Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 12 Rain to…more rain? Maybe some snow

HoarfrostHubb

5 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

You’ve had posts where you’ve said you like dews as you age. I remember them .

Oh there’s definitely a time and place.  Going down to the lake in CT, spending the day floating around for hours with family.  Absolutely. But also enjoy it more since my folks put central A/C in down there lol.

I dislike it for most of the day to day activities though up here.  Working outside on the mountain when it’s 76/70, hazy, stagnant air bringing out the bugs in force… no thanks.  Hiking it’s no bueno, mountain biking nah, even golfing… I prefer to walk when golfing but high dews and it’s cart riding time.

The only benefit to me is for swimming but still not a huge fan of getting out of an ice cold river feeling refreshed and then sweating again on the walk up home.

I do enjoy the novelty of it at first, but after a while it’s the same as brutal cold.  Daily life with sub-zero temps over and over is just as annoying to me as daily life with dews near 70F.  It has a time and place but consistently?  No thanks.

7 minutes ago, eekuasepinniW said:

I'm a little late but just wanted to add that >70 dews are a gift from the heavens. I mean it's hard to say you're having a decent life if your sunglasses don't fog up when you walk outside.

Or when you drop your sunglasses into the Orangutan enclosure and the Orangutan takes the glasses and puts them on.

This storm is now tantalizing. This looks like those fun storms where my area is the wild card and depends on exact track. Whether here or Iowa, I often find myself straddling the transition zone from RN to SN

21 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Going to end up a nowcast deal, Those come with surprises,  I can see that coming.

Almost every time we are in the transition wild card zone on the models like this, we wind up raining until the very end and get around 1” of wet snow at the end. That is more likely than mostly snow and several inches.

But Dad up in west Hartford is another matter and is definitely deeper into the cold zone and I expect them to get 3” solid.

Thats the level headed expectation based on experience.

For Kevin or my sister in Coventry at 450 feet I expect 2-3 inches, in other words a better chance of plowable up there.

OF COURSE the NAM is still ruthless about the situation, but again is consistent with my idea that rain followed by a simple inch coating of snow at the end is the most likely result.

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

See I was going to say that’s a solid NAM run, both 3km and 12km.

Kuchie which is more sensitive to boundary layer but also goes real high when it gets cold.

AE51FC63-15C2-41C9-AF4D-9F3E22A17661.thumb.png.5c6ba405d546e77ece2c1f40fdd8ef1f.png

10:1

2D6F4DEF-0394-4D91-9A9D-1BB00070AF79.thumb.png.dc0170d7f442e0934c9ac6a396391478.png

It’s such a vast difference between this and, say, RAP and HRRR in its implications for interior E CT. 

Sadly, NAM sometimes verifies but at least it gives everyone a nice coating at the end, and what I have thought for MBY is similar regardless. In my mind question mark is 400 feet and up Tolland and Windham hills

Hopefully we get this cold -15C at 850mb upslope as that will be the difference maker for the mountains for snow totals.

69105754-E0D7-4F13-B227-4FCEC8FA7C53.thumb.png.58a73baaef0be1c93ed08d76c988aae0.png

Upper level trough and energy swinging through over good low level flow and residual moisture.  It’s progressive but when the 850mb level at ridgetop or just above is squarely in the DGZ at -15C… we usually fluff pretty well.  Tall DGZ in region of max lift above the terrain gets the snow going but add in upper level support and it could snow hard for a time.

B5F2453C-E18B-4DDF-A50C-7BF86C0EE898.thumb.png.5f7d2935d4350db15b7ad4f872aa24f5.png

Not going to lie, I don't like the orientation of that southern convection developing. I'd rather that be more south-to-north rather than an axis of west-to-east.  Disrupting the moisture feed from the Gulf and south, IMO.  On the plus side, much of the precip so far seems anafrontal.  Not much in the warm sector but cold side of the FROPA has been seeing the bulk of the lift/mid-level fronto.

339389058_GulfBlocked.gif.8706dc622af6190fa83c3549ca947182.gif

• Like 1