Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 2

Chicago Storm

Just now, Powerball said:

It's not even about being a weenie though. They're just loud and wrong.

@michsnowfreak you see this shit?

@RCNYILWX @OHweather come get your coworker.

Its gotta surprise the nws mets how many real weather nerds/snowstorm nerds there really are out there.  Sometimes when they're writing their AFd's and social media posts, I think that they forget that a large number of people actually read them lol.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

[mention=276]michsnowfreak[/mention] you see this shit?
[mention=3997]RCNYILWX[/mention] come get your coworker.
Two points I'd make:
1) I wouldn't have framed the tweet like that. I would've urged caution at the maps because a. they are based on an algorithm that doesn't account for important factors that determine SLR and how much snow falls, and also don't adequately account for sleet

b. they include snow from a second part of the event that's still uncertain at this time

2) On the issue of snow amount vs snow depth, we're inconsistent on it. The official sites use 6-hour board clearing methods to lessen the effect of compaction, but also arguably inflate totals above what most in the general public would witness, which is snow depth. COOP and CoCoRaHS observers aren't required to measure more than once in 24 hours.

Some observers, especially CoCoRaHS, will measure and report more frequently during a storm. Most COOP observers emphatically don't measure frequently, since many of them are now at water plants and other public works buildings. This can create inconsistency between amounts being reported, and the 24 hour measurement will essentially be reporting snow depth.

Because of all this, I wouldn't have waded into the waters of snow amount vs snow depth and instead focused on point 1 as the reason to not get too caught up in individual model run snow totals.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

We've had multiple 8+ storms the last 6 years. However 6 years ago is when our epic stretch of winters gave way to more normal winters unfortunately. 

I was trying to find the NWS news archives, but locally I don't think I have had the same luck as downriver.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Powerball said:

@michsnowfreak you see this shit?

@RCNYILWX come get your coworker.

It's ridiculous. And Also a reminder. Regardless of how much ends up falling, this will be a long duration event. What that means is when you wake up Friday morning and the snow has ended, sticking a yard stick, measuring depth, and calling it total is underdone.  Just like how lake effect snow and big East Coast storms always see the depth less than the total fall after 2 days, that's what we will see. You measure every 6 hours.  Also have to take into account drifting as well as whatever old snow remains on the ground.  Definitely have to be on your toes when measuring this one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Two points I'd make:
1) I wouldn't have framed the tweet like that. I would've urged caution at the maps because a. they are based on an algorithm that doesn't account for important factors that determine SLR and how much snow falls

b. they include snow from a second part of the event that's still uncertain at this time

2) On the issue of snow amount vs snow depth, we're inconsistent on it. The official sites use 6-hour board clearing methods to lessen the effect of compaction, but also arguably inflate totals above what most in the general public would witness, which is snow depth. COOP and CoCoRaHS observers aren't required to measure more than once in 24 hours.

Some observers, especially CoCoRaHS, will measure and report more frequently during a storm. Most COOP observers emphatically don't measure frequently, since many of them are now at water plants and other public works buildings. This can create inconsistency between amounts being reported, and the 24 hour measurement will essentially be reporting snow depth.

Because of all this, I wouldn't have waded into the waters of snow amount vs snow depth and instead focused on point 1 as the reason to not get too caught up in individual model run snow totals.

I figured they would have at least corrected themselves when the 1st person questioned their original tweet.

But instead, they dug in their heels and doubled down. :lol:

2 minutes ago, Jonger said:

I was trying to find the NWS news archives, but locally I don't think I have had the same luck as downriver.

Here's my 6+ since our epic stretch ended after the winter of 14-15.

15-16: none (biggest 5.0)

16-17: 10.9" Dec 11/12

17-18: 6.5" Dec 13/14...9.3" Feb 9

18-19: 6.1" Jan 19

19-20: 8.5" Nov 11/12...7.0" Jan 20...6.0" Feb 25/26

20-21: 11.0" Feb 15/16

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

Feb 15/16 2021 actually first came to my mind as a possible analog for this storm.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RCNYILWX said:

Two points I'd make:
1) I wouldn't have framed the tweet like that. I would've urged caution at the maps because a. they are based on an algorithm that doesn't account for important factors that determine SLR and how much snow falls, and also don't adequately account for sleet

These are all valid points. But again. The tweet flat out said don't expect these amounts because of compaction.  Again, whenever you see reports of a major lake effect snow event in Marquette or Buffalo or of an East Coast snowstorm they say how much fell. They don't say "but there's actually XX on the ground". 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, michsnowfreak said:

My area has also had many 6"+ storms.  There is something different about Howell area.   While I am in the same county the Howell area is impacted by storms differently (i.e. Jonger).   

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Lightning said:

My area has also had many 6"+ storms.  There is something different about Howell area.   While I am in the same county the Howell area is impacted by storms differently (i.e. Jonger).   

I only got 5" Nov 21 2015 when you and jonger got slammed. It was gorgeous scenic snow but a big miss of heavier totals (and I forgot I had a 5.5 snow in Feb 16 oops. I was going by memory lol).

I've been measuring snow since 95-96. The only winters without a 6+ storm:

96-97, 97-98, 99-00, 03-04, 11-12 & 15-16

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Powerball said:

I figured they would have at least corrected themselves when the 1st person questioned their original tweet.

But instead, they dug in their heels and doubled down. :lol:

Kinda like DDC did when they were called out for that unwarned EF2 tornado a few years ago. NWS has gotten bad lately.

• Haha 1
  • Weenie 2

• Rjay locked this topic