Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Been bed ridden for 8 days with covid and finally up and out feels like i just woke from a coma. Hits everyone differently i guess.

Probably should have been in hospital for 5 days, then moderate-serious 5 days, then moderating over next 7 days and on 7th day went out and ate heartily , One week later everything closed. 

Now, we're at Day 9, so I hope it ain't too early to think about this, but...I'm gonna guess for this one we'd need an even stronger block to get something, correct? (Question is how strong can it get? Lol)

33 minutes ago, brooklynwx99 said:

I'm favoring redevelopment for this system with a block that strong as well as a deep ULL out in the Atlantic like that... the models should continue to correct. there are already some strong members near the Delmarva that likely deliver from CT northward

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-z500_anom-1170400.thumb.png.e1bbd86dda3c4a2cefbc256e51ded2de.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1192000.thumb.png.b067fc960d5051a10c19aca0ab0d654c.pngecmwf-ensemble-avg-east-mslp_with_low_locs-1235200.thumb.png.453aed3fc1496e230482495f69a936b8.png

I think there’s a long shot chance at something on the front end of that big cutter/cutoff low. Need a piece of energy to run out ahead along the warm front while we have CAD. I think the chance we get anything from a coastal redevelopment is nil.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think there’s a long shot chance at something on the front end of that big cutter/cutoff low. Need a piece of energy to run our ahead along the warm front while we have CAD. I think the chance we get anything from a coastal redevelopment is nil.

Yep, a few OP runs over the last day have shown that scenario too that I posted last night.  While odds are low, interesting things can happen with blocks and 50/50 lows.

11 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Yep, a few OP runs over the last day have shown that scenario too that I posted last night.  While odds are low, interesting things can happen with blocks and 50/50 lows.

That low is continuing to trend south and slower as it gets shoved under the block and this weekend’s light NE event turns into a big ocean low and also suppresses the flow. So there’s some room there if we can get some precip to stretch our toward us. I think this weekend and Mon-Thurs of next week could be pretty sneakily cold.

• Like 13

2 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

I think this weekend and Mon-Thurs of next week could be pretty sneakily cold.

Allen mentioned cold air damning through this period.  Looks like low to mid 20's for overnight lows in my area next Tuesday and Wednesday morning. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yoda said:

Through 240, 8 members drop greater then or equal to 2" of snow at DCA.  4 members drop 6"+... while 2 members are full fledged snowstorms (one member for all and one member for N VA/C MD)

Hence my question about just how far south the block could push that low initially...lol Too early to know yet, I'm guessing

11 minutes ago, yoda said:

Through 240, 8 members drop greater then or equal to 2" of snow at DCA.  4 members drop 6"+... while 2 members are full fledged snowstorms (one member for all and one member for N VA/C MD)

Thanks @yoda!  Looking forward to @Weather Will posting ensemble snow %. Nice to have a good pattern setting up early in the season. Now we just need some discrete threats and LUCK!

25 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman @CAPE @Ian or anyone else with a photographic memory or with a good database: have we ever had a -EPO/-AO/-NAO/-PNA pattern in a La Niña December? Or any La Niña winter month? And if so, what did they produce?

Not really unless you go WAY back…nothing the last 30 years. The closest comp would be March 2018. 
3D68FAAF-E5FF-4982-91FE-198C6DE61F95.png.46b9b4f2983e29c53f94a8f9d634af1a.png

This is a lot more typical of a Nino longwave pattern up top actually, but the central pac makes this a super rare look overall. Not a lot of great comps. Even the top analogs aren’t really all that close for the best analog. But the best matches Imo were periods in Dec 1970, 1978, and 1989. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

33368921-D8E3-48D8-9ECB-11B396E73F77.gif.efc196eff547c16f1392b7693925684f.gif

not saying just saying.  Keep in mind there was no snow in the cities during this period. There was a nice event NW and a front end snow to rain again NW during this period but the big snow came after when a pna temporarily popped. 

But I think its worth pointing out a couple things that could be pertinent if this in fact is the type of pattern we end up with. While non having a Nino will limit potential due to less STJ the pattern is the pattern.  If a non Nina pattern happens in a Nina the atmosphere isn’t going to be like “no we can’t let it snow cause it’s a Nina”. The challenge is usually getting a non Nina pattern during a Nina!  Second, we don’t need a long lived pna ridge. If we can just get a temporary one for a few days that kind of pattern is loaded.  That’s how 2009 happened.  A pna ridge popped at the right time allowing one of the ejecting waves from the west to dig into the east and not try to cut. And….voila. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 4

51 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

@psuhoffman @CAPE @Ian or anyone else with a photographic memory or with a good database: have we ever had a -EPO/-AO/-NAO/-PNA pattern in a La Niña December? Or any La Niña winter month? And if so, what did they produce?

December-wise, what came up in my program was December 1967 and December 1996. Both of these had a pretty stout -PNA though so not sure if it's the best analog. Snow totals for both months at KIAD were 4.9" and 1.9" respectively.
This plot is not dissimilar to the PNA

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CAPE said:

If the 18z GFS simulation were to come to fruition, a quick chase up to central PA might be considered for late next week.:bike:

That was a sweet run for them.  I am really starting to like the look of that for the mountains.  Verbatim, 18z is snow to ice to snow (and upslope will crank with that upper level setup).  I’m flying back from a work trip Thursday night but we’re heading straight to Deep Creek from the airport - could be fun times.

• Like 1