Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Met Winter 2021 - 2022 Banter

HoarfrostHubb

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thank you, everyone.

He was on the long path of recovery, but today things just took a turn and that was it. All in a few hours. Even though I’ll never be able to show him the pictures of that peaceful white landscape on Christmas Eve and Christmas, it brings me a measure of comfort to know that everything came full circle—some of my first memories with him involve our mutual excitement for snow, and his final holiday with us was just snowy enough.

I share that, because I know you all understand. 

Keep us in your prayers. 

Very sorry to hear Don. My deepest condolences.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, WxWatcher007 said:

Thank you, everyone.

He was on the long path of recovery, but today things just took a turn and that was it. All in a few hours. Even though I’ll never be able to show him the pictures of that peaceful white landscape on Christmas Eve and Christmas, it brings me a measure of comfort to know that everything came full circle—some of my first memories with him involve our mutual excitement for snow, and his final holiday with us was just snowy enough.

I share that, because I know you all understand. 

Keep us in your prayers. 

Brought tears. You are a great man Don I am sure he is very proud.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, UnitedWx said:

LOL...well, I have two beetles both 1975s a 77 camper and an 83 Vanagon Diesel. I restored that green one in  my garage including paint.  Its gone to shows 300 miles from home no problem!

Learned to drive a standard on a 1957 VW Beetle, Back then they had a gasoline heater in it, Those didn't last long as they would catch fire but the defrost/heat were never real good in them.

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, dryslot said:

Learned to drive a standard on a 1957 VW Beetle, Back then they had a gasoline heater in it, Those didn't last long as they would catch fire but the defrost/heat were never real good in them.

I/We had several Beetles, 62, 65 and 71.  The heaters never worked well, as that little engine in the rear couldn't generate enough heat to do much up front, though the first 2 had the heat stuck wide open and would blow plenty in the summer.

• Haha 2

13 minutes ago, tamarack said:

I/We had several Beetles, 62, 65 and 71.  The heaters never worked well, as that little engine in the rear couldn't generate enough heat to do much up front, though the first 2 had the heat stuck wide open and would blow plenty in the summer.

The heat ducting was all metal and use to rust out so you ended up heating the outside air......lol

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Here's a weird one, must have seen 10 Dead Squirrels on the way to work this morning. And many live ones. Taking advantage of the warm weather?

Same around here,  lots of squirrels, lots of road kill. 
On another note, my neighborhood is developing a healthy population of black squirrels the past two years.  Greenfield and Cambridge are the only two places I’ve ever really seen them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

My parents had Beetles and microbuses when I was growing up in the 1970s.   They had quirks for sure

Yes, Buddy of mine family use to have the 1960 VW bus and his parents would take us to our boy scout meetings in it, Lot of cold rides in the winter.

5075gn.jpg

• Like 2

1 minute ago, dryslot said:

Yes, Buddy of mine family use to have the 1960 VW bus and his parents would take us to our boy scout meetings in it, Lot of cold rides in the winter.

http://www.toywonders.com/productcart/pc/catalog/5075gn.jpg

Their final one was a 1975 bus in orange and white livery.  We were going to church and there was an issue with the fuel injector.  It squirted onto part of the (faulty) exhaust system and started a fire.    We got out unscathed but the bus was done.  

They had a couple of Rabbits later but that was it for their VW period   

I remember trying to drive the bus with the super tall gear shift and crappy clutch. That was an adventure 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Their final one was a 1975 bus in orange and white livery.  We were going to church and there was an issue with the fuel injector.  It squirted onto part of the (faulty) exhaust system and started a fire.    We got out unscathed but the bus was done.  

They had a couple of Rabbits later but that was it for their VW period   

I remember trying to drive the bus with the super tall gear shift and crappy clutch. That was an adventure 

The interior was pretty basic, That long shifter though ha ha, Just had to jam into gears.

13 minutes ago, dryslot said:

The interior was pretty basic, That long shifter though ha ha, Just had to jam into gears.

We used to go camping with the bus towing a Coleman pop up trailer    I had a big family and we would load up that van with all of our stuff and head to Maine or the Cape or wherever.  How the 88hp engine could move all that is beyond me

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, dryslot said:

Nice! Yeah, my 77 Westfalia still has the gas heater. Its next in line for resto. My 83 van has a factory auxiliary diesel heater. I'll heat the interior from 30° to about 70° in a few minutes!

20190907_161005.jpg

• Like 3

What until everyone gets their new electric bills next month. Electric rates are going way up for just about everyone in New England starting tomorrow. I saw Unitil in New Hampshire is raising rates 60%. I believe Eversource in Mass is going up 32%. 

CT bills are going up 21% and this price is locked in until the Jun adjustment. 

The electric bills of Eversource residential customers will see average standard offer service supply charges increase by $31 per month, or 21 percent, starting in January, according to Mitch Gross, an Eversource spokesperson. Gross said the figure is based on a customer who uses 700 kilowatts per month.

I have been on Solar for over 5 years. My panels have reached their ROI.  Anyone with good sun exposure in New England should do it with our rates. All the states have crazy incentives that make the payback period 5-7 years. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, PhineasC said:

Ate at Red Parka Pub tonight. The quality at these places has declined a little. They are still good but it seems they can’t get good help in the kitchen and there are supply issues. 

There was a great article on the overall economy/service industry I had read that was showing another form of inflation is folks are charged the same prices but the service everywhere has declined across the board.  Your money doesn’t buy the experience it used to.  It’s not counted in inflation calculations but it’s there.  Even 4-5 star hotels won’t give you daily housekeeping anymore…just don’t have the staff but they charge the same.

929A36D4-0818-4ACD-A705-EC9D4603B234.jpeg.298faf9020cd82a500dff2687bd225d1.jpeg

29 minutes ago, BrianW said:

What until everyone gets their new electric bills next month. Electric rates are going way up for just about everyone in New England starting tomorrow. I saw Unitil in New Hampshire is raising rates 60%. I believe Eversource in Mass is going up 32%. 

The electric bills of Eversource residential customers will see average standard offer service supply charges increase by $31 per month, or 21 percent, starting in January, according to Mitch Gross, an Eversource spokesperson. Gross said the figure is based on a customer who uses 700 kilowatts per month.

I have been on Solar for over 5 years. My panels have reached their ROI.  Anyone with good sun exposure in New England should do it with our rates. All the states have crazy incentives that make the payback period 5-7 years. 

Hopefully having a municipal power company blunts this, but awesome, an increase somewhere else…

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BrianW said:

I haven't had an electric bill in the past 3 months, except for the connection fee which ended up being less than $2 last month thanks to Isias. My panels/roof/gutters are set to be paid off in 9ish years if I choose to pay the minimum monthly payment. I snagged a 10 year loan for all three for 0.99% through a green energy credit union. I had almost 500 kwh banked as of last month, since the bank resets March 1st, I started running space heaters to warm up the bedrooms before the kids go to bed. Between my new wood stove and the sporadic space heater usage, plus warm winter so far I have used less than 1/8 of a tank of oil....

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

There was a great article on the overall economy/service industry I had read that was showing another form of inflation is folks are charged the same prices but the service everywhere has declined across the board.  Your money doesn’t buy the experience it used to.  It’s not counted in inflation calculations but it’s there.  Even 4-5 star hotels won’t give you daily housekeeping anymore…just don’t have the staff but they charge the same.

929A36D4-0818-4ACD-A705-EC9D4603B234.jpeg.298faf9020cd82a500dff2687bd225d1.jpeg

Every supermarket in W MA has help wanted signs up for multiple departments. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Spanks45 said:

I haven't had an electric bill in the past 3 months, except for the connection fee which ended up being less than $2 last month thanks to Isias. My panels/roof/gutters are set to be paid off in 9ish years if I choose to pay the minimum monthly payment. I snagged a 10 year loan for all three for 0.99% through a green energy credit union. I had almost 500 kwh banked as of last month, since the bank resets March 1st, I started running space heaters to warm up the bedrooms before the kids go to bed. Between my new wood stove and the sporadic space heater usage, plus warm winter so far I have used less than 1/8 of a tank of oil....

Im  ready to pull the trigger, had a new roof put on this year so it's good to go, my wife is not so sure about doing it even after all the research I've given her but I think she'll relent soon.

• Like 1