• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

Some of these mesos at 12z are obscenely frigid tomorrow AM. This is going to be an interesting nowcast....because while model bias may be to cool the midlevels too quick, the surface/BL is a different story. The typical bias on model guidance is to cool too slowly when you have a meso-low out east....particularly if a weak barrier jet forms over SW ME and SE NH and then that will just rip right down the corridor east of ORH hills.

• Like 5

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some of these mesos at 12z are obscenely frigid tomorrow AM. This is going to be an interesting nowcast....because while model bias may be too cool the midlevels too quick, the surface/BL is a different story. The typical bias on model guidance is to cool too slowly when you have a meso-low out east....particularly if a weak barrier jet forms over SW ME and SE NH and then that will just rip right down the corridor east of ORH hills.

If we're lucky, might even get enough to do this

SqRwpB2.jpg

• Haha 12
  • Confused 1

A little nowcast obs from up here in NW VT.  36ºF with light showers.  The cold press is certainly delayed.  Just now seeing the first evidence of it crossing the border.  This is 2+ hours behind hi-rez guidance, which had already delayed it 4-6 hours starting last night.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Some of these mesos at 12z are obscenely frigid tomorrow AM. This is going to be an interesting nowcast....because while model bias may be to cool the midlevels too quick, the surface/BL is a different story. The typical bias on model guidance is to cool too slowly when you have a meso-low out east....particularly if a weak barrier jet forms over SW ME and SE NH and then that will just rip right down the corridor east of ORH hills.

Yeah some mesos have that and others do not. I guess it comes down to whether or not a weak low forms near the Cape. 

9 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

yea the WRF-ARW / NSSL aren't backing down .. similar to 0z runs from last night 

gets the sub freezing air to the pike by ~7z 

8 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

You can just see the cold press coming hard and faster now . Happens everytime. Pegged to the coast by 6:00 AM

• Haha 1
  • Confused 3
  • Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

NAM and high-res guidance is all 1.7"-ish liquid or more.

3k NAM and FV3 would be 20"+ here at 10:1.

The band of Friday afternoon and evening looks more and more like high-ratio fluff here; that could tack on 5" in a hurry as the system departs.

And, the blocking here in the CPV looks more and more impressive for tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, das said:

A little nowcast obs from up here in NW VT.  36ºF with light showers.  The cold press is certainly delayed.  Just now seeing the first evidence of it crossing the border.  This is 2+ hours behind hi-rez guidance, which had already delayed it 4-6 hours starting last night.

Yep. 37 here, Alex is 46 (!!).

Cold is slow to arrive. Not precipitating here yet.

No clue if this means anything for down south.

5 minutes ago, das said:

Yeah, GFS has already busted hard. Euro seems more on track.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Yeah, GFS has already busted hard. Euro seems more on track.

GFS was actually pretty good near PIT this morning (had to forecast there last night). GFS was a couple degrees too warm but showed the arrival of 32F better than hrrr. Doesnt mean it right here though. 

35 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

I've noticed over the past couple years some of the HREF members tend to be a bit too cold at 2m and can over-do the low level drain down the valleys here in CT. 

But it is definitely interesting seeing the 12z HREF mean solidly below freezing in Hartford at 12z while HRRR/3km NAM (which are both HREF members) much slower. Shows you how frigid those other members are.

I'm hoping by later today we have a better sense of where that weak wave forms to our southwest and where the front sets up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CT Rain said:

I've noticed over the past couple years some of the HREF members tend to be a bit too cold at 2m and can over-do the low level drain down the valleys here in CT. 

But it is definitely interesting seeing the 12z HREF mean solidly below freezing in Hartford at 12z while HRRR/3km NAM (which are both HREF members) much slower. Shows you how frigid those other members are.

I'm hoping by later today we have a better sense of where that weak wave forms to our southwest and where the front sets up. 

I've noticed it seems easier to bring that cold down the valley vs the NE hills. Hmmm.

7 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

How was the euro

It was decent too, maybe a hair slow, esp south of PIT. There was less disagreement there than there than here. Tough and interesting call around here. If we do get a meso going and solid NE flow, it may very well tuck better into E MA than further west, atleast initially. 

• Like 3