joxey
New England Overrunning Event 02/03-02/04/22

dryslot

• Replies 3.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, DavisStraight said:

Did you see blue? When I saw thundersnow the sky lit up blue.

No, didn't see any flash unless I missed it not paying attention. I thought maybe the hot water heat boiler downstairs blew up or something but all seems fine here. My chair was shaking. Woke up the whole house so it wasn't just me dozing and dreaming. LOL

21 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

No, didn't see any flash unless I missed it not paying attention. I thought maybe the hot water heat boiler downstairs blew up or something but all seems fine here. My chair was shaking. Woke up the whole house so it wasn't just me dozing and dreaming. LOL

I only experienced it one time and I know what you mean, it knocked power out at the time but I saw all blue through my skylights when it happened.

Looks like the cold is making a push south in the next hour or two.

2 hours ago, PhineasC said:

You likely felt and heard the bang of a Davis being thrown against a wall in Tollland.. 

• Haha 5

13 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

9” and dumping.

Euro has a nice daytime bonus from 9am-9pm.

F00D997E-AC76-412E-A2B0-CC391CACED40.thumb.png.4dfe8ad30f723ba1cb0706fcc7313da0.png

Nice bullseye for us. 

I’m not going out to measure. But, looks like 10” or so so far for me, which would line up with radar returns since my midnight 6.1” ob. Long fetch of heavier returns lined up to the WSW incoming starting right now.  Was cool to see the lake enhanced streamer showing through under the synoptic flow when returns were (relatively) lighter over the last few hours:

73E2A044-A509-461E-9612-8EAC92B894AD.thumb.jpeg.dec0958ce25ff753ffa94fd15c71d703.jpeg

Back to bed for me…

• Like 3

Latest Meso from SPC:

Mesoscale Discussion 0128
NWS Storm Prediction Center Norman OK
0414 AM CST Fri Feb 04 2022

Areas affected...Upstate New York...central and northern
Vermont...central and northern New Hampshire...and much of Maine

Concerning...Heavy snow 

Valid 041014Z - 041615Z

SUMMARY...Moderate to locally heavy snowfall -- at rates near or slightly in excess of an inch per hour in heavier bands -- is expected through this morning.

DISCUSSION...Latest radar loop shows a zone of moderate to locally heavy snowfall ongoing in a band from portions of eastern/Upstate New York northeastward into Maine.  The precipitation is ongoing in a zone of warm advection north and northeast of a surface low now indicated over the Blue Ridge Mountains vicinity of western Virginia, which is moving northeastward with time along quasi-stationary surface front extending from the low northeastward to southern New England.

With the low not expected to deepen this morning, given very slow eastward translation of the upper system and only very weak height falls at best, the degree of low-level warm advection should remain steady.  This suggests little substantial movement to the freezing/frozen precipitation transition zone with time, but instead only minor oscillations.  As such, precipitation should remain in the form of snow across the discussion area.  Given the cold temperatures, especially with northward extent across the region, a relatively high snow ratio (in excess of 10-1) should support rates locally in excess of an inch per hour in heavier bands.

..Goss.. 02/04/2022

...Please see www.spc.noaa.gov for graphic product...

ATTN...WFO...CAR...GYX...BTV...ALY...BGM...

• Like 1