joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

15 minutes ago, Ginx snewx said:

Where does gas come from?

Great article explaining it. 

Why Is New England Paying The Equivalent Of $180 Oil For Natural Gas?

The gas that lands in Boston has historically been sourced from fields in Trinidad & Tobago, Norway, and Russia.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/christopherhelman/2022/02/01/why-is-new-england-paying-the-equivalent-of-180-oil-for-natural-gas/

2 hours ago, RUNNAWAYICEBERG said:

I wasn’t referring to the electric grid but ok bud since you asked. Less than 2% is from oil. 

Without looking, I think the proportion is higher in New England, especially in Maine.  Switching from fossil fuels has the obvious catch -22, encouraging heat pumps and EVs while shutting down fossil-fueled generating facilities.  The solutions are apt to be lengthy and expensive at first, though prices should become more reasonable as green power is a bigger share of the grid.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Not oil    Coal (yuck), natural gas, nuclear are the big 3

Plenty of wind and solar potential out there so, plus a sprinkling of other techs (olive pits, etc)

You can track the real time fuels and prices at ISO New Englands website.

https://www.iso-ne.com/

Oil is still used on extremely cold days and hot high demand days in the summer. There are oil fired peaker power plants  that sit idle most of the year and will turn on when the price of wholesale electricity goes sky high. During a cold snap I did the math and the New Haven oil plant was getting like 20x the normal wholesale power rate. The plant was making a few million in one day at those rates. 

1 minute ago, Ginx snewx said:

Not on my 2022 Bingo card but can't wait to see @weatherwizreaction when one parachutes on him.

https://www.axios.com/local/washington-dc/2022/03/09/giant-joro-spiders-east-coast-may

I am barricading myself inside. I don't know why they have to come during the middle of severe weather season. How am I supposed to chase with spiders falling out of the sky? 

3 hours ago, tamarack said:

I'd recommend doing this carefully, with a sunset provision perhaps tied to prices drop below a set threshold.  Roads/bridge are bad enough now and an extended spell of drying up their finances won't help.  Also, the sunset provision would eliminate the need to vote for a tax hike, with its political fallout.

Totally different subject:  Came thru my ablation process quite well yesterday.  The Electrophysiologist (a discipline I'd never heard of before last October) spent 25 minutes treating over 130 separate rogue impulse sites in pulmonary veins during the 4-hours it took for anesthesia/insertion of tools into femoral veins and up to-through the heart/ablation/removal and cleanup, followed by 3-4 hours on my back in recovery and then another 2 hours stopping the skin-layer capillary bleeds.  In Hospital at 6:15 AM, out at 6:30 PM, totally professional job all around.  :D  My throat is scratchy thanks to the tube and my chest is sore - things were done inside there - especially if I take a deep breath.  A week of no lifting more than 10 lb and other sensible cautions.

Get well Tom!  We old NNJ weenies stay united!

• Like 1

I don’t know exactly what they are going to do, but the idea of regulating cryptocurrency seems like a good idea at this point.

I think it has ventured into scammy and scandalous waters and one which wears a suit and tie. The concept seems convincing enough but the thing about it is, who is using it to buy everyday stuff? Nobody? 

All it has been is this thing that thrashes about left and right while people put in and pull out erratically. People lose and gain left and right going in and out of the pot. You just have so many of them popping up, each with a cutie celebrity face promoting them, some of which have silly names even. I am not qualified to take direct jabs at any specific one but I can rightfully say it sketches me out.

3 hours ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

It’s absolutely maddening that when crude rises, prices at the pump rise the same day… when it drops like today, no movement.

Guess they are only in a hurry to raise prices, not drop them 

Theoretically it’s when they get their delivery but when prices are rising they don’t wait it seems.

16 hours ago, Lava Rock said:

More good stuff in Allagash. 20220309_104132.jpg20220309_093337.jpgScreenshot_20220308-155106_Maps.jpg

Sent from my SM-G981U1 using Tapatalk

Lots of memories in that first pic.  My first Maine deer, a mini-basket 8-pointer, was dragged (uphill 1/2 mile) to the Hafey Road in 1976.  it was the stockiest, short-bodied critter I've taken, weighed 175 after hanging a week.  Brought several other to that road before finding the real honey-hole in the Big Brook country.

• Like 2