• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?

Typhoon Tip

22 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Yeah almost looks like you can see the two camps with the low closer to synoptic dynamics and the one with the convection. 

Yep... we posted about this earlier, both from perspective of surface low position and disrupted conveyor mechanics.

Majority of EPS members are west of mean, and the median is probably more informative. If the convection is not in play, the true mean is significantly more west.

Watch models jump within next 2-3 cycles.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Yeah, So far, That convection is there, It keeps showing up, But i did notice it looked weaker and east on the OP at 18z from the 12z run, And the SLP heading off the Carolina coast wasn't as influenced by it as it moved north, I think that can still get overcome going forward.

Seems like this scenario is in play almost every coastal. The biggest cause of model mayhem.

10 minutes ago, wxsniss said:

Yep... we posted about this earlier, both from perspective of surface low position and disrupted conveyor mechanics.

Majority of EPS members are west of mean, and the median is probably more informative. If the convection is not in play, the true mean is significantly more west.

Watch models jump within next 2-3 cycles.

Couldn't agree more. 

1 minute ago, Typhoon Tip said:

And the spread is still on the west side …, incredible. Man. What are we …? 3 1/2 days 

I think this at least partially has something to do with the dueling lows structure...some have the main low dominant, a few have the leading vort take over, and some "melt" them together? I'm literally making stuff up here.

• Haha 1

I get minutes of delay behind when you guys get model data because I use Pivotal. I know it’s not the best but I’ve been using it for 5 years it’s what I know. I don’t use it in the summer, and I don’t come here in the summer either. Summer weather is a different vibe when it comes to forecasts and the like. 

I kind of like the 18z EURO Kuchie map for some reason.

A widespread 3-6" with locally 6-8" is just what this forum needs.  It'll be interesting to see the snow growth potential the next couple of days.  Ratios always matter... small flake vs deform dendrites.  Kuchie runs fluffy when its cold.

ecmwf-deterministic-neng-snow_24hr_kuchera-1610800.thumb.png.2eadd0576d0168b888372d81bd2d1a56.png

• Typhoon Tip changed the title to Tracking Jan 7 coastal storm. Lingering compression/flow velocity has not lent to consensus, but it seems at 30 hours out.. finally?
  • dendrite unpinned this topic