• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

2 minutes ago, dryslot said:

I'm not even taking the RGEM seriously either until its inside 24hrs and that's a reach, It has been horrendous all year this year and the past 3 or 4 yrs and finally catches on the last 24 hrs when who cares.

It's interesting how people in different regions and based on different storms have such a different impression of individual models. People in the NYC, PHL, and MA forums have been praising the RGEM recently for its performance this winter.

I think every model has its day. But it's never black and white. A model might nail one aspect of a storm in one region, but miss something else, somewhere else. No single model is best everywhere, every time.

• Thanks 2

10 minutes ago, JC-CT said:

you could say reggie is not quite as good but it's still decent and pretty similar. it should go without saying, but nobody should be expecting a regionwide 12" storm.

The Reggie did very well at picking up the extended freezing rain this morning. Most models either had very little precip or 33 and rain...

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Baroclinic Zone said:

Just comparing the 06 and 12z RGEM runs and they're virtually the same.  Maybe a hair less amplified but nothing noteworthy.

It's definitely a smidge east with the best goods....but yeah we're parsing really tiny differences. It's definitely has had the lowest run to run variance of any model in the past 24 hours.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, eduggs said:

It's interesting how people in different regions and based on different storms have such a different impression of individual models. People in the NYC, PHL, and MA forums have been praising the RGEM recently for its performance this winter.

I think every model has its day. But it's never black and white. A model might nail one aspect of a storm in one region, but miss something else, somewhere else. No single model is best everywhere, every time.

Correct, Its a little different down there, They praise the Nam as well but when you have lows coming off the coast in the same areas of the MA, I think you have more that would paint the same picture with some small nuances, Once you get up here in latitude, Where some minor changes become bigger issues and spread becomes greater, Example would be if you have a SLP cross 40/70, Where it goes from there will have an adverse effect of seeing precip or no precip, Spoke of this yesterday.

Some of the guidance is trying to curl the storm almost due north very briefly (maybe 3-4 hours) when it gets about due east of ACK. That would have to be watched for prolonging the moderate/heavy snow for eastern areas on Friday morning. It's probably the strong vort trying to capture the sfc reflection back west from the convection.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, mahk_webstah said:

Scooter wins.

The rest of us hope

Uncanny how my area is the anti ORH in the sense that I'm never far enough in a given direction....always too far north or south. North early in the year, now south for Monday and Friday. Going to add to the frustration if that comes to fruition.

Just now, ORH_wxman said:

Some of the guidance is trying to curl the storm almost due north very briefly (maybe 3-4 hours) when it gets about due east of ACK. That would have to be watched for prolonging the moderate/heavy snow for eastern areas on Friday morning. It's probably the strong vort trying to capture the sfc reflection back west from the convection.

That's what I've been seeing as heights lift out ahead of this.  Allows the storm to amplify and curl left.

6 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Somewhere. Someone mentioned that track a day or two ago 

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic