Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

9 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You are so far gone, your pro donnie maga’s need to sit this one out. 

Your boy thinks Putin is a genius and a peacekeeper, thought he is doing the right thing invading Ukraine lol…oh and the fraud election was rigged conspiracy that lead to fake patriots attacking the capital has been debunked over and over again. Let’s not get into it…

I have started really picking up on patterns that virtually everything is just propaganda, and I am not included in having access to the pie slices of prosperity nor are tons of other people. And while I consider myself quasi conservative in certain ways, I find myself horrified by the general state of affairs on multiple fronts, and if I had the option I would exit the world and head for Greener pastures. That does not mean I am interested in killing myself, it just means I don’t like this place, and I don’t have enough reason to trust the keeper of the universe whoever that is. Seems like a rather volatile place.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

I have started really picking up on patterns that virtually everything is just propaganda, and I am not included in having access to the pie slices of prosperity nor are tons of other people. And while I consider myself quasi conservative in certain ways, I find myself horrified by the general state of affairs on multiple fronts, and if I had the option I would exit the world and head for Greener pastures. That does not mean I am interested in killing myself, it just means I don’t like this place, and I don’t have enough reason to trust the keeper of the universe whoever that is. Seems like a rather volatile place.

Nah. The world/humans have always been barbaric. We just have the technological infrastructure these days to see it practically in real time and…everyone has an opinion as to why it is happening. So it seems like it is getting worse when it is not. We’re just connected more than ever. The world feels smaller so some think the walls are closing in on them lol.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Nah. The world/humans have always been barbaric. We just have the technological infrastructure these days to see it practically in real time and…everyone has an opinion as to why it is happening. So it seems like it is getting worse when it is not. We’re just connected more than ever. The world feels smaller so some think the walls are closing in on them lol.

Yeah this is true...some portions of the earth have been at war for prob 5000 years and probably will be for another 5k.

Also, shoving like 10-15% of some of the strongest ideological portion of the population onto a platform like twitter and lighting a match is always going to make for a clown show that doesn't really reflect reality.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, weathafella said:

I hope I don’t tube this thread but Putin enabling was done by Bush, Obama, Trump, and Biden with that starting to PARTIALLY turn when Putin over estimated his ease of taking Ukraine.

To a degree the old saying" keep your friends close an your enemies closer"   applies. 

40 minutes ago, ORH_wxman said:

Yeah this is true...some portions of the earth have been at war for prob 5000 years and probably will be for another 5k.

Also, shoving like 10-15% of some of the strongest ideological portion of the population onto a platform like twitter and lighting a match is always going to make for a clown show that doesn't really reflect reality.

Yup. Just think if humans had the modern social technology back during any moment in time that we have now. WW2, WW1, American civil war, etc…if we were to apply current tech infrastructure during those times, we’d draw the same conclusions.

We’re a flawed specie so placing the wrong one in a position of strength and power…bad shit happens. Doesn’t matter if it’s 1222 or 2022.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

You are so far gone, your pro donnie maga’s need to sit this one out. 

Your boy thinks Putin is a genius and a peacekeeper, thought he is doing the right thing invading Ukraine lol…oh and the fraud election was rigged conspiracy that lead to fake patriots attacking the capital has been debunked over and over again. Let’s not get into it…

This one is a must read, I’m about a quarter of the way into it. 

1A56F01E-EE1A-4212-8301-ADCB04F6FB38.thumb.jpeg.67c9744fa4b82dc4e49b1488786e29ba.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Lava Rock said:

Just paid 5.19 in northern maine

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Yeah, five dollars is right around the corner all over the northeast.  Rocketing to six dollars is what I would be worried about. Then you would start to see major implications for the economy, goods and services.

This is going to be really bad for people commuting long distances which tend to be folks who couldn’t afford closer in and now spend up to 2 hours each way.   The war in Ukraine would have to end very quickly to change this and the OPECkers have to increase production/particularly Saudi who we have nurtured despite them being an awful regime.  We need to call on some chips including asking oil executives to do their part for the country.

• Like 1

This is going to be really bad for people commuting long distances which tend to be folks who couldn’t afford closer in and now spend up to 2 hours each way.   The war in Ukraine would have to end very quickly to change this and the OPECkers have to increase production/particularly Saudi who we have nurtured despite them being an awful regime.  We need to call on some chips including asking oil executives to do their part for the country.
The fat cats are loving this while the peasants get bent over. Plus we're just coming out of a 2yr pandemic and people barely came up for air and have to be pushed underwater again.

5 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

It depends how much production increases. It's hard to just "turn on" production because it won't be immediate. We need to drill more and that takes some time. It would prob take 6-12 months to see differences. We actually have pretty good production right now as a result of the massive increase in fracking in the last 7-10 years (we tripled our domestic oil production between mid-2000s and 2018). The big drop in oil prices between 2013 and 2015 was much in part due to the big supply increase on the market due to US fracking. We haven't really expanded drilling though in the past 3-5 years. The low crude oil prices post-2014 (until recently) have made new drilling more cost-prohibitive. A lot of rigs that made good money when oil was $75 per barrel in 2014 became harder to make money on when crude oil dropped below $50 per barrel. So many of the oil companies didn't drill new wells when prices went down. They just continued to pump from existing wells drilled in the 2012-2015 period.

You could see market prices drop though if an expected increase in production was signaled. Market forces often respond to expectations in addition to just current supply.

Love your posts on this stuff BTW.  So level headed and matter of fact without getting politically emotional about it.

26 minutes ago, weathafella said:

We have a 35 mile commute for $18 an hour, but it is sedans that get 38 to 40 mpg highway.

I deleted my brief post about who would be best in office in the WH for this situation, but I feel like the military got too picky for who it lets in to our armed forces. Back in the day they would even have people who get in trouble go to the military to get themselves righted. 

5 minutes ago, Lava Rock said:

The fat cats are loving this while the peasants get bent over. Plus we're just coming out of a 2yr pandemic and people barely came up for air and have to be pushed underwater again.

They keep piling it on, shrinking the middle class more and more. While the bottom 90% are fighting each other over political and social issues, that barely move the needle, the top 10% rake in more and more. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

They keep piling it on, shrinking the middle class more and more. While the bottom 90% are fighting each other over political and social issues, that barely move the needle, the top 10% rake in more and more. 

In the early 90’s Donald Barlett and James Steele did an amazing nine part series for the Philadelphia Inquirer about how America was sold out by corporate greed and corrupt politicians.  
This is a good listen, Bill Myers discussing it with them:

https://www.c-span.org/video/?26765-1/america-wrong

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Well not only that, but I kind of feel like technology only makes it more dangerous. It gives the people on top the ability to control, monitor, and persecute people within the lack of privacy of their own homes. 

I get it when you say that as a whole human nature is knarly so things aren’t really getting worse and maybe on a millenial level that is true. But in a mid term sense it is most certainly getting worse especially in this country. The deterioration of the common man’s access to financial well-being has degenerated by an order of magnitude since the early 1980s, and the advances of technology serve to place greater levels of control and surveillance over underdogs than ever before in history. You can’t have a conversation in your house without “them” technically being able to hear it. In the US there are definitely more protections than, say, China, but how long will that last? Humanity seems to gravitate once again toward alpha-male autocracy because that’s what it knows how to do, only this time they have otherworldly technology to invade and spy on the underdogs in a way that never was in the past. That is definitely worse. In the past I have mocked the advent of loss of privacy by saying all kinds of insane things online just to see how people would react, because I was angry about the personal invasion.

Somehow I fear governments of other countries much more than ours in the context of internet espionage, and I have thus exercised restraint of pen and tongue in recent times while discussing other countries online.

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

The oil and gas industry has drastically cut capex and underinvested since 2014, in part owing to the rise of ESG funds making raising capital more difficult. On top of that, you have various political entities that have been trying to make it literally illegal for banks to lend to oil/gas producers. Add in more recent restrictions on new exploration leases and pipelines. Why wouldn’t oil execs just buy back their shares? This is not going to be an easy or quick fix (unless the economy collapses and takes oil with it). 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ORH_wxman said:

Back in 2008, it was around 4-4.25 a gallon when it was noticeable in behavior changes, so probably something similar this time too except maybe a little more to account for inflation of income/wages since 2008. I'd guess when the national average hits 4.50-5.00, you'll start seeing changes. They are more visible in the summer when people travel than they would be in the spring.

Interesting $5 a gallon could literally be days away here 

1 hour ago, weathafella said:

I said this earlier. People who can afford it the least are going to get bent over the hardest.

And I think it’s already really bad, gas is 4,35 a gallon near me 

23 minutes ago, IowaStorm05 said:

Well not only that, but I kind of feel like technology only makes it more dangerous. It gives the people on top the ability to control, monitor, and persecute people within the lack of privacy of their own homes. 

I get it when you say that as a whole human nature is knarly so things aren’t really getting worse and maybe on a millenial level that is true. But in a mid term sense it is most certainly getting worse especially in this country. The deterioration of the common man’s access to financial well-being has degenerated by an order of magnitude since the early 1980s, and the advances of technology serve to place greater levels of control and surveillance over underdogs than ever before in history. You can’t have a conversation in your house without “them” technically being able to hear it. In the US there are definitely more protections than, say, China, but how long will that last? Humanity seems to gravitate once again toward alpha-male autocracy because that’s what it knows how to do, only this time they have otherworldly technology to invade and spy on the underdogs in a way that never was in the past. That is definitely worse. In the past I have mocked the advent of loss of privacy by saying all kinds of insane things online just to see how people would react, because I was angry about the personal invasion.

Somehow I fear governments of other countries much more than ours in the context of internet espionage, and I have thus exercised restraint of pen and tongue in recent times while discussing other countries online.

Don’t get blinded by govt watchdogs though while the private sector is collecting your data this very second. 

14 minutes ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

Don’t get blinded by govt watchdogs though while the private sector is collecting your data this very second. 

It doesn’t matter how you slice it or what propaganda you’ve run across, I think the collective acceptance of the normalcy of lifting the privacy of everybody and connecting merely peoples minds and speech to a conduit where it can be mined is just pure evil. You could perhaps say well it helps when a woman poisons her husband and claims it’s a suicide, but usually things like that with actually dangerous people can be dealt with just fine without invasions of privacy. It can be used to abusive ends, and destroy peoples lives who without the advent of technology would be perfectly fine and function in society itself just fine. I don’t stand for that.