Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

Just now, BrianW said:

The billboard I drive by that has the price listed everyday had $4.24 a gallon this morning. It was like $3.49 a week ago. 

Natural gas prices are up 60% in Europe and that is going to have a huge impact here. I can guarantee we are going to be sending tanker after tanker of LNG to Europe to cut off as much gas from Russia.

The Natural gas futures for the summer in New England are sky high as well. Huge electricity rate increases are almost certain when utilities adjust to summer rates in June. 

That’s it. No more using electricity or heat for the time being. 

17 hours ago, PhineasC said:

I hear that from a lot of people these days. It can strain a marriage for sure.

People bought homes thinking bedrooms and bathrooms not two offices and a conference room. LOL

More so this piece than the marriage strain piece but yeah. 4 beds, 1 full, 2 half and its not enough with us working from home full time.

9 minutes ago, Sugarloaf1989 said:

My downstairs temperature at 60F disagrees with this statement.  Just spent another $400 on hearing oil.

That's why I got a wood stove, remember a few years back prices were high? I think higher than now. I use one 275 gallon tank of oil a year for my hot water and supplementary heat and 4 cords a year I try and cut most of it myself and whatever I'm short I get from my BIL at a cheap price. House is mid 70's all winter.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

That's why I got a wood stove, remember a few years back prices were high? I think higher than now. I use one 275 gallon tank of oil a year for my hot water and supplementary heat and 4 cords a year I try and cut most of it myself and whatever I'm short I get from my BIL at a cheap price. House is mid 70's all winter.

Just had my wood stove installed last fall....perfect timing it seems. I filled my 275 gallon oil tank in October. I have used roughly half the tank so far and about 3 cords of wood. I have supplemented heat in my upstairs with a space heater before bed, especially on the cold days when the sun doesn't really heat up the house. The only electricity that I use is what I have banked from my solar production. I have not had an electric bill since my September bill. I paid $200 per cord, 4 cords total at the beginning of the season, paid $2.42 per gallon for the oil, early in the season....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ineedsnow said:

home heating oil is going for 4.54 a gallon now around here yikes!

I haven't really looked since October and just about shat myself. We are just under a quarter tank and the house is going on the market next month. Woodstove will be going 24/7 now.

35 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

I haven't really looked since October and just about shat myself. We are just under a quarter tank and the house is going on the market next month. Woodstove will be going 24/7 now.

Bite the bullet and fill the tank.  If your potential home buyers enter a cold house and see an empty tank it’s not a good look. You’ll make it up in the long run.

1 minute ago, DavisStraight said:

Not only that the seller gets paid for the oil in the tank, it's figured at closing.

I didn’t realize that-we sold having removed the tank for minisplits last time.  So there’s 0 risk for filling and definitely risk for not.

Built a house a couple of years ago.  We buried 2 - 1,000 gallon propane tanks (which we own) and paid for partial depth spray foam insulation then fiberglass on top of that.  We heat using hydronic radiant heat for whole house - much lower temperatures coming off the boiler which makes it more efficient.  

I can't complain, over the last year we used a little more than 800 gallons of propane and just got a fill up for $2.13 a gallon last week.

My wife did not want to do the spray foam for $4k - she is very happy with it now.  

If you are building a house, it is well worth spending the cash for efficiency upgrades.  Many of the upgrades can't be done after the fact.

52 minutes ago, HIPPYVALLEY said:

Where are you moving to?

Maine, probably the Gray/Lewiston area, got an internship up there. All but the dissertation is done at UMass but the RAs will be collecting that data so we are heading out.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

Bite the bullet and fill the tank.  If your potential home buyers enter a cold house and see an empty tank it’s not a good look. You’ll make it up in the long run.

1 hour ago, DavisStraight said:

Not only that the seller gets paid for the oil in the tank, it's figured at closing.

Oh yea, remember all those closing costs. It's just a personal challenge to me at this point, I have been a bit lazy this year in feeding the wood stove and have gone through more oil than usual. The only time it usually runs is when we are away. The stove can keep the main house 70-72, back room where the stove is usually 76-78. I crank the stove then use the fan of forced air system to pump the heat throughout the house. If I don't then the stove room gets into the 80s. 

@DavisStraight, not sure if you know about them but I had a friend recently come across a 30" Elm Stove. It will be in safe keeping until we find our next long-term house. It is a beauty. 

• Like 1

Oh yea, remember all those closing costs. It's just a personal challenge to me at this point, I have been a bit lazy this year in feeding the wood stove and have gone through more than usual. The only time it usually runs is when we are away. The stove can keep the main house 70-72, back room where the stove is usually 76-78. I crank the stove then use the fan of forced air system to pump the heat throughout the house. If I don't then the stove room gets into the 80s. 
[mention=2474]DavisStraight[/mention], not sure if you know about them but I had a friend recently come across a 30" Elm Stove. It will be in safe keeping until we find our next long-term house. It is a beauty. 
If you move to Lewiston you'll be in Jeff's neighborhood. I'm not too far from there

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Maine, probably the Gray/Lewiston area, got an internship up there. All but the dissertation is done at UMass but the RAs will be collecting that data so we are heading out.

Oh yea, remember all those closing costs. It's just a personal challenge to me at this point, I have been a bit lazy this year in feeding the wood stove and have gone through more oil than usual. The only time it usually runs is when we are away. The stove can keep the main house 70-72, back room where the stove is usually 76-78. I crank the stove then use the fan of forced air system to pump the heat throughout the house. If I don't then the stove room gets into the 80s. 

@DavisStraight, not sure if you know about them but I had a friend recently come across a 30" Elm Stove. It will be in safe keeping until we find our next long-term house. It is a beauty. 

Yes I've seen the Elm, they are beautiful and they throw some serious heat. You'll have to take some pics when you get it installed.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Belchertown will no longer be the best represented location in the subforum :(

• Haha 2

54 minutes ago, radarman said:

Belchertown will no longer be the best represented location in the subforum :(

Was such a good severe spot I'm getting a "Belchertucky 4 life" tattooed across my lower back.

11 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

Jeez...

there's live feed but Ukrainian nuclear power plant is on fire and being attacked on all side. this is scary 

It's insanity. Serious fire fight a little while. Just fire an Iskander in there, what is the worst that could happen?

I still can't believe the Ukrainians took down an SU-34, first time due to enemy fire and that is Russia's top of the line stuff.

• Sad 1

3 hours ago, Spanks45 said:

Just had my wood stove installed last fall....perfect timing it seems. I filled my 275 gallon oil tank in October. I have used roughly half the tank so far and about 3 cords of wood. I have supplemented heat in my upstairs with a space heater before bed, especially on the cold days when the sun doesn't really heat up the house. The only electricity that I use is what I have banked from my solar production. I have not had an electric bill since my September bill. I paid $200 per cord, 4 cords total at the beginning of the season, paid $2.42 per gallon for the oil, early in the season....

Solar is next, what did you get for a wood stove?

2 hours ago, Connecticut Appleman said:

Built a house a couple of years ago.  We buried 2 - 1,000 gallon propane tanks (which we own) and paid for partial depth spray foam insulation then fiberglass on top of that.  We heat using hydronic radiant heat for whole house - much lower temperatures coming off the boiler which makes it more efficient.  

I can't complain, over the last year we used a little more than 800 gallons of propane and just got a fill up for $2.13 a gallon last week.

My wife did not want to do the spray foam for $4k - she is very happy with it now.  

If you are building a house, it is well worth spending the cash for efficiency upgrades.  Many of the upgrades can't be done after the fact.

If I was building a house, I would trade square footage for spray foam, the hydronic in floor heating, a propane powered whole house generator and other efficiency upgrades. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, PowderBeard said:

Was such a good severe spot I'm getting a "Belchertucky 4 life" tattooed across my lower back.

It's insanity. Serious fire fight a little while. Just fire an Iskander in there, what is the worst that could happen?

I still can't believe the Ukrainians took down an SU-34, first time due to enemy fire and that is Russia's top of the line stuff.

I read an article today about the Ukrainian defense industry. Apparently they are pretty advanced and have been supplying the Chinese with weapons for quite a while. 

Edit: here is a link

https://mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKCN2L00VI

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Seems foolish on their part.  Just knock out transmission lines.  Why poison the landscape?

Idiots

Because Putin is a terrorist. We can argue about NATO/EU encroachment on Russia’s bubble but you can’t argue about the tactics. Unfortunately, the longer the Ukrainians hold out, the more likely he is to go full Chechnya on them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, weatherwiz said:

Jeez...

there's live feed but Ukrainian nuclear power plant is on fire and being attacked on all side. this is scary 

Been watching that...THIS is something to watch! If that melts down it'll make chernobyl look like a walk in the park. Very likely much of Europe (and Russia) Will be affected 

We have a buried 500 gallon propane tank in the backyard. Only used for heat.

We on average use half the tank in a winter season… this year will be a bit more. Hard to complains about heating a 2900 square foot house on a little more than 200 gallons of propane.

I always top the tank off in the spring, but I may be rolling the dice this year, and hope prices fall back a little towards the fall. I know if I fill it in the next month I’m going to be lying an arm and a leg 

• Like 1