Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12 Rain to…more rain? Maybe some snow

HoarfrostHubb

2 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

May be uncertainty nearby though.  Might prefer to change everyone to a headline at the same package issuance to avoid confusion.  But in general no one in the north will alter what they do whether there’s a warning or not, ha. I could see it mattering more in suburbia/urban corridor to get the word out?

Yeah, I think it's the Portland and Manchester crowds that drive the bus with issuing these products, which makes sense.

Will can help with this.  About a week after superstorm 93 we had an event with the antecedent day having bees flying around.  Rain began and I noticed mid evening snow mixing in.   The next morning I cleared 6 inches.  I am certainly not predicting that for mby but it seems similar in nature including a cold stab immediately afterwards.

16 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, you guys are still within the window for issuing the warning and aren’t “late” or anything. Maybe BTV is just really early. It’s just always interesting to see a warning from them sometimes a day before a warning from right across the border. At this hour, there are warnings in VT and Maine but not for the Whites. I don’t think there is that much uncertainty up here. 

Yeah, 48 hours lead time is a LONG time for a warning. I tend to think it's too much time and the public often gets confused when the snow is supposed to start. Also there are plenty of events that slide away or cut north inside the last 48 hours. We're always confident...until we're not.

13 minutes ago, mreaves said:

We are also further west so we get the weather first :P

That's honestly the argument most times. 

Just now, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I think it's the Portland and Manchester crowds that drive the bus with issuing these products, which makes sense.

As far as hype goes, yes. But the timing of issuing I don't much care who lives there, I mostly try and hit high traffic news times. Before they wake up, after dinner, before the 11 pm news, etc. CAR just happened to opt for 10 am today which made us stick out. We wanted to see all the 12z guidance before making a southern extent warning call. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Will can help with this.  About a week after superstorm 93 we had an event with the antecedent day having bees flying around.  Rain began and I noticed mid evening snow mixing in.   The next morning I cleared 6 inches.  I am certainly not predicting that for mby but it seems similar in nature including a cold stab immediately afterwards.

St Patty's Day night. I remember that.

HRRR trying to flip to SN by like midday here, would be better if this were an overnight type deal, daytime snow in march, especially with antecedent airmass being scoured away is not a good snowmaker imho, unless it absolutely rips, will be windy though especially if that upper jet streak mixes down

1 minute ago, OceanStWx said:

Yeah, 48 hours lead time is a LONG time for a warning. I tend to think it's too much time and the public often gets confused when the snow is supposed to start. Also there are plenty of events that slide away or cut north inside the last 48 hours. We're always confident...until we're not.

That's honestly the argument most times. 

As far as hype goes, yes. But the timing of issuing I don't much care who lives there, I mostly try and hit high traffic news times. Before they wake up, after dinner, before the 11 pm news, etc. CAR just happened to opt for 10 am today which made us stick out. We wanted to see all the 12z guidance before making a southern extent warning call. 

Appreciate the insight, it all makes sense as to the timing. Probably best to wait for the best info before making the call. I think the colors on the advisory maps only matters to the deranged weenies here like me anyway. ;) 

One thing BTV does that I find weird is they issue exact numbers for snowfall forecasts (like Stowe will be shown at 12.7", Burlington 10.3" etc.). I find that to be kinda abnormal.

Just now, PhineasC said:

Appreciate the insight, it all makes sense as to the timing. Probably best to wait for the best info before making the call. I think the colors on the advisory maps only matters to the deranged weenies here like me anyway. ;) 

One thing BTV does that I find weird is they issue exact numbers for snowfall forecasts (like Stowe will be shown at 12.7", Burlington 10.3" etc.). I find that to be kinda abnormal.

It's the default setting to be honest. There are arguments for and against. One number (it shouldn't be to the tenths though) is just the middle and most likely forecast. But ranges show uncertainty better. The problem is ours aren't dynamic like Ryan's can be. So we only can ever say 8-12" or 12-18", never 10-14". 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

ALY does that too, but not all the time... earlier it had 2.3" for around here, now a range is spit out

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Yes!  I think it was a Wednesday?

Yes, and then a week later there was a marginal 8-10" storm for north of the pike....basically a front ender at 32-33F isothermal sounding. That was poorly forecasted.

11 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yes, and then a week later there was a marginal 8-10" storm for north of the pike....basically a front ender at 32-33F isothermal sounding. That was poorly forecasted.

Right!   That one a week later gave me about 10.  That per recall did it until a rogue 2 inches deep into April.

1 minute ago, PhineasC said:

Much better here.

Yeah the dynamics look much better on that run....hopefully it plays out with stronger dynamics. Weak and strung out it not going to be as fun....even if it might get 1.5" of slush on the weak scenario versus 0.7" on the stronger scenario.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, tavwtby said:

HRRR trying to flip to SN by like midday here, would be better if this were an overnight type deal, daytime snow in march, especially with antecedent airmass being scoured away is not a good snowmaker imho, unless it absolutely rips, will be windy though especially if that upper jet streak mixes down

Its all about the rates…if it’s snowing heavy(inch an hr stuff) it’s gonna accumulate daytime or not.