Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

6 hours ago, Spartman said:

Interesting tweet from Dr. Simon Lee regarding about a potential Alaskan Ridge around the middle third of this upcoming January:

Ensemble guidance in general suggesting a significantly -WPO, slightly -EPO, and slightly negative/neutral PNA in the LR. AO/NAO look generally neutral. Also seeing a possible southward displacement of TPV over Hudson Bay. That type of pattern should provide more cold air chances for the central and eastern US.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, BristowWx said:

GFS a little better than 6z.  so there's that...I wouldn't get excited or write it off..but that h5 look is more of what you want to see...still not there yet

looks like a race between precip and arctic intrusion.  probably want a slower trailing system, which appears to be the case compared to 6z.  i could see how this could work out to a quick hitting snowstorm for at least parts of the mid-atlantic.

1 minute ago, 87storms said:

looks like a race between precip and arctic intrusion.  probably want a slower trailing system, which appears to be the case compared to 6z.  i could see how this could work out to a quick hitting snowstorm for at least parts of the mid-atlantic.

maybe get that h5 look more negative earlier and further SW and who knows

11 hours ago, Ji said:
12 hours ago, StormchaserChuck! said:
Not liking this 384hr GFS
8a.thumb.gif.a47bb9eb7e78bffe8feb492b79033302.gif
Looks like composite of top 20 years where PNA dominated Dec 1 - Jan 3 rolled forward
1.png.f86ccba48c026af8c7f2232ed2b31db7.png
I have a slight +PNA signal ~Jan 15th>, but February might turn out warmer, especially if that verifies

We just want one event

Hmmm. You say this now, but you won’t be saying that after we get 1 event!  Lol. I seem to remember you weren’t even happy with the winter of 2016! 

1 minute ago, Wonderdog said:

True but it looks like the system has slowed a bit and the ridging out west looks less flat. Maybe a good thing ?

not sure.  I really don't know whats a good thing anymore.  Everything I thought should be good turns out not so good...its befuddling

8 minutes ago, BristowWx said:

not sure.  I really don't know whats a good thing anymore.  Everything I thought should be good turns out not so good...its befuddling

Getting snow with the colder air just coming in is a tough one. Really need a pretty healthy wave but not too amped and ofc timing. Always timing. A realistic 'good' outcome here is probably a few hours of snow on the tail end with a coating to a couple inches. That's probably just my intuitive thoughts on the situation though.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, psuhoffman said:

I fear we’re about to be reminded that a good pacific and awful Atlantic doesn’t usually work for us either. Hope I’m wrong. 

On the bright side the models had been calling for the exact opposite a month ago. (Crappy Pac and great Atl) Who the hell knows anymore? This hobby can be so tiring. 

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

On the bright side the models had been calling for the exact opposite a month ago. (Crappy Pac and great Atl) Who the hell knows anymore? This hobby can be so tiring. 

Yep…no one here knows what is going to happen and no one should be writing off winter on December 28.  All I know is I’d rather take my chances with a good Pacific regardless of what the data suggests supports DC storms (e.g. -AO) - lets roll the dice with something different IMO.

• Like 2

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic