Total Members
    Most Online
    Bluewater Performance
    Newest Member
    Bluewater Performance

Spring Banter

13 minutes ago, CoastalWx said:

Just hold tight. It will burst.

Always done, funny talking to realtors and other people in the business think it's not going to, it's just going to level off, I've been doing this almost 40 years, it goes up, it comes down, always happens. The higher it goes that further it falls, seen it too many times. Maybe this time I can actually make some real money if I play it right.

1 hour ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Come out to the boonies of N Central MA. Cheap houses aplenty.  Teeth not so much

I actually went through hubbardston last weekend. I kept seeing your log on and thought I had never been. Do you live near the guy with the big plastic Chicken in his yard?

Just now, kdxken said:

I actually went through hubbardston last weekend. I kept seeing your log on and thought I had never been. Do you live near the guy with the big plastic Chicken in his yard?

I've been through a few times, I think its the pallet capital of the US.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, DavisStraight said:

I've been through a few times, I think its the pallet capital of the US.

Lots and lots of trees. Is that all private land along route 62?

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

In neighborhoods in Baltimore where it has occurred, prices skyrocket as a bunch of white liberals move in, pushing out the original poor (usually African-American) residents.

Debating if this is a good question to ask but I'm genuinely curious, why are only liberals moving back into the city and not conservatives?  You pointed out the political affiliation, just trying to think through the "why" one group over another would move back into the city.  One more drawn to the country lifestyle, land and freedom, away from fast-paced city life?  Running for the mountains?

Not looking for opinions on political affiliation, but just a general curiosity of behavior.

33 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Lots and lots of trees. Is that all private land along route 62?

So much wood.  Contact your doctor if wood remains for more than 4 hours.

6 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Debating if this is a good question to ask but I'm genuinely curious, why are only liberals moving back into the city and not conservatives?  You pointed out the political affiliation, just trying to think through the "why" one group over another would move back into the city.  One more drawn to the country lifestyle, land and freedom, away from fast-paced city life?  Running for the mountains?

Not looking for opinions on political affiliation, but just a general curiosity of behavior.

This is a split that has existed in this country since the 1950s, and probably before. It's an interesting question for sure. 

The gay community actually plays a large role in gentrification, and the fact is they lean left to a large degree. 

https://www.vice.com/en/article/nz5qwb/when-it-comes-to-gentrification-lgbtq-people-are-both-victim-and-perpetrator

Of course, there are also factors such as the draw of art and music venues that exist in urban areas, along with restaurants.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, kdxken said:

Lol. At the farm stand with mulch?  I’m about 1.5 miles north of their on a side road.  

FFA9E843-2B86-4BEC-BDCD-207F13B94402.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, PhineasC said:

Definitely. It's very hard to buy something rundown and just sit on it, however. The lower-level daily crime is overwhelming in parts of the city. Crimes such as theft, squatting, destruction of property, ripping out the copper from the walls, drug use, etc make it very hard to simply buy a cheap row home and wait for gentrification. Someone I know recently tried to do it and his place has been ransacked many times. He had to basically leave it as a bombed-out shell for now. He still routinely finds evidence of attempted forced entry when he goes down there to check on it.

That approach worked like a charm in Charlestown, MA. A lot of multi-millionaire townies cashing out over there in the last decade.

2 hours ago, STILL N OF PIKE said:

“Last dentist for 40 miles “ is posted Heading west on route 2 Westminster 

Well for some reason there's a ton of dentists in FIT.... Kind of weird but good I suppose.  

There's houses popping up all around my house, it's crazy how much they're building out here.  Sucks. Too many suburbanites moving West.  

24 minutes ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Lol. At the farm stand with mulch?  I’m about 1.5 miles north of their on a side road.  

Yeah but you guys have that giant egg farm everyone talks about.  Maybe that's why there's chicken stuff everywhere.  FIT Water owns a lot of land in Hubb too, keep dem reservoirs clean. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Hoth said:

That approach worked like a charm in Charlestown, MA. A lot of multi-millionaire townies cashing out over there in the last decade.

I see your point but the situation in Baltimore is much, much worse than Boston was at its worst. Boston’s deadliest year (1990) had 143 murders. Baltimore had 330 last year. They are similar size cities (population wise). 

But Baltimore should fear not-St. Louis is still outpacing it (by quite a wide margin in fact). Other contenders are Memphis and New Orleans. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bch2014 said:

I see your point but the situation in Baltimore is much, much worse than Boston was at its worst. Boston’s deadliest year (1990) had 143 murders. Baltimore had 330 last year. They are similar size cities (population wise). 

But Baltimore should fear not-St. Louis is still outpacing it (by quite a wide margin in fact). Other contenders are Memphis and New Orleans. 

But they have great crab

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, kdxken said:

I can give you a full tour of Quabbin and Franklin Co hill towns.  Pick Dave up on your way through and we can make a day of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Whineminster said:

Well for some reason there's a ton of dentists in FIT.... Kind of weird but good I suppose.  

Some dentists are actually ET's putting implants in people for research purposes.

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Brian5671 said:

yeah alot of people saying here on the home inspection-do one, but don't ask for anything to be fixed.....

We bought in August of last year....there were multiple offers on the first day. We were told by our good friend, who was also our realtor to not ask for anything, basically a take it or leave it situation. Just spoke to him recently and he said he would probably list our house for 80 to 100k more than we paid for it, just 9 months ago. It seems like 4 bedroom houses are a hot commodity right now...

The housing market is stupid crazy right now.  I feel bad any buyer that is overpaying now and is going to be forced into selling in 5 years when everyone realizes how much people overpayed.  My in-laws bought a house on the cape in 2014 for around $320K and just sold for $500k cash.  They've done ZERO work to the house and I would argue it's in worse condition now than when they bought it.  They had bought a condo in Florida so they have a place to stay.  The house isn't worth $400k, in my opinion, and I'm guessing the market is going to correct at some point.  I have plenty of friends that bought at the peak before the 2008 market crashed that had to write checks to get out of their houses when they needed to move/upgrade years later.  I have to think this is going to happen again.

13 hours ago, HoarfrostHubb said:

Some good investment opportunities in cities like that if you know what you are doing...which I don’t. Lol.   I wouldn’t live there just due to the humidity, never mind crime etc. 

Most gaggingly humid place I've ever lived, and Hopkins is at the 2900 block, well north of downtown.  Also saw the biggest rats imaginable down closer to city center - big as a Guinea pig, looked like they would be a match for the average cat.

• Haha 1

I'm currently looking for a 2 family house right now. Everything here in NYC is 700k plus.

Jfc:weep:

Not only this but I'm also planning a wedding at the same time.

36 minutes ago, QCD17 said:

The housing market is stupid crazy right now.  I feel bad any buyer that is overpaying now and is going to be forced into selling in 5 years when everyone realizes how much people overpayed.  My in-laws bought a house on the cape in 2014 for around $320K and just sold for $500k cash.  They've done ZERO work to the house and I would argue it's in worse condition now than when they bought it.  They had bought a condo in Florida so they have a place to stay.  The house isn't worth $400k, in my opinion, and I'm guessing the market is going to correct at some point.  I have plenty of friends that bought at the peak before the 2008 market crashed that had to write checks to get out of their houses when they needed to move/upgrade years later.  I have to think this is going to happen again.

Many Americans are terrible with money and terrible at judging market forces so I think some of this mad rush to move to a new house is a form of mass hysteria. I am seeing people around here jumping from one suburb to another in basically the same exact style and size of house, but probably paying a premium. They seem to just be caught up in a craze. They are told it's "time to buy" so off they go...

1 minute ago, MJO812 said:

I'm currently looking for a 2 family house right now. Everything here in NYC is 700k plus.

Jfc:weep:

Not only this but I'm also planning a wedding at the same time.

LOL

We already gave you the solution, but you want to stay in NYC to be near your family. So you will never own a home.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tamarack said:

Most gaggingly humid place I've ever lived, and Hopkins is at the 2900 block, well north of downtown.  Also saw the biggest rats imaginable down closer to city center - big as a Guinea pig, looked like they would be a match for the average cat.

LOL

Tell us how you really feel about Baltimore.

Having grown up with that humidity, I can't help but laugh at the New England crew when they complain about a "day of high dews" with something like 80 degrees and 75% humidity. That's like a beautiful dry summer day in Baltimore.

I also laugh at the crew that begs for "oppressive heat and humidity" in New England. I am pretty sure they have no idea what that really means.

6 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

We already gave you the solution, but you want to stay in NYC to be near your family. So you will never own a home.

I eventually will in Staten Island but I will be paying about 800k most likely. 

My friend owns a house in Long Island and he pays 21k in property tax.

5 minutes ago, PhineasC said:

LOL

Lol.  Let’s all buy starter homes in Baltimore together. I’m in so long as you and Jay are next door neighbors. :lol:

• Haha 1