• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
December 2021 Obs/Disco...Dreaming of a White-Weenie Xmas

40/70 Benchmark

I've been feeling that 22nd system for a couple of days now...was just waiting to see some model truth of it coming west with the southern stream system. It just has that feel of something that "wants" to phase sooner. You can see the surface isobars kinking back toward the northern stream almost south of NYC. It almost seems like the models have an event horizon with these things...get 2 shortwaves that are strong enough, close enough, and then they develop a sooner attraction.

We'll see.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, Typhoon Tip said:

Heh... 'cept, I don't really feel it's me doing the twisting?

I feel more like an investigative reporter, ...disseminating ironies just comes from honest observation.  

The models are - figuratively of course ... - going out of their way to find a tribe in east Africa and then taking their sandwiches - ..ah, we'd be the tribe in that metaphor.

Hey, I just spent 3 weeks with a tribe from east Africa, and the sandwiches tasted a hell of a lot better than the early portion of this winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, dendrite said:

I've been feeling that 22nd system for a couple of days now...was just waiting to see some model truth of it coming west with the southern stream system. It just has that feel of something that "wants" to phase sooner. You can see the surface isobars kinking back toward the northern stream almost south of NYC. It almost seems like the models have an event horizon with these things...get 2 shortwaves that are strong enough, close enough, and then they develop a sooner attraction.

We'll see.

I have been looking at the Ensembles on this one the last few days too,  You can see the kinks back west at the surface with a few members moving in that direction.

gefs_mslp_lows_conus_54.png

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, weatherwiz said:

This system actually has a pretty well defined inverted trough feature. Not just defined at the sfc either but pretty stout well through the llvls. Also looks like there may be multiple llvl convergence zones at play here. northern tip of Maine where nobody lives may do well. 

Hey..that’s where I sled lol.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, dendrite said:

We'll see.

Congrats and enjoy 

44 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

I assume the fast Pacific flow is involved with this rapid movement and inability to slow down and fully develop?

Pacific flow ... or which ever, yup -

I just prefer to refer to it overall as a 'gradient rich' environment.   By gradient, we mean the height contours on the weather map.  When you see more of them, the ambient wind velocity - to wit, waves in the atmosphere move embedded in that field - increases in direct proportion. 

This is a circumstance - as an aside - that has been a repeating theme in winters over our continent, with increasing frequency observed since the early 2000's. This has happened regardless of ENSO this, or PDO that, or polar index multi-decadal indicators.  Prooooobably related to the 'hocky-stick,' non-linear climate change.

• Like 2