Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
July 2022 Disco/obs/etc

Torch Tiger

31 minutes ago, dendrite said:

DAW has been shooting way above their expected MOS numbers most days. SFM, just over the border, is closer to their expectations.

3CC699C7-E710-44F5-862B-B84A1AA0168B.jpeg
F6DE487C-5544-49BE-B9AA-C2A2B22B6CC2.jpeg

I counted 6 days out of 23 for DAW, 4 out of 23 for SFM. Far from most. Bulk of which coincided with the heatwave. And isn’t that exactly what you’d expect in a +3SD airmass?

I think there’s an enhanced ageo flow due to mesoscale coastal front, max surface delta t/delta n, sets up regularly right along NH coast, where the Labrador current meets a cooked tropical airmass. 

529D7044-4B66-4746-9544-C39042B4AC54.png

11 hours ago, powderfreak said:

The pattern flip to markedly higher summer heat/humidity has been very noticeable. The the May-June-early July period was pleasant.

Didn’t use the A/C then, but this recent stretch has been enjoyable in the sense that we finally have ditched the louder window/wall unit style game and are able to make use of the quiet heat pump system. The money is worth it now, the technology is better too. Quality of life rising, ha.  A/C didn’t seem necessary up north, 10-15 years ago especially… the first half of this warm season reminded me of what I remember then.  Perspective drift over the years can very much happen though.

I bought this fixer upper in the spring of 89.  Spent weekends here till 2001 when we moved up from Boston full time.  I didn't have any window unit AC's for the first 15 years.  I don't remember it being so warm at night that sleeping was hard just like the May to early July period we just had.  Looking back at my life of 65 years I can tell that the climate is warming...but like the frog that enjoys slowly boiling water until it is too late to jump out most people living today are younger than me  and don't remember the cooler climate. The change is so slow that they just shrug it off.  Personally unless the whole world got on board (which will never happen) climate change will continue.   

1 hour ago, jbenedet said:

I counted 6 days out of 23 for DAW, 4 out of 23 for SFM. Far from most. Bulk of which coincided with the heatwave. And isn’t that exactly what you’d expect in a +3SD airmass?

I think there’s an enhanced ageo flow due to mesoscale coastal front, max surface delta t/delta n, sets up regularly right along NH coast, where the Labrador current meets a cooked tropical airmass. 

529D7044-4B66-4746-9544-C39042B4AC54.png

Fwiw-  I was over there in Kittery Maine during yesterday afternoon and evening and the air smelled pleasantly like the ocean and the temperature was 86 by the time I got onto Route 1?passing the Trading Post. And then further down Haley Road it was actually only 84 …but that road is also draped over pretty heavily by tree canopies – it’s only about 3 miles from the actual beaches at that point, too. But what makes it interesting is that just 10 minutes earlier along I 95 just before the tolls it was 98. In fact… The whole way up from around Westford mass to the 495 split off well up the way from Haverhill was between 99 and 100 but I figure that was just the highway heat tube effect. 

Most Davis or home stations within 2 miles of my house look like they maxed out around 97 yesterday. But it seems like there was weird decline spots like Fitchburg couldn’t get past 93 while other NWS sites like Bedford made it to 97 or 98

• Like 1

Agree with dewpoint… It’ll add today.

Both Fitchburg and Boston Logan nicked 90 prior to 930 this morning. 

it seems big heat is a slam dunk but how much?

Kind of a narrow allowance ceiling scenario with all that convective junk contaminating skies not so far away upstream… In fact we’ve had periodic high-level miasma fanning out from that Michigan strobing overnight, overnight overnight and into this morning, and when you’re dealing with higher end heat any little perturbation in insulation takes off whole degrees. 

• Like 1

96/71  Heat Index 103

Probably getting close to my high for the day. It seems I hit my high bewteen 11 and 1 here. Sun is not hitting thermometer. Of course, I'm not as accurate as the local broadcasting stations, but my max's have been pretty much spot on for the others in a five to ten mile range heading north and eastwards. A local heat bubble? Higher locations west of the reservoir seem to be 3 or 4 degrees lower some days. A few to my east and northeast at same elevation as me or lower bake a couple of degrees higher.

• Like 1

83/68 at noon.  Cirrus debris moving out.  It will be interesting to see if any convection will pop this afternoon or how much of the weakening storms from NYS will get in here this evening.  Lately I have been in an area that they die out and then the front moves through at night and the next days convection fires south of me.  This front is moving slowly so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.