• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 2

Chicago Storm

12z nam still a decent hit here with 1st wave but it ends it early compared to other guidance. Nam also misses my area with 2nd wave which honestly wouldn't shock me. Hrrr/rap are being consistently more aggressive with 1st wave lasing longer here and also getting me more into 2nd wave. Million dollar question is would you trust it? I'm definitely skeptical. 

4 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

12z nam still a decent hit here with 1st wave but it ends it early compared to other guidance. Nam also misses my area with 2nd wave which honestly wouldn't shock me. Hrrr/rap are being consistently more aggressive with 1st wave lasing longer here and also getting me more into 2nd wave. Million dollar question is would you trust it? I'm definitely skeptical. 

Looks like the 15z RAP has an intense band right up the river valley overnight into the morning over the city

12 minutes ago, Jackstraw said:

I sure hope the ice totals on the far south edge are way overdone.  I wouldn't wish 2 inches of FZ on anyone.  Those totals could be pretty devastating across 8 states.

zr_acc.conus.png

Yeah I have not really looked in at the Tennessee Valley forum, but this has all the hallmarks of a crippling ice event along the Mississippi & Ohio Rivers

• Sad 1

LOT really no changes except to incorporate Dupage and Kendall counties into main warning areas as opposed to separated out prior. Realize this all cosmetic and only matters to those in Chicago. Key message: no changes to thinking, i guess. Gonna be nip and tuck. If Alek pulls 10" out of his butt crack on this from 72 hours out it maybe an all timer.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I've been so busy focusing on my backyard but I just compared the GFS and GEM and those are absolutely incredible differences for snow amounts in Southern Ohio, Indiana and eastward for only being a few days out

Pretty good model consensus right now. The NAM, GFS, EURO, GEM..... all put the exact same QPF output down for me.

• Like 1

right now my winter storm warning is until 00z Friday

I suspect after 00z  or 06z Thursday it may get downgraded to a winter weather advisory for another 1-2 inches and some blowing and drifting

interesting dilemma for ILX for the NW zones for part 2 keep the warning all the way or downgrade for the later parts

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Hoping that isn't just a tease. Hrrr/rap are good at luring you in then tear out your heart strings. Lol

ILX cut snowfall totals in latest winter weather statement from 8-16 to 7-15 area wide since  the 3am one

I suspect its because of the more SE 2nd system and less overlap with the first band

1 minute ago, janetjanet998 said:

ILX cut snowfall totals in latest winter weather statement from 8-16 to 7-15 area wide since  the 3am one

I suspect its because of the more SE 2nd system and less overlap with the first band

Yeah the 2nd wave seems to be trending more and more se. We pretty much get everything from 1st wave. I was reading where some warmer air aloft could impact ratios though. I think LOT mentioned it. Curious if that will impact these big totals models are putting out. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

I've been so busy focusing on my backyard but I just compared the GFS and GEM and those are absolutely incredible differences for snow amounts in Southern Ohio, Indiana and eastward for only being a few days out

Looks like the GFS has a stronger upper trough over Hudson bay reinforcing the southerly cold air push suppressing the surface wave.  GDPS has that trough weaker and flatter allowing the surface wave to hook a little longer before shunting east. 

Maybe:weenie: 

500wh_nb.na.png

500wh_nb.na.png

Anecdotally, I don't trust this system not to mix all the way up to at least Akron, OH, which the Canadian/RGEM insist on. And maybe the Canadian models are doing better with the PV over Canada. That's my analysis for the day ;)

But for real, I think how the PV interacts with the storm is quite important here for wave 2. With a jet streak to the north providing plenty of divergence aloft and with the precip largely being driven by warm air advection processes...to go along with what should be a lot of latent heat release from convection in the Gulf Coast states and from the anomalously high PWATs getting wrung out as the moisture gets lifted over the front, I feel like if the PV doesn't press down more there is room for last second northwest bumps with the wave on Thursday. If the PV presses down more it will overwhelm these processes, but if it holds steady or backs off slightly I'd expect a bump back NW. Can argue we've stopped the trend of the PV pressing down more in recent runs at the least.

gfs-ens_z500a_namer_fh48_trend.thumb.gif.cc6570a8e9a2ba805b6cb46cb104f123.gif

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

24 minutes ago, Baum said:

LOT really no changes except to incorporate Dupage and Kendall counties into main warning areas as opposed to separated out prior. Realize this all cosmetic and only matters to those in Chicago. Key message: no changes to thinking, i guess. Gonna be nip and tuck. If Alek pulls 10" out of his butt crack on this from 72 hours out it maybe an all timer.

Northern fgen weenie band and lake will bring me to the promised land 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Jackstraw said:

KIND mets tired? lol

.LONG TERM...(Wednesday through Monday)
Issued at 259 AM EST Tue Feb 1 2022

Dry but cold weather will follow Friday into early next week.
Temperatures should stay below normal with little if any snow.

I noticed that. lol It's like nobody cares what happens after Thursday

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, TheRegionRat said:

SREF Plume mean at GYY is 15 inches. I don't know if these are very accurate, but that's as high a total as I can recall.  It's in line with the NAM and HRRR.  

3z run was actually over 17"

Large cluster of ~14-20" on the 9z run that you mentioned.

• Like 1

ILX late morning update

UPDATE...
Issued at 1100 AM CST Tue Feb 1 2022

No significant adjustments needed with the morning update in terms
of precipitation amounts and timing for the winter storm event.
We did coordinate an update to the headline to transition Edgar
and Clark counties from a watch to a winter storm warning.
Adjacent Indiana counties to the east also upgraded to a warning
with this mornings forecast update.

As for current weather conditions, we are seeing a corridor of
rain showers developing from SW to NE across central IL. The
precip is developing in a shallow saturated lower level cloud
layer. Therefore rainfall amounts will remain on the light side
today. Deeper moisture and UVVs will arrive later this afternoon
and this evening, as the cold front progresses from NW to SE
across the area. By 6 pm, the cold front should have progressed to
a line from Champaign to Taylorville, just east of I-55. Low level
cold air behind the front will change the rain to snow soonest
across our NW counties, west of the Illinois River. That
transition zone will shift to the SE with time tonight, reaching
just north of I-70 by 6 am Wednesday. A freezing rain/sleet
transition zone will occur during the change-over from rain to
snow. Where that zone stalls out later tonight and Wednesday will
be where the higher potential of icing and sleet will occur,
roughly between I-70 and I-72. Snowfall amounts tonight could
reach up to 2-4" for our northern counties, with travel impacts
likely for the Wed morning commute as far south as a line from
Paris to Mattoon to Taylorville.

Further updates to this winter storm forecast will come toward
mid-afternoon.
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Owensnow said:

Agreed

Here is hoping, perhaps todays high temps will reposition the eventual boundary?

Cheers

You wouldn't necessarily want to focus on whether high temps are warmer than expected, but rather if the actual boundary is lagging behind.  

It's very common for temps to exceed expectations in a warm sector.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked this topic