Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 28-30th Possible Nor'easter

Rjay

Just now, MJO812 said:

SNJ gets crushed with over 20 inches of snow 

Snowfall maps are extra useless with this storm.

The models simply cannot pinpoint where the heaviest banding is going to occur so they broad brush a lot of snow.

When you see totals like this, it means that you're going to see a lot of areas over 18".

• Like 1

Just now, NJwx85 said:

The models simply cannot pinpoint where the heaviest banding is going to occur so they broad brush a lot of snow.

When you see totals like this, it means that you're going to see a lot of areas over 18".

True... but its still fun to look at :)

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NJwx85 said:

And the ratios are going to be high as well N and W. Climo up by me in Dutchess is 12:1 and I suspect it could be 15:1 or higher with this storm. Euro gives me 1.40 qpf. I'd sign for that now but do want it to come a tick west.  

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

Looks perfectly fine to me for 90% of us, maybe not the well NW areas. Low really gets going a good bit E of NC but makes a sharp turn north with the bombing upper air low. Very nice phase but a bit delayed from last run. Not surprising since other models are still decently east of the Euro. Maybe some sort of compromise. 

It isn’t too often that the twin forks, Montauk Point and Fishers Island stay all snow and places like Orange, Rockland, Passaic still get heavy snow out of it like the Euro is showing, that would be an extremely unusual storm should that actually happen

2 minutes ago, MJO812 said:

received_452235933055021.jpeg

As I mentioned, this output is just like the 06Z euro control run....which as I read it uses the non-perturbed ensemble members and best available data.  That being said, in my experience tracking east coast storms the control does not come close to the operational in terms of what actually occurs when they diverge, have no idea why.  In this case they match.

1 minute ago, SnoSki14 said:

Almost at the range where Euro would lock in. 

I just remember the problems it seems to have with overdoing/overamping these type of redeveloping storms. Hopefully this bias was fixed since Jan 2015 when we were burned west of Suffolk County. I’d really want the models like the GFS keep coming west to be confident in it. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would also dump any crazy Kuchera snow maps. Winds will lower ratios to 10-1, maybe slightly higher to like 12-1 especially near the coast. But where the banding happens will definitely produce big time. 

The “max” shown over DE is from the early closing off and maxing out lift from the closing off upper lows there but it’s way too early to pinpoint where that happens. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, jm1220 said:

I would also dump any crazy Kuchera snow maps. Winds will lower ratios to 10-1, maybe slightly higher to like 12-1 especially near the coast. But where the banding happens will definitely produce big time. 

The “max” shown over DE is from the early closing off and maxing out lift from the closing off upper lows there but it’s way too early to pinpoint where that happens. 

You and your logic and scientific reasoning. Psh. 

• Haha 1