Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2022 Medium-Long Range Disco

WxUSAF

21 minutes ago, stormtracker said:

It really is.  H5 maps are nice, just 500 miles too far west. :facepalm:.  Maybe this storm sets something up after

My fear for after is this system pulls north and retrogrades, stalled from progressing by the link up of the WAR and NAO. So we’re left in the exact same conundrum.  Weak waves are likely squashed since were directly under the TPV but anything stronger that phases cuts since there is nothing to prevent it from pumping ridging to the North Pole in front. 

ETA: it could work, but would require luck with exact placement of features and phasing.  Been a long time since we got lucky. Some here subscribe to the were due index. 

1 minute ago, psuhoffman said:

My fear for after is this system pulls north and retrogrades, stalled from progressing by the link up of the WAR and NAO. So we’re left in the exact same conundrum.  Weak waves are likely squashed since were directly under the TPV but anything stronger that phases cuts since there is nothing to prevent it from pumping ridging to the North Pole in front. 

It's almost like we need a new non-traditional way to get snow around here.  

7 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

New climo worries no doubt.  The warm pool  is killing us and has been for years. Add to that the lack of a 50/50 and ideal ridge placement out West and we fail. 

On paper the pattern looks great,  but when you look deeper the little things are preventing us from scoring.  The little cause cause huge implications.  

We just finished the first 15 days of December with a record - AO and ideal block North of Alaska, but we fail again.  I imagine in the future I will not to get too excited when the indicies look awesome because it means very little at out lattitude.  I admit I was wrong, I was very confident we would score at least a WSW critieria storm.  

Later this month faces the same issues of now. We might exit December with very little snow, such sadness. 

11 minutes ago, anotherman said:

It's almost like we need a new non-traditional way to get snow around here.  

No we just need the NAO and AO to be -4 stdv at the same time as we have a stationary TPV at 50/50 and a perfectly placed full latitude EPO PNA ridge with the axis exactly through Boise. 

Jokes aside to clarify my point…those making the case why this shouldn’t be a DC HECS are 100% correct. The PNA isnt perfect and the 50/50 slides out too fast.  But I have 2 counter points.  What happened to just a 3-6” messy snow in our area from a storm that “wasn’t perfect”. That used to be the majority of our snow. 3-6” in our area from a storm that cut due to those imperfections and dumped 12”+ on Buffalo or something. But it was still cold enough to start as a nice snow here. Why do we need a perfect track to get any snow even when we had a cross polar flow direct injection only a few days before???  Second point is why is it a repetitive pattern that the WAR associated with the TNH continuously is winning and preventing a 50/50. Yes no 50/50 is the micro reason we lose but why are we seeing the failure of blocks to produce the canonical response in the northwest Atlantic repeatedly. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, psuhoffman said:

The 27th threat was predicated on this system being a coastal and progressing east. If it bombs to 950 and ends up a tpv directly north of us nothings going to happen for a while around here after. 

Kinda like with the big Plains low we just had, this 23rd storm has to be nailed down before we can figure out how it adjusts the wave guide and impacts anything after.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

No we just need the NAO and AO to be -4 stdv at the same time as we have a stationary TPV at 50/50 and a perfectly placed full latitude EPO PNA ridge with the axis exactly through Boise. 

Jokes aside to clarify my point…those making the case why this shouldn’t be a DC HECS are 100% correct. The PNA isnt perfect and the 50/50 slides out too fast.  But I have 2 counter points.  What happened to just a 3-6” messy snow in our area from a storm that “wasn’t perfect”. That used to be the majority of our snow. 3-6” in our area from a storm that cut due to those imperfections and dumped 12”+ on Buffalo or something. But it was still cold enough to start as a nice snow here. Why do we need a perfect track to get any snow even when we had a cross polar flow direct injection only a few days before???  Second point is why is it a repetitive pattern that the WAR associated with the TNH continuously is winning and preventing a 50/50. Yes no 50/50 is the micro reason we lose but why are we seeing the failure of blocks to produce the canonical response in the northwest Atlantic repeatedly. 
Once again we go from 5 to 8 to 28 to 8 but instead of settling at 5...we get zero

8 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

When you have a 970mb Low plowing into western Lake Erie, there’s no chance we remain cold enough for a thump.

I hear your points about changing climo and all that, but not every event that fails fails because of AGW.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

The 27th threat was predicated on this system being a coastal and progressing east. If it bombs to 950 and ends up a tpv directly north of us nothings going to happen for a while around here after. 

That TPV won't be getting stuck. Things look to transition pretty quickly with some shakeup in the pattern. The boundary will be close enough to our SE for a time. The 0z CMC ens has a pretty strong signal for the 27-28th, and there is some indication on the EPS. Not KU hunting here lol, but a modest wave with enough cold still in place could get some of us on the board.

• Like 2

These advertised "epic blocking" periods have produced very little other than rain in my yard since 2016. Have done much better with fairly mediocre progressive patterns where there is a mechanism to deliver some legit cold. Yep luck and timing are key but lately it has worked out(here) and don't we always need luck and timing?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CAPE said:

These advertised "epic blocking" periods have produced very little other than rain in my yard since 2016. Have done much better with fairly mediocre progressive patterns where there is a mechanism to deliver some legit cold. Yep luck and timing are key but lately it has worked out(here) and don't we always need luck and timing?

I was just thinking this. Give me an imperfect pattern and we’ll figure something out. These pretty 500 maps haven’t delivered lately. 

• Like 1