor

I agree. I think the models are struggling with the block a little bit. As long as we get the PNA to cooperate and the SER gets squashed there is nothing cutting into that block. Anything that comes along on southern jet will have to stay south.

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

I agree. I think the models are struggling with the block a little bit. As long as we get the PNA to cooperate and the SER gets squashed there is nothing cutting into that block. Anything that comes along on southern jet will have to stay south.

Especially in your location, better chance at front end frozen from this. But I have a feeling the massive cutter depicted two days ago will continually to evolve like it already has. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman @CAPE @Ian or anyone else with a photographic memory or with a good database: have we ever had a -EPO/-AO/-NAO/-PNA pattern in a La Niña December? Or any La Niña winter month? And if so, what did they produce?

I commented earlier in the winter outlook that this winter would not  behave Nina like. I looked back to 1980 and could not find an exact match to what you asked 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, DarkSharkWX said:

GEFS has been trending with a stronger CAD push for the 16th-17th storm. Encouraging trends to see gfs-ens_z500a_us_fh186_trend.gif.7b24ce166d022dc9331506603075ce4d.thumb.gif.53bfb937d5afed4f024ae481d5e2b1a6.gif

Yes. It has been trending colder at the surface. But what I am seeing is the GFS starting to figure out that a 1000+ vort isnt cutting into that wall to the north. It is freaking out about it. If I had to bet right now I would say that storm ends up south of us. We'll see if its the stout bock talking...or the stout block over the next couple of days. 

• Like 2