Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

1 hour ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah that vortex needs to come south. As modeled right now it’s too warm. It lifts out on the next panel or two and allows the western storm to cut. 

I was looking at that ... ( EPS ).    I would say we are under a Severe Backdoor Watch in effect from late day 6 through day 8, given that EPS scaffold hemisphere during that span.   If there is even a subtle NVA perturbation rotating around the SW-S side of that big vortex over the D. Straight, a BD front will cut underneath that.  That pattern is designed solely for the drilling gelid wind SW at in the lower troposphere - no other reason...  

And its nasty too...  because it does nothing for anyone.   Winter enthusiasts won't get anything for that.  Spring enthusiasts are shunted out.  Oh, there's probably some petty types that sense a moral victory for having anti -SAD version...And just think, off a snow pack and the nadir SSTs... 33 with no freezing drizzle even.

It's getting close to my fantasy time of the year, whence I flee like a Serbian climate refugee to my second home in a different part of the world and don't even check into this pos shit region until mid May, or until such time as I feel it is confident to return.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

I was looking at that ... ( EPS ).    I would say we are under a Severe Backdoor Watch in effect from late day 6 through day 8, given that EPS scaffold hemisphere during that span.   If there is even a subtle NVA perturbation rotating around the SW-S side of that big vortex over the D. Straight, a BD front will cut underneath that.  That pattern is designed solely for the drilling gelid wind SW at in the lower troposphere - no other reason...  

And its nasty too...  because it does nothing for anyone.   Winter enthusiasts won't get anything for that.  Spring enthusiasts are shunted out.  Oh, there's probably some petty types that sense a moral victory for having anti -SAD version...And just think, off a snow pack and the nadir SSTs... 33 with no freezing drizzle even.

It's getting close to my fantasy time of the year, whence I flee like a Serbian climate refugee to my second home in a different part of the world and don't even check into this pos shit region until mid May, or until such time as I feel it is confident to return.

Lol…I always have told myself that if I become mobile to the point of being able to leave in the middle of a school year (so prob not until after my kids are older), I would flee this place in late March or early April and not return until maybe Memorial Day (maybe earlier if weather permits as you said). Just an abysmal time of the year around here.  

21 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Lol…I always have told myself that if I become mobile to the point of being able to leave in the middle of a school year (so prob not until after my kids are older), I would flee this place in late March or early April and not return until maybe Memorial Day (maybe earlier if weather permits as you said). Just an abysmal time of the year around here.  

That’s my plan for retirement. 

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

That's what I do.

NNE mid-April to mid or late May is pretty bad. MD much nicer.

Early April skiing can be good to amazingly good but otherwise give me the bluebells blooming on the plains, the scent of distant grassfires, and the threat of strong convection.  And home in time for our climo favored end of May/ early June EML.

I will say that the CoC days before the humidity and the bugs come out can be some of the nicest wx of the year here, but just too few and far between.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Damage In Tolland said:

We’re starting to fade it away. Into the mild to warm Morch predicted it seems 

It portends some relief from biting cold soon, but we won't really enjay the new regime until it is 77 degrees and the forest turns a shade of lime green with lots of bugs and animals frolicking everywhere.

38 minutes ago, radarman said:

Early April skiing can be good to amazingly good but otherwise give me the bluebells blooming on the plains, the scent of distant grassfires, and the threat of strong convection.  And home in time for our climo favored end of May/ early June EML.

I will say that the CoC days before the humidity and the bugs come out can be some of the nicest wx of the year here, but just too few and far between.

I doubt it this year in the East.

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I don't. Maine is the retention capital of NNE. Try Saddleback 

They don't even have all of their trails open now. We need a lot more snow in NNE to have a good, extended spring. Once the 60s and 70s hit you need a good base on the natural trails. NNE doesn't have that right now anywhere. 

Maybe they are still blasting through the woods way over there. I doubt it, but maybe.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

They don't even have all of their trails open now. We need a lot more snow in NNE to have a good, extended spring. Once the 60s and 70s hit you need a good base on the natural trails. NNE doesn't have that right now anywhere. 

Maybe they are still blasting through the woods way over there. I doubt it, but maybe.

Only woods closed. You are a groomer though.. SR will be prime albeit they start shutting down services lifts  after the first week but it's still the best time in the spring 

2 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Only woods closed. You are a groomer though.. SR will be prime albeit they start shutting down services lifts  after the first week but it's still the best time in the spring 

Yeah, I am not too worried about the main groomers for late March/early April unless we have another round of cutters. I can tell you that NNE is pretty thin on depth. It's not just hyperbole. Depths are not good here even at elevation. A week of 60s with some rain would be pretty hard to deal with if we don't get a bunch more snow.

Many places in NNE are already down to just the groomed/manmade trails and it's not even March yet.

1 hour ago, radarman said:

I nice warm 60-65 degree sunny day in April is some of my favorite weather, no bugs, no humidity, great days to start working on the golf game.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

Yeah, I am not too worried about the main groomers for late March/early April unless we have another round of cutters. I can tell you that NNE is pretty thin on depth. It's not just hyperbole. Depths are not good here even at elevation. A week of 60s with some rain would be pretty hard to deal with if we don't get a bunch more snow.

Many places in NNE are already down to just the groomed/manmade trails and it's not even March yet.

It’s a low snowpack.  Before this past snow, the general region’s mountain snowpack was in a top 10 bad place over the last 60-70 years.  Now depths are a bit higher but the 20:1 ratio snow settled.  It still looks snowy but doesn’t really change anything long term. 

2 hours ago, radarman said:

Freaking bugs...worse than the high dews! First time I visited Arizona I thought I'd despise it as much as Florida, man was I wrong! In the right areas...no bugs and low dews even when its 100

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

Freaking bugs...worse than the high dews! First time I visited Arizona I thought I'd despise it as much as Florida, man was I wrong! In the right areas...no bugs and low dews even when its 100

Bugs? How about that moth in Maine. This moth... Brown Tail Moth... has toxic hairs on it that cause horrific dermatitis that is similar to poison ivy. It is native to Europe but was introduced a couple hundred years ago by accident to New England. At first it took off, then populations of the moth dwindled, only to start flaring up more recently. I think they should do whatever they can to wipe that moth out here. Its not native to New England, and has no business tormenting people's skin in Maine.

Arizona has a large population.... of scorpions. And those scorpions WILL go into your house for shelter and crawl into bed with you. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

I was out tonight with my girl…was her birthday, had a few pops and feeling a lil good, but I can’t understand what Kev is trying to say with those two different posts?  But perhaps it’s me??  :axe:

The map showed a cold April, which is exactly what no one wants.

• Thanks 1

• 40/70 Benchmark changed the title to March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly
  • dendrite unpinned this topic