Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Monitoring a potential important TV to East Coastal storm: Jan 17

Typhoon Tip

3 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't concentrate on the big L though. As Scott says look at the conveyor belts and temps. Forcing is way ahead of the big L. That's the meat and potatoes for us. 6 to 9 hrs and she gone

I'd like to believe if this somehow did miraculously get itself out over water, then that look might change a bit as well?

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Don't concentrate on the big L though. As Scott says look at the conveyor belts and temps. Forcing is way ahead of the big L. That's the meat and potatoes for us. 6 to 9 hrs and she gone

The timing will help keep the liquid to a min. How that timeframe is sliced (frozen vs non) is TBD.

11 minutes ago, Chrisrotary12 said:

The 00z Euro op verbatim is really a useless event. 2-3" of snow followed by 0.5" of rain. All in about 6-8 hours. If you wake up to 2" of snow and its washed away by noon, did it even happen?

Yeah, forgettable event for most.  Some are trying to save face exaggerating the importance of it

• Weenie 1

So to me this makes sense. Compare 00z GEFS and 06z GEFS.

- At 00z Monday you can see the srn stream on the 6z run is a bit east of the 00z position. 

- Nrn stream at 06z appears a little more strung out and weaker. All the energy at 00z is in the back of the s/w which will tighten it up.

- Confluence north of New England looks better, especially as you advance 12 hrs. 

image.png.7acd051c7045b0d4dd6b6689850f6df0.png

image.png.c318a9baf37fcf68533fc5a1ebdd1088.png

• Thanks 2

41 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

Wait, so the opposite of what Tip said?

31 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

I still have no idea how to read those sensitivity charts, but makes sense knocking down the ridge a bit would shove things east down. 
Although I think a strong nrn vort is a risk of picking up the srn vort. 

That’s how I’m reading it too. The northern stream is really dominant in these ensemble runs. It digs so much that the southern stream has no choice but to slingshot inland.

21 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

I really don’t hate thinking of some of these “bad” runs as a WAA thump and done. Throw a laterally translating band across for 6” region wide and then slot. It wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen this winter. 

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

That's what I think but it won't matter to you or I. Thumpidity Thump to rain back to light snow. First call out Saturday. Some more kinks towards LI so maybe not done moving  we track

I actually believe it does matter. If it tracks over the outer cape which is Climo , it would basically  go heavy snow to sleet to drizzle and dry slot and limit any warmth  or melting. If it cuts up the CTRV that will blast temps well into the 40’s and 55+ in E MA

Just now, OceanStWx said:

That’s how I’m reading it too. The northern stream is really dominant in these ensemble runs. It digs so much that the southern stream has no choice but to slingshot inland.

I really don’t hate thinking of some of these “bad” runs as a WAA thump and done. Throw a laterally translating band across for 6” region wide and then slot. It wouldn’t be the worst thing to happen this winter. 

TBH, it would be the best thing that has happened this winter for me....quite literally.

10 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Good stuff from you last night. I miss the days of analyzing. I'm out of the forecast biz since May. :( 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

13 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

Thanks! The point I was trying to explain to him was that my layman's eye was seeing the southern shortwave keep getting slowed/delayed on the models, which seemed to be giving the northern stream shortwave more time to catch up relative to how far east the southern shortwave makes it before starting to get captured, which I think would have the same result as a stronger northern stream s/w...an earlier capture? Am I thinking about this correctly?