Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Major Hurricane Fiona

GaWx

Just now, Stormlover74 said:

It's hard to believe I'm missing this by just a few weeks. Was on that bridge and PEI less than a month ago as well as the ferry over to NS and halifax

my brother in law just boarded up the cottages up in PEI and is headed back to Dartmouth to ride it out with my MIL, I told him to put a webcam as our cottage would be in a good location, not sure he had the time but if he did will post it

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Looks like it's tracking about 50 miles east of the cone right now (part of the reason Bermuda got hit so hard). We'll see how this effects Novia Scotia going forward. Moving more NE than NNE as the official track had projected

NHC track bumped a bit east. Slightly better for Places like Cape Breton Island as it keeps the strongest winds on E semicircle offshore, but Fiona is so large it might not matter too much in the overall scheme of things.

Looks like it's tracking about 50 miles east of the cone right now (part of the reason Bermuda got hit so hard). We'll see how this effects Novia Scotia going forward. Moving more NE than NNE as the official track had projected
That does not bode well for Sable Island

Sent from my SM-S102DL using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, Normandy said:

Has to be one of the most gigantic wind fields in recent memory.  Putting 99 MPH gusts on Bermuda while passing 50 miles north is wild.

That’s not all of it.  The station I have been following has been recording wind gusts over 80 mph since 6AM this morning local time.  In fact during the 11AM hour the highest wind gust was 95 mph and during the 12PM hour they recorded a gust to 86 mph.  Note that they are one hour ahead of us.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Tatamy said:

That’s not all of it.  The station I have been following has been recording wind gusts over 80 mph since 6AM this morning local time.  In fact during the 11AM hour the highest wind gust was 95 mph and during the 12PM hour they recorded a gust to 86 mph.  Note that they are one hour ahead of us.

This is the Wreck Road station in Sandys  Parish on Bermuda (Davis Network).

9 minutes ago, WestMichigan said:

It would be interesting to see this same view later on when the storm gets to your area.  Very calm looking right now.

Yeah we'll see. I expect some water rise, but nothing too dramatic here given my position on the coast. If I were further south, it'd be trouble. Originally I was going to be in Louisbourg but that fell through. 

3 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Still moving right of the track, but starting to turn more North. May be a case of the storm being stronger and resisting the pull of the trough?

When the interaction happens it can be yanked left pretty quick. I remember how much speculation there was that Sandy would end up over eastern LI because it kept trucking NE, but it turned left almost on a dime when the trough dove in. 

• Like 4

Somewhat interesting is the fact that the trough in play here is carrying with it some of the energy from Typhoon Merbock whose remnants caused a lot of problems in Alaska just a few days ago. Merbock has obviously disintegrated with its remnants scattered all over the place now, but it played an important role in the evolution of the trough and to a lesser extent and by proxy the phasing with Fiona today. Butterfly-Effect.

• Like 2