Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2021

George BM

1 minute ago, NorthArlington101 said:

I'll back up: I very likely overreacted in this case. Genuine apologies, intent is obviously tough to measure online and with never having met you guys IRL (or over Zoom) we are all still mostly just names and profile pictures on a message board.

I'm just sensitive to the issue of driving passionate posters off the board, especially when they are young and wanting to learn and when we have lost great posters over the years. Again, as someone who has been in the spot of being young and nervous not too long ago, you guys have more power and sway when you think you do. Those brave enough to try and contribute should generally be rewarded unless their behavior is in bad faith. When the (sometimes deserved) criticism comes down, just be mindful that it can be taken to heart. That's the reason I care and I don't see it as for no reason, though that thread isn't the place and that was probably not the time.

All good. I do appreciate you looking out for our younger, newer members. 

We all kid and joke here, so I sincerely hope no one feels as if we are driving posters away. That's not cool and no one should be doing that. 

I know a couple people made jokes about the thread being started Saturday, but they are just jokes and should not be taken to heart and as serious things. We take our superstitions very seriously around here :lol: but again they are all in fun. 

Just maybe don't accuse people of piling on a kid when that wasn't the case. Those you call out will be quick to defend themselves, and then we've got tension and all that to deal with. :) 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, mappy said:

All good. I do appreciate you looking out for our younger, newer members. 

We all kid and joke here, so I sincerely hope no one feels as if we are driving posters away. That's not cool and no one should be doing that. 

I know a couple people made jokes about the thread being started Saturday, but they are just jokes and should not be taken to heart and as serious things. We take our superstitions very seriously around here :lol: but again they are all in fun. 

Just maybe don't accuse people of piling on a kid when that wasn't the case. Those you call out will be quick to defend themselves, and then we've got tension and all that to deal with. :) 

Tension is watching LJ try to make a simple 2 yard pass to win a game, one that you know he probably won't make :weep:. Everything else is secondary. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, ravensrule said:

Tension is watching LJ try to make a simple 2 yard pass to win a game, one that you know he probably won't make :weep:. Everything else is secondary. 

Ha, you assume I watch them play to know what you're talking about :lol: 

• Haha 2

Not that it matters for the tiny event I murdered for tomorrow, but when the moving truck pulled out from former abode with me and the pup heading out at the same time it was 42 and when I arrived at my new home in monkton it was 37. That temp difference is absolutely one of the things I was happy to move for - really looking forward to not having to sweat temps as much up here in the marginal events (which , really, is every event anymore). 

• Like 6

32 minutes ago, North Balti Zen said:

Not that it matters for the tiny event I murdered for tomorrow, but when the moving truck pulled out from former abode with me and the pup heading out at the same time it was 42 and when I arrived at my new home in monkton it was 37. That temp difference is absolutely one of the things I was happy to move for - really looking forward to not having to sweat temps as much up here in the marginal events (which , really, is every event anymore). 

Its gonna pay off in spades, that is, spadefuls of fluffy snow lol!

24 minutes ago, mattie g said:

How far below normal snowfall are places in northern New England and the lake effect zones? Seems like it would be quite a bit below normal - even by now. 

Saw a tweet earlier this week. Every major station east of the MS river (and probably most west of it too) is BN on snowfall. Lake effect zones aren’t too far behind yet I think. I believe Buffalo and Syracuse were like 5-6” behind. Erie was 10” or so.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WxUSAF said:

Saw a tweet earlier this week. Every major station east of the MS river (and probably most west of it too) is BN on snowfall. Lake effect zones aren’t too far behind yet I think. I believe Buffalo and Syracuse were like 5-6” behind. Erie was 10” or so.

Makes sense. I'm guessing those lake effect areas would normally start piling up as we get into mid-December as cold air plows out of Canada and over the warm lakes.

1 hour ago, mattie g said:

How far below normal snowfall are places in northern New England and the lake effect zones? Seems like it would be quite a bit below normal - even by now. 

I average about 16 inches in November and had 13 or so. 17 inches thru todays date including 2 so far today. Not terribly off track but with the warmth in the middle of the month the back half of December will need to slay to hit my average of 30”+ for the month. Bigger story is lack of pack. Average pack now is about 10-12”. We can’t hold snow here long at all right now. It snows and then it warms up and rains. 

So…my new house is an old farmhouse really - and it has by-god old fashioned cellar doors on the outside like I am on the plains. I am 100% if we ever have a tornado warning gonna have to skip the inside basement entrance to exit the house and dramatically throw them open and descend pulling them shut behind me as the tornado approaches. I’ve seen Twister and the wizard of Oz. Done and done.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, North Balti Zen said:

So…my new house is an old farmhouse really - and it has by-god old fashioned cellar doors on the outside like I am on the plains. I am 100% if we ever have a tornado warning gonna have to skip the inside basement entrance to exit the house and dramatically throw them open and descend pulling them shut behind me as the tornado approaches. I’ve seen Twister and the wizard of Oz. Done and done.

I’ve thought about putting fake cellar doors on my house because they’re so cool.

• Like 1

Up in PA for a couple of days to get away from home.  Longwood Christmas is amazing.

I’ve been in this area coming up on two decades and realized that this was the first time that I didn’t use the 95 or 270 corridors to travel north through Maryland.  Going up 695 to 83 I saw signs for all of the places I only hear about because of this forum!

And the typical MD story, I was on 695 coming up on a work van that had the “this vehicle travels the speed limit” sticker.  It was going ~17 over, which I thought was about right for MD speed limits.

• Like 4
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, StormchaserChuck! said:

December is interesting in the satelite data, first non -PNA year was 1959. , 11 year later. 1995 Dec 1995 was the biggest +PNA. Not a lot of matches with consistency or what we know as ENSO. 

My Winter-thread post is lingering, I wonder if Im connected the same as everyone? Probably not.

Gotta admit, Chuck…and this is not meant in disrespect, but this is one of your most incomprehensible posts I’ve read yet.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

We wish we could have this here...

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Sacramento CA
138 PM PST Thu Dec 9 2021

...Winter Storm to Bring Heavy Snow to the Mountains...

.A strong winter storm will bring heavy snow to the mountains of
northern California. Snow will first arrive to northwestern Shasta
county late Saturday, spreading southeast into the southern
Cascades and northern Sierra Saturday night or Sunday morning.
Snow levels will gradually lower over time through late Monday
and Tuesday. Expect major accumulations at pass level with several
feet or more of snow. Anticipate significant travel delays with
extremely difficult to impossible travel over the mountains.
Strong winds will further reduce visibilities during this event
with white-out conditions.

CAZ014-068-069-101400-
/O.NEW.KSTO.WS.A.0010.211212T0600Z-211215T0600Z/
Burney Basin / Eastern Shasta County-
Western Plumas County/Lassen Park-
West Slope Northern Sierra Nevada-
Including the city of Burney
138 PM PST Thu Dec 9 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM SATURDAY EVENING THROUGH
TUESDAY EVENING...

* WHAT...Heavy snow with very difficult to impossible travel
  conditions. Damage to trees and power lines is possible. Snow
  accumulations of 2 to 5 feet. Higher amounts of 6 to 9 feet
  possible above 6000 ft.

* WHERE...Western Plumas County/Lassen Park and West Slope
  Northern Sierra Nevada including Interstate 80 over Donner Pass,
  Highway 50 over Echo Summit and Highway 88 over Carson Pass.

* WHEN...From Saturday evening through Tuesday evening.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Significant reductions in visibility are
  possible with strong winds.

13 hours ago, MN Transplant said:

Up in PA for a couple of days to get away from home.  Longwood Christmas is amazing.

I’ve been in this area coming up on two decades and realized that this was the first time that I didn’t use the 95 or 270 corridors to travel north through Maryland.  Going up 695 to 83 I saw signs for all of the places I only hear about because of this forum!

And the typical MD story, I was on 695 coming up on a work van that had the “this vehicle travels the speed limit” sticker.  It was going ~17 over, which I thought was about right for MD speed limits.

It's the best!

Mini-map turns 9 a couple days before Christmas, so we are planning on surprising her with a trip to Longwood the evening of her birthday to look at the lights. I cannot wait to see her reaction to all the lights! Mr. Map and I went there years ago for one of our wedding anniversaries, and it was so lovely. :D 

And I hope you waved to the Parkton sign on 83 ;) 

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic