Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 2

Chicago Storm

2 minutes ago, Chicago Storm said:

0z RGEM with a big jump north with the main storm system, but still south of the GFS/NAM.

What the hell happened to the ukmet? Its been way way south the whole time. Did they run some kind of update on it and now its scores arent as good? I remember it having the best verification scores as recent as last yr.

• Like 1

I would sell my soul for 0z nam to verify. But it's long range nam so I know it's unlikely and it loves to overamp systems. At this point any one model solution is still possible but definitely a north trend today. Curious to see if this holds tomorrow or if we go back to shifting south again. This system is whiplash on my emotions. Lol

@snowstormcanuck

minutes ago,  snowstormcanuck said: 

You think that's a risk here?

Anything's possible but even this amped NAM run extrapolated I think would keep us all snow.  Regardless if it's a northern camp or southern camp model, they all agree there won't be much phasing with the northern stream.  It will eventually shear off to the east and press the arctic front southwards.  It's just the northern models amplify the southern stream wave more robustly initially which allows things to go further north with the storm before that shearing process begins.

There are a few EURO and GFS ensemble members which are warmer so you never know.  But right now my money's on snow.

Expand  

Oh sorry not for GTA 

risk is a bit bigger for Niagara Falls Ontario/New York 

I meant back across Texas-WNY. Whoever is just south of the snow and that exact placement I don’t think we know until now casting. I can see a scenario where it’s snow in Buffalo but 15 miles SE it’s an Ice Storm 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

What the hell happened to the ukmet? Its been way way south the whole time. Did they run some kind of update on it and now its scores arent as good? I remember it having the best verification scores as recent as last yr.

My theory is that the UKMET scores are made up, because whenever it's way out to lunch (several times per winter between the Midwest and East Coast) and I think to myself "well maybe it's on to something because it's the second best verifying global model overall" it ends up being entirely wrong. Current GFS and Euro a decent starting point IMO, with my general thought being modest north bumps are more likely than south bumps from where we're at currently. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

Intriguing question, and not one that's easy to answer. For the month of December, the model was a narrow third-place in RMSE through Day 5 (behind the ECMWF and GFS), though interestingly enough by Hour 144 the UKMET actually was slightly more accurate than the ECMWF. Experts in the modeling field could answer much better than myself but from the data I see, while it hasn't taken the way of the JMA (hopelessly lost), it seems it performs best beyond Day 5.

202112_eg_rmse_GZ500_NA.png

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

I would sell my soul for 0z nam to verify. But it's long range nam so I know it's unlikely and it loves to overamp systems. At this point any one model solution is still possible but definitely a north trend today. Curious to see if this holds tomorrow or if we go back to shifting south again. This system is whiplash on my emotions. Lol

You can go ahead and do a temporary change to your profile pic.

You're Golden, trust me

ponyboy.jpg.a828d1c6ee37f2d0ad96de5762d334f4.jpg

• Haha 4

2 minutes ago, WeatherMonger said:

You can go ahead and do a temporary change to your profile pic.

You're Golden, trust me

ponyboy.jpg.a828d1c6ee37f2d0ad96de5762d334f4.jpg

LOL. I wouldn't worry man. I honestly still think you're fine man. Don't let NAM worry you. GFS and Euro wallop you. I wouldn't be shocked if this trends south again. Anything is still on the table. I still think you're in a better position than me imo. 

12 minutes ago, OHweather said:

My theory is that the UKMET scores are made up, because whenever it's way out to lunch (several times per winter between the Midwest and East Coast) and I think to myself "well maybe it's on to something because it's the second best verifying global model overall" it ends up being entirely wrong. Current GFS and Euro a decent starting point IMO, with my general thought being modest north bumps are more likely than south bumps from where we're at currently. 

Agree and have to remember too this is starting in some placed in less than 48 hours. The clock is running out for anything other than noise level changes.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Stebo said:

Agree and have to remember too this is starting in some placed in less than 48 hours. The clock is running out for anything other than noise level changes.

For the overrunning event, yes. But the main storm system isn't really until later Wednesday night into Thursday.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Stevo6899 said:

The UKMET actually had a few good performances last winter, as did the Canadian duo.

The UKMET has been horrendous this winter though. Unsure if they performed any 'upgrades' or not.

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

LOL. I wouldn't worry man. I honestly still think you're fine man. Don't let NAM worry you. GFS and Euro wallop you. I wouldn't be shocked if this trends south again. Anything is still on the table. I still think you're in a better position than me imo. 

If only I was an optimist :lol:

I'll take an inch of rain and 2" snow over sleet and ice in any amounts. This is going to end up an I-74 to I-80 special in IL.

Gotta get the SE MI screwzone in somehow :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Powerball said:

GFS looks like it ticked south with the main system.

Just now, mimillman said:

The tiniest tick southeast with the main event. Energy looks to dig a bit less at 500mb, think that’s what caused it?

Different orientation. Storm itself was a bump NW.

• Like 1

• Rjay locked this topic