• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.

Typhoon Tip

38 minutes ago, Damage In Tolland said:

I have been burned too many times tossing the NAM. The one time I don’t, I get burned. Go figure 

You were cancelling the storm, and other people were adamantly discounting the snowy UK as being completely inaccurate and useless.

It is still too soon to know with certainty what will unfold but it really does look like a cold storm is coming for these parts, don't it?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Last year my parking lot jacked in one of the storms we got. Somebody here told me that is unusual, and that my town usually gets "screwed more ways than a hoe in the red light district".

Is that actually true? If it is an unfavorable spot, why?

In the two years here I have generally found that we do fairly well in each storm, usually getting a little more snow than Hartford. Albeit, 2 years is a small sample size. 

IJD is a bit of a snow hole because warm air from the south gets in there unimpeded and it can get a bit of downsloping on an east or northeast wind. It’s not the worst spot in CT but usually most of the towns to your north/northeast/west will do better. 

I remember the storm you are talking about though last year…I think it was the super bowl Sunday storm on 2/7/21. That awesome band smoked your area. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 78Blizzard said:

I'm always skeptical of snow map amounts that follow the state borders, as in MA/NH, lol. 

It’s because they don’t forecast for NH. They are using the GYX forecast for the NH amounts. I would assume they coordinate more with GYX on the border region before they issue a more final map. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Just saw Harvey live.  Same map but his words:  8-12 including Boston and Worcester.  If mixing hits the pike region it will be brief.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that map doesn’t get pushed a bit south.

He will probably peak at the 00z NAM to make sure it comes south a little more and then update the map for the 11pm segment. 

3 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Just saw Harvey live.  Same map but his words:  8-12 including Boston and Worcester.  If mixing hits the pike region it will be brief.  I wouldn’t be surprised if that map doesn’t get pushed a bit south.

Btw, I watched him too. Amazing how much energy he still has. You can tell he still gets excited for these higher impact snow events. Lol. Hopefully he goes another couple winters before hanging them up…all time great. First ballot HOFer. 

• Like 10

9 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

You were cancelling the storm, and other people were adamantly discounting the snowy UK as being completely inaccurate and useless.

It is still too soon to know with certainty what will unfold but it really does look like a cold storm is coming for these parts, don't it?

I never cancelled anything. Just wasn’t ready to say the sleet wouldn’t race into NH. More often than not, it does 

NWS Albany

Main uncertainty currently involves how far north a warm layer
aloft extends Friday morning. The 12Z/23 NAM is most aggressive
with bringing such a warm layer farthest north, suggesting a
changeover to sleet/freezing rain for most areas south of I-90,
with some sleet mixing in even to or north of I-90. This
actually seems reasonable, given the anomalous warmth currently
located across the southeastern U.S., and also based on recent
model performance this winter with warm layers aloft.

17 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Btw, I watched him too. Amazing how much energy he still has. You can tell he still gets excited for these higher impact snow events. Lol. Hopefully he goes another couple winters before hanging them up…all time great. First ballot HOFer. 

I recently was given the impression it may be this year :(   ...

• Sad 2

6 minutes ago, qg_omega said:

NWS Albany

Main uncertainty currently involves how far north a warm layer
aloft extends Friday morning. The 12Z/23 NAM is most aggressive
with bringing such a warm layer farthest north, suggesting a
changeover to sleet/freezing rain for most areas south of I-90,
with some sleet mixing in even to or north of I-90. This
actually seems reasonable, given the anomalous warmth currently
located across the southeastern U.S., and also based on recent
model performance this winter with warm layers aloft.

That is definitely one I have never head before...I was not aware nor am I sure that in this case surface warmth that far away has any real relevance to the mid levels 1000 miles way 36 hours later 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Absolutely!  He got to do what he loves and still going strong.

• Like 1

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Winter storm for the 25th of February is imminent.
  • dendrite unpinned this topic