Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12 Rain to…more rain? Maybe some snow

HoarfrostHubb

25 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Have you started disc golf yet this season?  My son is addicted to it now...

...heh,  "season" is a thing of the past.  We're all mid aged now ... kind of opportunistic when we can go.  We did one back in January on one of those milder days with no snow on the ground, most realistically out of desperation to get an out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

Definitely more progressive and later phasing on the actual low but RGEM wasn’t bad.

The Greens up here should pack in some snow tomorrow morning with the mid-level Fronto.  What’s going to happen is what normally happens… the NGreens will go longer duration while Whites will get it in shorter duration.

By Sunday morning I bet it’s fairly similar for the mountains all across the North.

7C231D8F-9F19-49FC-AED3-8E1758EBC6AF.thumb.png.ec1003f8d37ef85819fe78cdf819a309.png

Agreed. You guys always catch up. 

30 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I honestly have noticed like zero change in the expected snowfall output with this.....its always looked like potential for a backside inch or two, regardless of how cold the system looks.

Out east I’d definitely agree…but WOR things have trended much colder and snowier.  How it all pans out…we’ll find out tomorrow?

4 minutes ago, dendrite said:

Piv and COD have those darker reflectivities in NE CT at that time as sleet.

Pivotal is probably too wide with the sleet ptype looking at the soundings. Like it's showing sleet where the entire column is colder than -2C but because it's not saturated in the DGZ, it shows up as sleet.

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Pivotal is probably too wide with the sleet ptype looking at the soundings. Like it's showing sleet where the entire column is colder than -2C but because it's not saturated in the DGZ, it shows up as sleet.

I mean it's not cold enough for nucleation unless you count a thin cold layer around 850. Obviously that can happen, but I wouldn't trust the model to be correct with it in this situation.

1 minute ago, dendrite said:

I mean it's not cold enough for nucleation unless you count a thin cold layer around 850. Obviously that can happen, but I wouldn't trust the model to be correct with it in this situation.

Around here I only really want to see about -5C or so which the top of the saturated layer achieves (at least on the western half of the sleet band)....there's so much salt nuclei in SNE sticking out into the ocean that the baseline numbers get skewed warmer for ice crystals.

image.png.6c9ca7f429e8ce45a570245cfaa0848f.png

That said, my guess is the HRRR is too cold anyway, so it's prob a moot point.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, LSC97wxnut said:

I was standing in line outside the Chestnut Hill Wegmans that morning and saying as if everything couldn't get any worse, it's now trying to snow in May...

Holy crap-I was in the same line that day!   I’m trying to forget the times of waiting outside to be “admitted” to shop...

• Like 2

Definitely moot.

Do salt nuclei sufficiently mix into the midlevels? Just trying to imagine this hypothetical scenario with NW flow below 825 and the southerly flow above that. The low level nuclei in that 850 cold zone would be advecting the salt out of the low levels, but you could obviously still be advecting some in from the midlevel warm conveyor.

But yeah, I usually see those ZR situations in a column below freezing out in the Plains and it's usually more drastic than this.

55 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

This will be 2-4” in this area and half of it will be sleet . I know how these work here 

I think for this event, you'd be more apt to have more sleet over by you, with more snow over by me west of Hartford. But it has been ticking East.. so you never know what happens by tomorrow morning

considering this winters event totals for this area, one would expect 4.5-5", seems to be a popular amount this season... that said I'm not expecting any more than a couple slushy inches, I think a lot of precipitation is wasted before cold push, be happy to bust high, but I think max 2.5" here.