Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2022 Obs/Disco

NorEastermass128

2 minutes ago, Whineminster said:

They probably didn't have enough people to complete pretreatment.  It's always a tough go/no go with marginal situations.  

Yeah. I don't think people understand how stretched thin some industries are right now. My friend is a paramedic and has been working 16+ hours shifts as they have like no staff. Police and fire departments are experiencing huge issues as well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, A Moonlit Sky said:

There were large staffing shortages at CTDOT prior to omicron--it's even worse with omicron. Crews are dropping like flies.

That would explain it at least on state roads.   Not sure why there were no local crews out putting down salt/mag chloride

3 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

That would explain it at least on state roads.   Not sure why there were no local crews out putting down salt/mag chloride

I don't have insight into the locals, but I suspect it's the same. NYS is dealing with it too and we just saw what happened in VA.

On the plus side--the DOT is usually pretty good. They're no Eversource.

I've been back in Maine for Christmastime. This was a very rare year where there wasn't a grinch storm for Christmas. Instead there was a snow event on Christmas day as well as a few minor events in the preceding week. It does seem very difficult to keep rain at bay for the Christmas to New Year stretch, and sure enough there were some rain events the week after Christmas as well as New Years day. In the meantime, back in AZ the same time period had a very gloomy, chilly and damp stretch which rivaled the typical late May pattern in Maine. The Phoenix area even got down near freezing last weekend.

Today's event has begun as snow with those anomalously large flakes that warn of warming in the upper levels and imply an imminent switch to sleet and freezing rain. Heading back to AZ tomorrow, where the pattern has greatly improved to clear skies with highs in the lower 70s. Someone at the NWS there sounds like springtime powderfreak, focusing on the large diurnal spreads:

`Quiet` best summarizes our weather for the next few days. 12Z
Sounding data from across the west reveals a strong jet streak at
500mb entering OR and N CA. Arizona and SoCal will sit to the
south of this feature, beneath the influence of flat ridging and
surface high pressure. Light boundary layer winds, dry air, and
clear skies are allowing for pretty substantial diurnal
temperature swings - as much as 35 to 40 degrees across rural
deserts.

According to the NBM, the chance of reaching 70F at Sky Harbor
climb from nil on Wednesday to 60% Friday afternoon. However, this
guidance (specifically for PHX) is about 2F too cool as of this
writing, and was biased a bit cool yesterday as well. A little
over-performance won`t surprise me too much the next couple
afternoons. Bottom line, expect to need that jacket in the
mornings, and maybe a pair of shorts by mid-afternoon!

14 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Jan 2019 was pretty impressive. ORH had a high of 1F. Had to go back to 1994 to get that. Even Jan 2004 didn’t beat that. 

I've never seen anything which has topped that Jan 1994 arctic outbreak. We had a solid week of single digit highs in southwest CT at the time, while I believe the Burlington VT area couldn't get above zero for that duration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jv0ovzETWug?&t=84s

14 minutes ago, SJonesWX said:

NH is bad too, 93 is closed in a few spots, traffic on the Everett (right outside my office window) is crawling

as I sit here and watch the traffic go by, most people are going around 25-35. then evry once in a while I see a truck fly by at highway speed. dummies.