• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
MLK 2022 Storm Potential

stormtracker

Was really hard to follow wtf the models did last night, lot of banter to read through. 

I don't want storm mode, so this is me, mom, asking yall just to dial it back from an 8 to a 4/5 today regarding banter posts during model runs.

Many thanks :wub: 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

As always with a coastal storm, there's 1000 moving parts and subtle changes can initiate huge sensible weather changes at any given location.  In general, for those of us in the metro corridor, I think we want to look for a few things to make the storm more white than wet (in no preferred order):

1.  Increase confluence and lower heights to our north/northeast.  This would resist the N/NW motion of the storm and help lock in colder air longer.

2.  Increase the forward speed of the storm.  It still has been trending slower, which gives more time for our very nice antecedent airmass to move out.  Speed it up and it's moving precip into a better airmass for snow.

3.  Delay/weaken the northern stream shortwave in the Great Lakes that yanks it north/northwestward.  Without this shortwave, this storm is probably a southern slider.  We want it to just provide a LITTLE pull to get it up the coast, but not TOO MUCH that would make it cut to Cleveland.  Clearly the trend so far has been too much phasing.  

• Like 5
  • Thanks 7

1 minute ago, mappy said:

Was really hard to follow wtf the models did last night, lot of banter to read through. 

I don't want storm mode, so this is me, mom, asking yall just to dial it back from an 8 to a 4/5 today regarding banter posts during model runs.

Many thanks :wub: 

Even I would agree. It was awful last night. Mainly CenterTim. What a performance that was.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, WinterWxLuvr said:

The 6z gfs is almost the scenario I’ve been speaking of. Primary low in tn/ky that jumps. I just didn’t expect it to jump to Manassas.

Yeah, I feel like a transfer at that latitude with cold in place can actually work for us.  Maybe this will keep evolving….I guess the problem is the high is gone by that point. 

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

As always with a coastal storm, there's 1000 moving parts and subtle changes can initiate huge sensible weather changes at any given location.  In general, for those of us in the metro corridor, I think we want to look for a few things to make the storm more white than wet (in no preferred order):

1.  Increase confluence and lower heights to our north/northeast.  This would resist the N/NW motion of the storm and help lock in colder air longer.

2.  Increase the forward speed of the storm.  It still has been trending slower, which gives more time for our very nice antecedent airmass to move out.  Speed it up and it's moving precip into a better airmass for snow.

3.  Delay/weaken the northern stream shortwave in the Great Lakes that yanks it north/northwestward.  Without this shortwave, this storm is probably a southern slider.  We want it to just provide a LITTLE pull to get it up the coast, but not TOO MUCH that would make it cut to Cleveland.  Clearly the trend so far has been too much phasing.  

6 hours on the sw over the Midwest would probably be all it would take

9 minutes ago, Wonderdog said:

So to my untrained eye, the EURO places the ULL in sw VA and it moves basically northeast from there while the GFS has it move basically through west VA. What causes the difference between the two? 

To me, and I’m a dummy, the HP up top moves to the East faster than we would like. If it stays over the NE the.n the low can’t go as far west. The low has to feel the weakness which would be closer to the coast

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mappy said:

It. Is. Wednesday. Come on.

Totally agree. We’ve seen such huge shifts within 60 hours of storm start this year already! We’re at twice that range almost! This storm already had a massive shift in presentation yesterday! I’d say we have AT LEAST until the 0z Friday runs if not more time for positive shifts. That said, 0z euro is a solution I’d still pretty happily take for MBY…

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

Just now, WxUSAF said:

Totally agree. We’ve seen such huge shifts within 60 hours of storm start this year already! We’re at twice that range almost! This storm already had a massive shift in presentation yesterday! I’d say we have AT LEAST until the 0z Friday runs if not more time for positive shifts. That said, 0z euro is a solution I’d still pretty happily take for MBY…

I'd take the UKIE and Euro as well

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Let’s move this thing bout 50 miles East for the euro and about 300 for the GFS. I think that’s reasonable 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Interstate said:

The only problem is that they keep shifting west. We need to stop that trend first. 

Agreed. 

We do need the west trend to stop. We don't want this to trend so far west that it's congrats Detroit. Hard to come back from that as we get under 100 hours.

Still plenty of time to adjust to a more favorable low location from where it's at  now.

16 minutes ago, olafminesaw said:

Popping in from the SE forum, it's wild how the fate of central NC lines up so much with the fate of this sub forum. Can't think of very many other analogs in that way, other than Jan 2000.

It often aligns with the NC Triad, but not sure if you consider it Central North Carolina.

• WxUSAF locked and unpinned this topic