Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly

40/70 Benchmark

3 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I’m at 45% of my yearly avg so unless Steve’s epic March call produces, the season is in big trouble being labeled as a ratter. 

Woah. I SAID time for the big boys to catch up. Yesterday was first shot across the board expect a bunch of those. Good timed ones and we are in the mix.

1 hour ago, WinterWolf said:

You didn’t do well in the Dec 20 event? That was 14+inches here.  I didn’t realize that Luke. 

We had 10-14” through the area but should have been much much more before the last second massive jump north. 

Just looked back on it man what a let down from what could have been and what was forecast a few days before 

They say this time of year can be psychologically hard on people. And I think I know why. It’s been winter for a long time.

But in addition, something teasing and tantalizing to the senses is going on: major increase in daylight and sun intensity. It messes with the human, who then becomes taunted because they expect it to be 70 degrees outside when instead it’s 15.

I don’t actually know if that’s why there is an uptick in mental distress in Morch. But it’s my best guess.

I personally look forward to the below image: which in truth, is a much more advanced state of “Spring” than the one you get (today) right now when it’s still meteorological AND calendar winter and there’s a slab of ice everywhere.

142A6CFD-776F-43BF-8FA6-BC165992E15B.jpeg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ginx snewx said:

Woah. I SAID time for the big boys to catch up. Yesterday was first shot across the board expect a bunch of those. Good timed ones and we are in the mix.

I know, I tease. It is what it is back this way. I expected a MBN season for WOR so we’re not surprised. Glad you guys out there are doing well though, at least it’s not shit season for everyone here. 

3 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

I think you need to use standard deviation to really determine ratter status. Some places hardly ever get under 50% of their average. ORH hasn’t had a winter below 50% of their average since 1999-2000 when they had 30.2”.

But years like 2001-2002, 2011-2012, and 2015-2016 all had in the 40s and I’d consider them ratters. 

Maybe use the bottom 10% as a threshold, or 15%. 
CAR, working on their 83rd winter, has never had a one with <50% of average - average is 115 and their lowest was 59.6.  10% for CAR would be at 70% of average and 15% would be 75%. 
Farmington's in year 130 with a 90" average and only 79-80 and 80-81 were <50%; #3 had 46.8" (0.1" less than 2015-16).  The 10% threshold would be at 67% of average and 15% would at 71%.

14 minutes ago, weathafella said:

3/18-19/56.   One of my all time favorites 

as I stated before, did an interesting read on that season, in particular that march, good article from Blue Hill observatory about the three storms that March that made it epic, you maybe a few others on here are probably the only ones who actually experienced that month and period from then to the early 70s, where it was as we say, winters of yore. us slightly younger folk begin our winter starting with 77-78 for me anyway, we've had some pretty good March winters in my lifetime, but those 15 or so years had some really good ones, a lot of clipper redevelopment type ones too

1 minute ago, ORH_wxman said:

What a weenie EPS run today

image.thumb.png.8e0d77463cc3dc8f691f8a9cd11e8959.png

What do you think about the March 7th threat? SE ridge too strong at that point or is there room for it to turn into an swfe or Miller B? I would think we need that vortex over Greenland a bit farther south to force secondary redevelopment.

image.thumb.png.bc4a50255519b9a3f2eebe4cb8060c44.png

5 minutes ago, George001 said:

What do you think about the March 7th threat? SE ridge too strong at that point or is there room for it to turn into an swfe or Miller B? I would think we need that vortex over Greenland a bit farther south to force secondary redevelopment.

image.thumb.png.bc4a50255519b9a3f2eebe4cb8060c44.png

Yeah that vortex needs to come south. As modeled right now it’s too warm. It lifts out on the next panel or two and allows the western storm to cut. 

• Like 2

• 40/70 Benchmark changed the title to March 2022 Obs/Disc: In Like a Lamb, Out Like a Butterfly
  • dendrite unpinned this topic