Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Feb 1-3rd GHD III Part 2

Chicago Storm

7 minutes ago, Weather Mike said:

Agree GFS making some slight corrections south. Euro coming slightly north. ICON south. RGEM and NAM coming north. 

What a battle. Some changes of 30-50 miles makes a difference. 

My comment about the EURO was tongue in cheek.

In my honest opinion, we'll probably see further consolidation with the heaviest amounts from C. Illinois, N. Central IN and NW Ohio, along with a continued but slow drying trend.

Just now, mimillman said:

If I were to guess, the GFS is overcorrecting South and we will see bumps north for the main event beginning tomorrow.

fairly decent consensus at this point. We're just watching every 30 mile shift because it matters so much on the edge. Which is unfortunately where were riding.  Nice looking storm. Many twists and turns still to come.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

12z GEM bumped north with he overrunning event.

Not surprising though, given the RGEM bumped north as well.

I know that there are many players on the board but this close to the storm why are the models struggling so much.

I fully expect the southern placement of snow to remain south.

1 minute ago, Baum said:

fairly decent consensus at this point. We're just watching every 30 mile shift because it matters so much on the edge. Which is unfortunately where were riding.  Nice looking storm. Many twists and turns still to come.

Seems so. You head south of Chicago and models have been pretty consistent since Fridayish. Chicago crew just right on the edge of the big dog so I’m sure it feels like a wild ride to them 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ILSNOW said:

know that there are many players on the board but this close to the storm why are the models struggling so much.

Said every storm.  But I think they have been remarkably consistent in this case.  We have had shifts of 30-50 miles from 6 days out

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Baum said:

Only thing I could see is a steady drying out in the heavy band through central IL and Indiana. Instead of 25-30" more like 10-15"

There are roughly three periods where northern areas will have favorable support from the upper jet dynamics. These setups usually produce banded snows, and it's not something you'll see on modeled QPF. How much snow they produce depends on whether the best frontogenesis and lift correspond with the DGZ. 

The most impressive period for this setup is on Thursday - circled below is the right rear quad of a ~190KT jet streak. Should some of the more southern solutions verify (with a less amped SE/E Coast ridge and a pig-headed PV over Ontario/Quebec instead of Hudson Bay), these dynamics end up farther south. 2074350827_ScreenShot2022-01-31at10_01_17AM.thumb.png.3539cd33af73ba84ab14a47bc0869dcd.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

9 minutes ago, ILSNOW said:

I know that there are many players on the board but this close to the storm why are the models struggling so much.

I fully expect the southern placement of snow to remain south.

It's pretty much the same back and worth we see with most potential storm systems/event these days.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, KokomoWX said:

For those interested, here is a nice video on the upcoming storms.  (Trained meteorologist)  He did a nice job on the recent nor'easter. 

He’s not a meteorologist and used to be abysmal. Ever since he crashed his “storm seeker” in Texas he’s been humbled and kinda cleaned up his act a bit even.

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Chicago Storm said:

It's pretty much the same back and worth we see with most potential storm systems/event these days.

Wonder if the south trend has to do with the initial Vort over the NW being well sampled last night into today while the southern Vort will not be as well sampled until tomorrow afternoon.  Still can go either way but makes me wonder if the GFS changes are related.

• Like 1

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

Good ol' model emotional whiplash. Some models north, others south. Definitely a little nervous a south trend may continue again. Hoping at this point it will be just be small bumps north or south. I haven't had double digit snow in a while now. This looks like my best shot. 

Good news is it is running out of time, for the first waves anyway.

I'm still a bit pessimistic, been in the bullseye for way too long to stay in it. That just doesn't happen.

6 minutes ago, purduewx80 said:

There are roughly three periods where northern areas will have favorable support from the upper jet dynamics. These setups usually produce banded snows, and it's not something you'll see on modeled QPF. How much snow they produce depends on whether the best frontogenesis and lift correspond with the DGZ. 

Even if the models get the positioning of synoptic features correct, the positioning of snow bands is hard to predict.  If the frontal zone aloft is mostly stationary throughout the event the same heavy bands may persist over some areas more than others within the same general swath.  Will be interesting if there ends up being a narrow band of really extreme totals in some places.

7 minutes ago, StormChaser4Life said:

Good ol' model emotional whiplash. Some models north, others south. Definitely a little nervous a south trend may continue again. Hoping at this point it will be just be small bumps north or south. I haven't had double digit snow in a while now. This looks like my best shot. 

You will be just fine 

• Like 1

• Rjay locked this topic