Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January Medium/Long Range Discussion

WinterWxLuvr

3 hours ago, Wonderdog said:

That's all we can ask for. That is quite an incursion of cold air into the U.S. in January. Since it's 10-15 days away, it's hard to trust the models based on their track record. So we wait.

Been reading several items about wanting a Pacific jet extension to help shake up the NPac ridge.  I was thinking wasn't it last year that we were desperately hoping for the jet to retract so we could shake off the Pac puke?  So an extended jet is sometimes good and sometimes bad?  Anyone with more knowledge have any insight?

51 minutes ago, cbmclean said:

Been reading several items about wanting a Pacific jet extension to help shake up the NPac ridge.  I was thinking wasn't it last year that we were desperately hoping for the jet to retract so we could shake off the Pac puke?  So an extended jet is sometimes good and sometimes bad?  Anyone with more knowledge have any insight?

My expert analysis says that whatever we have, we want something else. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 minutes ago, Maestrobjwa said:

Low pressure system with a lot of moisture coming cleanly from the south in a nina...yeah that always works out, lol

Super warm ENSO subsurface water in the west, if it moves east.. 1988 is the only example, Stronger El Nino with negative subsurface waters (opposite correlation) 

9a.png.cc18856636dac9df00207d80e694cbf3.png

I think subsurface dominates lately. 

6 hours ago, cbmclean said:

The positive phase of the PNA is associated with an extension, and/or a poleward shift of the North Pacific jet.

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic