Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

13 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Knew there was something like this that solidified flash freeze's spot on the fraud five

Do you remember any flash freeze? It's really crazy when it happens. In 94 I was living in Ashaway RI awoke to 9 degrees it started raining at 11 degrees we had a great ice storm. The next morning full sun and above freezing by 4 an Arctic front approached it was 40 degrees with water everywhere. There was a very heavy rain squall that came through which quickly turned to snow the temp plummeted in minutes to 25 degrees. Insta freeze everything in a half hour. I mean things like water dripping off the houses and cars. So cool

• Like 2

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

It’s not judgement when you’re affected by it lol. As stated, it’s a tough decision but they lost credibility here when they closed schools for 1” of snow and the sun broke out at 10am, the other week.

You got a nice scolding this morning. Grab a few chewables out of the bag and chew . You’ll get thru it 

Just now, Ginx snewx said:

Do you remember any flash freeze? It's really crazy when it happens. In 94 I was living in Ashaway RI awoke to 9 degrees it started raining at 11 degrees we had a great ice storm. The next morning full sun and above freezing by 4 an Arctic front approached it was 40 degrees with water everywhere. There was a very heavy rain squall that came through which quickly turned to snow the temp plummeted in minutes to 25 degrees. Insta freeze everything in a half hour. I mean things like water dripping off the houses and cars. So cool

I don't personally remember any, no. I can certainly see how it would be a catastrophic event from a travel perspective, and worthy of lots of caution. Just seems they don't often work out.

Just now, UnitedWx said:

I won't argue with that...seen it many times. That's why the year round school talk only ever gets so far

Everyone knows that once Memorial Day weekend hits the educational process  is essentially done. Year round school would not work for a variety of reasons. The staff and students need time to recharge. And to get away from one another for awhile.  

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Just flipped to snow finally here, Its been pingers all night, 19/15°.

gyx-screenshot(1).jpg

Shiws the power of the mid levels given your surface temperature. I thought you were gonna be snowing all night. Over here it’s a mix mostly sleep but some snow from time to time. I wonder how much moisture is actually going to be left by the time we go all over the snow

6 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Exactly. I had the responsibility of calling off work for 100 employees with huge implications on financial bottom line. Sometimes 50k to 100k if large events were scheduled that day. My best call was 12/13/07. I called work an hour before that wall came in. Everyone made it home. We lost a 75 k Bar mitza that night. We all remember the nightmares in New England that day.  The CEO of Foxwooss called me and thanked me. I was trusted after that and did not make an uneeded call  once. But believe me I took a lot of shit from a lot of people but safety is number one as you said.

I'm in ecommerce and we ship from dozens of warehouses across the country and have to decide if a warehouse is going to be shipping out in 24 hours or not.  This current event has been fun, with warehouses in TX, IL, IN all being in the crosshairs.  If we collect orders that don't ship out in 24 hours we get killed. And if I make the call to not ship from a warehouse that remains open and we lose 24 hours of sales, I get killed.  Plus I have to deal with wildfires for CA warehouses, hurricanes, tornadoes, etc.  There is no offseason for bad weather events in the US.  And I have zero met training/knowledge, so I'm just weighing what I read here against what is being put out by the weather networks/nws.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I only remember one when I was living in Worcester--probably 2004.   I was heading to a meeting in Springfield.  Just 1/4 mile from my house people were creeping down hilly roads at less than 5 mph and sliding right into each other.  Made it a quick turn around and cancelled my meeting.

I'm supposed to be getting my daughter this afternoon in Marion.  Hopefully they'll have the main roads and 495 in decent shape.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

Everyone knows that once Memorial Day weekend hits the educational process  is essentially done. Year round school would not work for a variety of reasons. The staff and students need time to recharge. And to get away from one another for awhile.  

So does everyone else with a job, but most people get 2 weeks and the federal holidays.

28 minutes ago, Great Snow 1717 said:

All of the schools districts now have the ability to provide education remotely. I applaud the school districts that cancel in session education but still conduct the educational process online. 

Private schools, like St John's did have today as a remote day.  The state has ruled that no remote days will count towards the 180 this year, so public schools won't do remote days.

8 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Shiws the power of the mid levels given your surface temperature. I thought you were gonna be snowing all night. Over here it’s a mix mostly sleep but some snow from time to time. I wonder how much moisture is actually going to be left by the time we go all over the snow

Nam ended up being right in this, If has a warm layer bank on it, Looks like we got  1.0"/sleet, Now some large aggregates falling, Snow growth should be good from here on out.

• Like 2