Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December Banter 2021

George BM

From the Fearless Forecast on White Grass's home page:

"While all-time records are never open-court slam dunks, our 3.0 inch lowest Canaan Valley 78-year record December snowfall record is truly in jeopardy of being broken this year.  I anticipate very little if any more snow between now and when the books close for this month in 5 days on December 31."

I guess I should have expected this when what I wanted for XMAS was a post-holiday trip to the Valley.  Hopefully, "my" jinx ends before my planned XC skiing trip to upstate New York over MLK. 

I have the Laurentian mountains in mind for next winter ... 

Conditions will be wonderful today at the Center; trails 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, Montée St-Hilaire, 11, 12, 13, 14 North, 31, loops 36-24 and Pont Georges and 25 will be available and groomed for both classic and skating. 5 Fat Bike run and 2 snowshoe paths will also be open. 

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, nw baltimore wx said:

After a busy couple of days visiting family, it’s a perfect day for sitting around the house with a fire, Christmas carols playing quietly, and enjoying the season.

image.jpeg.d86e375e4e8a8d9b8160c15f6bac1cd5.jpeg

Nice train setup w the tree. My dad has always had a thing for trains. About 15 years ago he really got into it and built a platform in his basement that’s approx 10’ x 15’ with two separate tracks running O scale MTH trains. Even had to build a separate stand for the control box that runs the thing. Now it mostly sits idle except for the holidays when folks are over.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, dallen7908 said:
From the Fearless Forecast on White Grass's home page:

"While all-time records are never open-court slam dunks, our 3.0 inch lowest Canaan Valley 78-year record December snowfall record is truly in jeopardy of being broken this year.  I anticipate very little if any more snow between now and when the books close for this month in 5 days on December 31."

I guess I should have expected this when what I wanted for XMAS was a post-holiday trip to the Valley.  Hopefully, "my" jinx ends before my planned XC skiing trip to upstate New York over MLK. 

I have the Laurentian mountains in mind for next winter ... 

Conditions will be wonderful today at the Center; trails 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 37, Montée St-Hilaire, 11, 12, 13, 14 North, 31, loops 36-24 and Pont Georges and 25 will be available and groomed for both classic and skating. 5 Fat Bike run and 2 snowshoe paths will also be open. 

Yeah, it’s sucky right now. Places like Canaan rely so much on that upslope. I could see them salvaging the second half of winter but without extended cold it’s going to be tough. Get the feel that this yr is shaping up to be a NNE only winter for the east coast crew. 

13 minutes ago, H2O said:

IDGAF at this point. I’ll drive NSEW to see snow. I’ll drive into the ocean to see snow

Avg annual snowfall must be higher a couple hundred miles east of me. Baroclinic zone is foo far offshore during much of winter. Fish snow. Ji was wrong about me living in the ocean, but I probably should.

• Like 1

I swear Wunderground used to allow me to look up past dates and see the radar images. Can't seem to do it anymore. 

I'm trying to get the radar from January 26th, 2011. I'm shocked with how advanced technology is nowadays that there's not easy to find access to historical radar. If anyone knows if there's anywhere I can find that, I'd be very appreciative. 

1 hour ago, Steve25 said:

I swear Wunderground used to allow me to look up past dates and see the radar images. Can't seem to do it anymore. 

I'm trying to get the radar from January 26th, 2011. I'm shocked with how advanced technology is nowadays that there's not easy to find access to historical radar. If anyone knows if there's anywhere I can find that, I'd be very appreciative. 

https://weather.us/radar-us/maryland/reflectivity/KLWX_20110126-234025z.html

40 minutes ago, Stormfly said:

WU site has become as much of a dumping ground as this winter has thus far. ;)

It is awful what happened to that site.

• Thanks 1

So, some of you have know about what happened to my wife from Twitter, but I never posted here since I've been crazy busy. My wife came down with an acute hand infection that ended up tunneling 3-4" along the side of her right hand. It was so bad, she was admitted to the hospital and ended up staying for three nights. They pumped her with antibiotics and had to do surgery to remove an abscess that grew near the infection site. Well, turned out it was an aggressive form of staph, and she was put on a strong antibiotic that through sensitivity tests determined it was what would knock out the infection for good. Considering my wife's health history with her heart, I was pretty worried to say the least, but she's well on the mend and doing considerably better. She will make a full recovery and I've helped her all through the process, all while returning to work the day after she finally came home. This all happened a few weekends ago, so she's been on the healing trend for a while now. 

To celebrate, we are embarking on a trip to Taos, NM where a beautiful ski town awaits to take in the beauty of Northeast NM. A forecast of at least 4-8" of fresh snow is currently progged at Taos Ski Resort when we head up for New Years Eve and Day, and really judging by guidance, could very well go higher than that thanks to upslope. Needless to say, it'll be a beautiful way to ring in the New Year and to celebrate health and love. We are looking forward to a bit of unplugging and enjoying nature and company. Will try to pop in with pictures when I can :snowing:

• Like 19

18 minutes ago, nj2va said:

Geez, that sounds scary for you and your wife to go through but I’m happy to hear everything is ok now. And sounds like a great way to disconnect and relax. I hope y’all have a great trip and safe travels. Enjoy the snow!

Thank you. It was one of the scariest moments I've ever personally been affected by. Modern medicine is a marvel, I can tell you that much. I'm happy I get to spend New Years in a beautiful place like that with her. Always wanted to do something like this and thought this was a time to do it. 

• Like 6

Thoughts and good tidings to @MillvilleWx for the holiday season. Glad to hear that your wife is on the mend. Staph is scary stuff. And hoping the trip to Taos brings buckets of snow.

Meanwhile, here I’m reduced to whiskey, Irish Christmas music, and a YouTube channel playing a snowy scene. Still, life is good…

image.jpeg.ec33453f4d3ed6e1ccfb1a63788626ac.jpeg

• Like 6

4 minutes ago, nw baltimore wx said:

Thoughts and good tidings to @MillvilleWx for the holiday season. Glad to hear that your wife is on the mend. Staph is scary stuff. And hoping the trip to Taos brings buckets of snow.

Meanwhile, here I’m reduced to whiskey, Irish Christmas music, and a YouTube channel playing a snowy scene. Still, life is good…

image.jpeg.ec33453f4d3ed6e1ccfb1a63788626ac.jpeg

Thanks! Staph is really scary. Never believed how much damage it can do to you until I saw what it did to my wife's hand. Crazy what is out there. Have a glass of the good stuff for me, will ya? :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, MillvilleWx said:

So, some of you have know about what happened to my wife from Twitter, but I never posted here since I've been crazy busy. My wife came down with an acute hand infection that ended up tunneling 3-4" along the side of her right hand. It was so bad, she was admitted to the hospital and ended up staying for three nights. They pumped her with antibiotics and had to do surgery to remove an abscess that grew near the infection site. Well, turned out it was an aggressive form of staph, and she was put on a strong antibiotic that through sensitivity tests determined it was what would knock out the infection for good. Considering my wife's health history with her heart, I was pretty worried to say the least, but she's well on the mend and doing considerably better. She will make a full recovery and I've helped her all through the process, all while returning to work the day after she finally came home. This all happened a few weekends ago, so she's been on the healing trend for a while now. 

To celebrate, we are embarking on a trip to Taos, NM where a beautiful ski town awaits to take in the beauty of Northeast NM. A forecast of at least 4-8" of fresh snow is currently progged at Taos Ski Resort when we head up for New Years Eve and Day, and really judging by guidance, could very well go higher than that thanks to upslope. Needless to say, it'll be a beautiful way to ring in the New Year and to celebrate health and love. We are looking forward to a bit of unplugging and enjoying nature and company. Will try to pop in with pictures when I can :snowing:

Hey, @MillvilleWx, Just wanted to drop a note that I am glad your wife is healing well, and I hope you have a very blessed trip to Taos! I love the articulation in your writing/typing. You do such a great job at communicating!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Hey, @MillvilleWx, Just wanted to drop a note that I am glad your wife is healing well, and I hope you have a very blessed trip to Taos! I love the articulation in your writing/typing. You do such a great job at communicating!

Thanks Matt! I try to write things in a semi-technical format that is both scientifically and layman's terms appropriate. I know this is a good forum to let the nerd come out, so I'll try my best to make it sound cohesive lol

Appreciate the kind words and well wishes on behalf of my wife. It means a lot from everyone ^_^ 

• Like 1

What I find most fascinating about this community is watching the evolution of the site. When I first joined the group in 2003 it was a bunch of nerds hoping and wishing for snow and making fun of each other and a handful of experts (actual experts) giving analysis. Today it has morphed into a handful of intuitive posters basically ripping and reading each model run that generally makes them look like flopping fish out of water. I say the site gets renamed "The intuition and gutwx" 

For the record there are some very knowledgeable posters and they definitely know what they are looking at for any particular model run but for our region if you say it's not going to snow or it's hard for it to snow or so many things have to go right for it to snow are you really saying anything? You might as well just be that dude with the two letter name and say winters over 15 times a day until his diaper gets changed.

Good luck all...I hope it snows...my intuition says it won't though. :hurrbear:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

What I find most fascinating about this community is watching the evolution of the site. When I first joined the group in 2003 it was a bunch of nerds hoping and wishing for snow and making fun of each other and a handful of experts (actual experts) giving analysis. Today it has morphed into a handful of intuitive posters basically ripping and reading each model run that generally makes them look like flopping fish out of water. I say the site gets renamed "The intuition and gutwx" 

For the record there are some very knowledgeable posters and they definitely know what they are looking at for any particular model run but for our region if you say it's not going to snow or it's hard for it to snow or so many things have to go right for it to snow are you really saying anything? You might as well just be that dude with the two letter name and say winters over 15 times a day until his diaper gets changed.

I agree 100%.

It is not going to snow today. Call it intuition.

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, leesburg 04 said:

I don’t know why, but it does appear this sub forum has lost a good number of very good posters in recent years. Perhaps it’s because we’ve been stuck with sucky winters in recent years. I read the New England sub and they def appear to have far more good posters contributing. I’ll duck and see myself out now :)

• WxUSAF unpinned this topic